Elder Scrolls Online - Editorial @ Camelot Post

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A fool and their money…

Reminiscent of people who tripped over themselves to shell out $200 for a Hellgate London Founder subscription. Except, in this case, you don't even get the base game.

Oh well. Perhaps I'm in the minority with my penny-pinching ways these days. Everywhere I turn, there's more and more examples of bloated consumer excess. Or perhaps I'm getting old and crotchety. Likely some of both.

A fool and their money…

Reminiscent of people who tripped over themselves to shell out $200 for a Hellgate London Founder subscription. Except, in this case, you don't even get the base game.

Oh well. Perhaps I'm in the minority with my penny-pinching ways these days. Everywhere I turn, there's more and more examples of bloated consumer excess. Or perhaps I'm getting old and crotchety. Likely some of both.

If you have to think of people as fools because they don't share your disposition, then yes - you're likely a bit crotchety.

Shelling out $250 for temporary beta access to appease one's curiosity is more than simply "not sharing my disposition." I'll stand by my label for such wastrels.

Shelling out $250 for temporary beta access to appease one's curiosity is more than simply "not sharing my disposition." I'll stand by my label for such wastrels.

You can't even imagine people having more money than they need and spending it on something they care about - that you don't care about?

Have you ever spent money on something others would consider a waste? Imagine having a lot of money to spare - and then imagine you're not the only person in the world who spends money on something others consider a waste.

It's a very, very simple concept.

But again, if you really want to stand by being ignorant on that level, I can't stop you :)

Yes, forking over that kind of money for temporary access to a game you know little about beyond custom-tailored previews and hyped marketing is an unmitigated waste in my book, even if you have a private island.

Yes, forking over that kind of money for temporary access to a game you know little about beyond custom-tailored previews and hyped marketing is an unmitigated waste in my book, even if you have a private island.

Why would your book be relevant and why are people fools for having their own book?

I don't understand this. I could understand considering yourself a fool, because to you it's not worth it, obviously. But to feel you can know what other people think is worth their money seems a pretty bold claim to me.

Anyway, to each his own.

The better label for these people are "more money than sense"!

This discussion reminds me of an interview with some guy who had bought a Ferrari or similar. His reply to the classic "how can you spend that much money on a car?" was: "There are a lot of yachts in the harbor far more expensive than this car."

He's got a very good point. Yachts can easily cost 5-10 million USD (or more), and they aren't actually that rare. There are quite a few of them. On top of that, buying one is only the tip of the ice berg - actually owning and floating around in one costs even more.

Is it right or wrong for the difference between rich and poor to be that big? That's a discussion for another day, all I know is that some people literally have millions to spend on their hobbies. We're talking about people whose bank accounts aren't even bank accounts; it's a series of funds, private stocks and what not with tens of thousands going in and out every day. In such a context, $250 is an amount they won't even notice.

Even if they aren't rich - some people really DO care enough about things others might consider superfluous or a complete waste of time.

It's just the nature of how personal preferences work.

I would never, ever, buy an expensive car - no matter how much money I had, or at least I don't see that happening.

That's because I don't give a shit about cars - beyond merely as a means of transportation that doesn't get me wet or cold.

But if people think some car is worth dozens of times more because it's pretty or whatever - who am I to argue with that?

I agree it just depends on what you care about. I have only bought two cars in my lifetime and I am 44 yrs old. But I have also spent way too much money at strip clubs a few times in my life. :) Hey someone needs to put those girls thru college.

Back
Top Bottom