The Witcher - In House Preview @ Voodoo Extreme

magerette

Hedgewitch
Voodoo Extreme has posted a lengthy preview of CdProjekt's rpg, The Witcher, covering it feature by feature in a multimedia format:
With European and North American builds installed we delved into the world of The Witcher for an exclusive hands-on preview that includes twelve High Definition gameplay movies, 80 odd screenshots, impressions, and two 'making of' movies.
This is a hands on preview, so expect some SPOILERS
You can view the preview here.

Thanks to leth for pointing this out in the forums.
More information.

In the immortal words of Crush the tortoise in "Finding Nemo": "Righteous!! RIGHTEOUS!!!"

Watch video:
Dialogue with dwarven blacksmith
http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/videos/latest/

If you click on Polish flage (red&white ;) ) you can also see Polish version and e.g. compare voices. Well in Polish is more sarcastic and not every line is translated into English:
e.g. in English when dwarf was talking about gallows especially for dwarves, Geralt asked: "What was special about them?"
"Nothing. But all extra wood can be used to make other goods" in Polish version dwarf added: "like litlle wood swords for kids".

This "preview" is one in name only. Considering the amount of multimedia content, for a gamer trying to decide whether or not to purchase, I would call this a "review." Because If a person isn't decided on whether or not to get this game after watching all this then they have serious decision making problems!

The only faults I can give it are 1) lip synchs are horribly off still - hopefully a patch will address that. 2) The plethora of loading screens will get annoying very fast when you are in the city. Still, if that's what it takes for a smooth game engine then I can live with that.

Everything else looks better than fantastic.

Watch video:
Dialogue with dwarven blacksmith
http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/videos/latest/
If you click on Polish flage (red&white ;) ) you can also see Polish version and e.g. compare voices.

Just did. While Geralt's English dubbing is not that bad when judged in its own merit, is pathetic compared to the Polish one.

English voice actor : Trying very hard to sound tough = I'm really, really weak, no really.

Polish voice actor : Flawless! (Who is he BTW? Let me guess, a national star?)

Not that it would matter to most gamers, most games have awful dubbing anyway.

not every line is translated into English ... in Polish version dwarf added: "like litlle wood swords for kids".

You think that might be part of Atari's censorship program? I'm beginning to doubt that there is such thing as an 'uncut English version', or, let me rephrase, 'uncut Atari version' (taking into account other translations as well). After all, who knows how many mentally unstable kids would start constructing wooden swords and start killing people after hearing such a phrase :lol: We're saving lives here!!!

You think that might be part of Atari's censorship program? I'm beginning to doubt that there is such thing as an 'uncut English version', or, let me rephrase, 'uncut Atari version' (taking into account other translations as well). After all, who knows how many mentally unstable kids would start constructing wooden swords and start killing people after hearing such a phrase :lol: We're saving lives here!!!

The problem is that the developers are Poles. And by that I dont mean they are less profesional, but they feel more sure when adressing to people from their own culture. So they arent afraid of including some idioms, quotes and other links to polish mass-culture. And of course they know that most polish fans of the game read Sapkowskis books and they use that to their advantage(of course polish fans are gratified by that too).

Thats how I see it, but who knows maybe youre right Lethal Weapon.

In Eglish version mostly lack endings of senteces, also sometimes whole sentences. I think it was mostly done because they didn't want to record so many lines of dialoge as CDProject did for Polish version. So probably economic reason.

Onother example:
English:
"Why humans prosecuted non-humans?"
"Humans've always hated dwarves and elves"

Polish:
"And why *** goes into ***? (It's not vulgar, it sounds archaic and funny- but I have no idea how to translate it). That's natural order. Humans've always fighted with dwarves and elves. Not me who should decide who is to blame."

When dwarf explains who are squirrels and that they fight for rights of non-humans (in Polish adds: for you terrorists and instigators)

Damn, I want the Polish version with English subtitles. I bet there's no way to get that though...

In Eglish version mostly lack endings of senteces, also sometimes whole sentences...

Onother example:
English:
"Humans've always hated dwarves and elves"

Polish:
"And why *** goes into ***? (It's not vulgar, it sounds archaic and funny- but I have no idea how to translate it). That's natural order. Humans've always fighted with dwarves and elves. Not me who should decide who is to blame."

You got to be kidding me. If I counted correctly they managed to convert a 27-word sentence to 7 words. That's a 4:1 compression ratio, better than 7z!

Damn, I want the Polish version with English subtitles. I bet there's no way to get that though...

Well, you can always learn Polish :lol:

They probably also cut animation :).

Sorry, I don't quite understand. You mean finishing moves, or what? And why do you say 'probably'?

Not to take away his priveledge of answering, but I think zima probably meant they cut the animations that was necessary for those extra lines of dialogue that were cut. That would only make sense. I haven't heard anything being censored or edited other than nipples and the odd genitalia here and there. :)

Sort of. No firm plans have been announced but it has been said the team would like to do it -- after release and any important issues have been planned. Whether Atari agrees...?

Sorry, I don't quite understand. You mean finishing moves, or what? And why do you say 'probably'?

I meant exactly what Jabberwocky wrote. Sorry for this shortcut in thinking. I think they just made dialoges shorter in English version, but I say probably because I can't compare whole two versions. It's just impresion from this dialoge with dwarf which I saw.

I read on the Polish boards some time ago that they plan an international demo closer to Christmas, but I don't have much time now so I won't search for a link...

Back
Top Bottom