Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Kickstarter?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A poster on NeoGAF shares some new information on Kingdom Come: Deliverance from a magazine called Level CZ. I will keep you updated as Warhorse has an announcement later today.
First real info from CZ magazine

-> no publisher found - kickstarter (500 000,-) - if they hit it rest of the devlopment pays investor(czech millionare), if not development ends
- thx to no publisher - game will be cut to 3 episodes with 30h of gameplay each
- main character is young blacksmith
- equip will be realistic - layers of clothes+armor inc. underpants
- every hit will be calculated in real time, so if you hit someone with the sword on helmet first will be evaluated damage to the helmet, further will be calulated transfer of force to the head of the enemy and other possible injuries and at the same moment will be also calculated the trajectory of the sword that slides from the on the shoulder and collarbone …
- more info on KS with new trailer at evening
More information.

Last edited:
hmm. Wasn't it said that they wouldn't do a Kickstarter? Or did I misunderstood something?

Also, the KS is a all or nothing despite the game having been in dev for 2+ years?

According to the last blog article no publisher was announced yet.
One of the publishers who had been to visit us had their greenlight meeting shortly after, but for some reason our game hadn’t made it to the agenda. The next one would be held in a month, and our takeaway from that turn of events was that further interaction would be unproductive. The other big publisher also postponed their decision about our game to their next greenlight meeting, so we counted them out, too.

The smaller publisher, however, started exhibiting increased activity. They wanted more info about our budget, a playable demo, and to do their own focus group testing. It looks promising.

If this does not work out, though, we have a problem. The only other option would be to try to persuade our investor to back the whole game by himself – not very likely – or to find a co-investor. We tried contacting a few people, but it didn’t look good. One investment banker from London told us in no uncertain terms that PC and consoles are dead, and if we’re not making a free-to-play MMO for iPad, we’ve got no chance. This is, of course, rubbish, but being right is little help to us.

So that’s where we stand. We believe in our game, but selling a novel concept to publishers is difficult. Welcome to the exciting world of game development!
They may have no choice but to use kickstarter now as funding is running out. The site will have a new announcement later today. The clock is ticking down.

It has promise, so it is likely I will back a KS campaign -- unless their pitch is really bad. :p

Not liking the episodic approach, though...

If they do their KS campaign right, there's a good chance of reaching the $500K.
Not liking the episodic approach, though…
Me neither, but a single episode of 30h is more than some complete full priced games these days. Would be ok for me.

-> no publisher found - kickstarter (500 000,-) - if they hit it rest of the devlopment pays investor(czech millionare), if not development ends
That's one if too many.

- thx to no publisher - game will be cut to 3 episodes with 30h of gameplay each
I bet this is a blatant lie. The plan was 3 games from the start.

- main character is young blacksmith
Ooh, not an old woodcutter? This will be a hit!

- equip will be realistic - layers of clothes+armor inc. underpants
Can't wait to grab screenshots of realistic underpants. Unlike Beckham underpants made by photoshop!

- every hit will be calculated in real time, so if you hit someone with the sword on helmet first will be evaluated damage to the helmet, further will be calulated transfer of force to the head of the enemy and other possible injuries and at the same moment will be also calculated the trajectory of the sword that slides from the on the shoulder and collarbone …
Erm... Is this RPG or is just another shooter?

I'm unsure what are these guys trying to do. If they've approached publishers with a presentation like this here, I'm not surprised everyone turned them down. Publishers don't care about fancy underpants, damage calculations or age of the main character! Well... Unless the publisher is EA and the game is Sims. Others will fund what they believe will sell easily.

Maybe I went too negative on the whole thing, so I'll stop here and wait for the new announcement later.

I want this game to be made. No one else has wanted to make a true big budget medieval RPG, and Mount & Blade doesn't count. I can't wait for the announcement.

That's one if too many.
Sure you got this right?
I think that's just one if. The 2nd if not imho is more an else.

I only want this game to be made if it is fun to play alas we won't know until it is made if this will be fun to play :)
-
Aha the catch-22. Still these guys do have a lot of experience. My guess is that either no publisher wanted to fund it or wanted to fund it with reasonable terms (remember they already have an outside investor who has some say). Given that most publishers terms are not so reasonable to begin with we can see how there might have been some issues here.
-
I have no clue if this game will obtain $100K, $200K, 500K or 1+ million on kickstart - always hard to judge in advance but at least these guys have some previous work to support their 'know how' and this sort of thing seems super popular in europe (less so in usa) so maybe there is a chance.

My biggest concern is that it might be too specialize. I hope they do a 60 day kickstart to give them some time to make a strong case and spread the word.

I want this game to be made. No one else has wanted to make a true big budget medieval RPG, and Mount & Blade doesn't count. I can't wait for the announcement.

If the game has been in development for over 2 years, surely they will have some early gameplay footage to show? All they've released so far is a teaser trailer and some concept art. Looks nice really but doesn't tell us anything about what the game will play like. If they're shooting for $500K then they're either going to need Brian Fargo's help or give a lot more details to really persuade people to throw money at this.

But what concerns me most at this point is, it appears all of the development teams' previous work is on shooters. Now, it's very likely those were just the games they had to work on to pay the bills and KC: D is the game they always wanted to make... but still in the back of my mind, I have to wonder, do they know how to make an RPG?

Making an "Open world RPG" is a very ambitious goal. Skyrim is huge but full of boring fetch quests and other MMO style quests. From their blog, it seems KC: D developers really want to avoid common pitfalls and tired RPG tropes, but it isn't yet clear to me that they know what to put in it.

Looks like the site went down so the update will be late. In the meantime here is some more early footage.

Ok first off, the name of the magazine is Level (CZ means czech). It is trustworthy magazine with almost 20 years of history, and they have close ties to Dan Vavra (lead designer of Kingdom Come/Mafia) - he wrote reviews for them and often attends their podcasts.
(you can see one such podcast with Vavra here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiIeNpMnwpA
They discuss the game quite a bit)

Second, the game was indeed never intended to be split into 3 episodes, but after they did not suceed getting a publisher (at any favourable conditions), they decided to do this in order to get the playable stuff out sooner and manage the budget better.

Third, favourite game of Dan Vavra of all time is Fallout 1, and recently Fallout New Vegas. Their other lead dev is guy who designed czech tabletop game Dragon's Den - very successful game here (think DnD, in czech). I am not worried about the game's quality.

Fourth, they already released about 30 seconds of official footage in gameplay, in the Cryengine showcase reel. Just google it. They will release more footage with the Kickstarter.

Hopefully they will not fuck up this kickstarter pitch.

I may have missed it, but have there been any recent KickStarter campaigns that have been successful at this amount without a well known front man or studio?

I couldn't think of any off the top of my head and aside from the money printing phenomenon that is Star Citizen most of the media is tired of KickStarter stories which make getting the word out and buzz going even harder. It looks interesting, but my own KS fatigue has set in and we will have to see how this comes out.

For an Eastern European studio, my gut says it will miss the funding targets even at $300K though. :(

Thanks for the information Paul.:thanks:

I know all about the early footage as we covered it on site. I can't wait for the full update for conformation on this. As I said it will be an instant back for me.

Here is a small update about the site-
Sorry guys for leting you wait for so long. Everything is fixed, prepared and ready to launch, but one unexpected obstacle appeared, so we will be able to press the LAUNCH button in a few hours. We are doing averything to make it happen ASAP. An I think, that you will not be dissapointed ;)

I may have missed it, but have there been any recent KickStarter campaigns that have been successful at this amount without a well known front man or studio?

I couldn't think of any off the top of my head and aside from the money printing phenomenon that is Star Citizen most of the media is tired of KickStarter stories which make getting the word out and buzz going even harder. It looks interesting, but my own KS fatigue has set in and we will have to see how this comes out.

For an Eastern European studio, my gut says it will miss the funding targets even at $300K though. :(

They have some good credentials behind them. Mafia 1+2, Operation Flashpoint, Hidden and Dangerous 2 - those are all classic, 9/10 kinds of games.
And I think when people see gameplay, their wallets will open by themselves.

No problem, but how about fixing the article? Magazine CZ makes me chuckle, not in a good way :)
I don't really see the problem, but it's fixed now.;)
It looks more like a Mount & Blade clone than anything.
A bigger and more beautiful Mount & Blade clone with better NPC interaction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom