'Need A Debit Card' Twitter Account Proves Infinite Stupidity Of Humans

zahratustra

SasqWatch
"There are certain things that you should not tweet because they are annoying: your FourSquare check-ins; Instagram photos of your lunch meat; the artist and the song you are currently listening to on iTunes.

And then there are tweets that cross over the line from annoying to stupid. For example -- I don't know, just spit-ballin' here -- tweeting out photos of the front of your debit card with none of the numbers blacked out."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-twitter_n_1645892.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

Just when you thought it can't get any more stupid...

I wonder if it can be claimed that, since the card was voluntarily posted on the web without copyrights, it become a public domain? :)

That's why In Canada all debit cards must be Smart with an Encoded Chip and Pin ID.
The US is gradually going that way also. I remember doing serious PCI Compliance Testing a few years ago. It's also mandatory on any Point of Sale device that the credit debit card numbers be partially masked on the receipt and fully encoded in the data transaction (Tlog).

I know Mexico and some of Latin America Countries have not complied with this yet.

Which doesn't help much with on-line transactions now does it?

You generally can't use Canadian debit cards online as they're not linked to a credit card. I mean, there is an 'Interac Online' system but it's pretty rare to find a retailer that accepts it!

Whenever I do an online transaction, I need to insert my card into a small device which reads the chip, then input my pin number, which will give me a code that I then use to verify the transaction.

Eh... you're joking, right?

Whenever I do an online transaction, I need to insert my card into a small device which reads the chip, then input my pin number, which will give me a code that I then use to verify the transaction.

Your computer has a built-in ATM??

I have this card reader, size of a small calculator, which I am suppose to use for online banking. You have to activate the card for use with the reader - which I haven't done.

My bank is pretty fast at stopping anything it thinks may be fraud which means that I have had to talk to them a few times but it learns quickly.

I suppose unless you have been hit by fraud it might seem like a lot of effort.

Add to my To Do list.

Eh… you're joking, right?

This is security as it should be.
Sounds as if invented by a German. :lol:
There are still man-in-the-middle attacks, however.

Eh… you're joking, right?

Nope. Though I think I managed to make it sound more complex & inconvenient than it really is. This is what it looks like:
attachment.php

It is to prevent phishing & also to make stolen credit cards far less valuable.
It also makes impulse purchases far less likely for us who know our credit card number by heart, as we now need to spend those extra seconds needed to dig up our credit card from our wallets, and insert the code, thus giving ample time to think over the purchase.

Oh, and that is by the way not a local credit card, but a buss pass (a rather convenient thing really, but far more convenient than those in most other cities that I've visited, though that is a discussion for another thread)

Attachments

• cardr.JPG
    cardr.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 47
We recently had cases of shops here where … somehow (the investigators still don't know how) criominals managed to snag up the data from card readers in shops - you know, these devices with which you can pay by putting the own card into it and then typing a number … No-one really knows how they managed to do it.

Damn Swedes have all the cool stuff… :)

We have had pretty major issues with phishing and other forms of credit card fraud. As most people here have a payment card of some type, and a large part of those do online shopping, the amount of stolen credit cards have resulted in a lot of money being stolen this way.

Oh, and we don't even need to take the buss passes out of our pockets anymore. The machines at the busses are able to read them through our pockets (and wallets). You need to get quite close to the machines though, and it looks pretty.. odd.. when people try to be lazy like that (it looks like you are doing something almost naughty with the machine, so I usually take out my wallet and hold it up against the machine).

Back
Top Bottom