Dead State - Design Update: Pitchfork

Man, I dig crap like this. Lots of stats...an actual ruleset.

I get why the big studios don't bother making games like this anymore. I'm sure it's not easy coming up with an original and balanced ruleseet, though I wish they'd use well-established ones like D&D more often, or I should say use them properly more often. I'm sure it's much easier in most ways to make pretty pictures, visceral thrills (which I usually don't find very thrilling) and awesome buttons than it is to expend careful, creative thought. The latter is a lot of work, I have no doubt.

The games I'm truly looking forward to now are Dead State, Age of Decadence and Knight of the Chalice 2, now that he's adding a good selection of classes to play.

It's seems I've landed squarely in the indie-game boat. And I'm not saying that's a bad place to be. I just wish it didn't feel so much like I was pushed there.

I know what you mean, but in a way it's a good thing. I would have never discovered some of the outstanding indies being made if it wasn't for the lack of quality big-budget RPGs.

Yeah, you've got a point there, Nere. And props to the Watch, without which I probably never would have heard of such interesting titles as Dead State.

Love it. Can't wait for this to be released.

Same here. AoD seems to be getting most of the attention, but Dead State is the one I'm interested in.

I didn't know until recently that Brian Mitsoda did the writing for Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines.

This and AoD will be day one buys for me. Hopefully both will do well enough that they can aim some money and effort towards getting Cyclopean done (unless it was completely scrapped which would suck).

As for the pitchfork, given the choice I'd much rather have the HL style crowbar. I'd rather be able to use one end to bash a head, the other end to stab a head and the whole thing as a prybar than to just be able to stab a head (and probabyl get stuck in it) and bail some hay. But I guess you make due with what you've got.

hmm, it worked with a US proxy... maybe it is some routing error in europe? any european / swede tried it ?

hmm, it worked with a US proxy… maybe it is some routing error in europe? any european / swede tried it ?

Works for me in Switzerland, but I had the same problem a couple of times already.

so creative.

the indie side of games is really hittin' the big jews at EA Jewvision with their originality.

next Dead State update: vibrating dildo

pros
shove up anus of opponent for ton of damage
high crit multiplier
causes fear in sentient opponents

cons
short range
makes you gay if you do it to a man
requires batteries

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a post here at the Watch that Cyclopean was, indeed, scrapped.

Edit: Not being sure about this was bothering me. Sadly, it's true:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061025937

However, Vince posted shortly after the announcement that he would try to discuss options with Scott after AoD releases, and I suppose, provided it has some degree of success so they can consider to continue to make games. Of course there are other plans for potential next games as well, so I guess its only one option, and there is Dead State to be finished as well. Still, I guess the project has a slight chance of being revived one day. It would be great though, Scott has a knack for writing in the spirit of Lovecraft, and it could easily have become the most literary game since Planescape.

next Dead State update: vibrating dildo

"Where's Dildo ?" is already a side-game of the last Larry Laffer game Al Lowe was working on (you know, this Yacht game).

Wow, talk about a detailed stat and combat system from this article, all this on the pitchfork weapon. Good stuff.

The games I'm truly looking forward to now are Dead State, Age of Decadence and Knight of the Chalice 2, now that he's adding a good selection of classes to play.
Captain, you and I have a lot in common (specifically, our taste in computer games).

I guess you're a boring turn-based guy, too, huh? :p

Back
Top Bottom