Tssss, no save

I think saving should be banned from all RPG's! Diablo 2 style.

Now you can just make a choice.. and if you are not happy with it load, and make another choice. During dialogues that are supposed to be tricky to complete or riddles you just load and save until you get it right. In the mini-games you just win, get the gold, save, load again, play get the gold save, repeat. If you die you just load, never lose any XP never any items. If you commit a crime and get caught you just load your save. This also removes all excitement from the game.. oooops I died okay I will just load no problem.

HORRIBLE! Saving really puts a high restriction on RPG's and ruins them in many ways. HOWEVER, the way it is done in Fable and Bard's Tale is NOT the way to do it. It sounds like the majority of you disagree... but at least you have to agree I have some valid points above!

Thats right. You are a sharp girl.

anytime saves are for women.
anytime men are for roqua.

i have no desire to argue or converse with you roqua and would stay out of any of your posts but if you can't do it without insulting someone then i see it as fair game, like throwing rotten vegtables at a bad stage performer.

Professor Roqua may be somewhat unconventional in his hypothesis, but I pretty much agree with it's conclusion - manic saving is for the weak. However, I do think that it should be left up to the player to decide whether he or she wants to be a sissy or not, so in the end I'm an advocate of the omni-save.

Not to mention (but I'll mention it anyway) some games tend to randomly crash, so I would also point out that omni-save in these types of situations can really be a "save" indeed. I probably never would have finished Morrowind had it not been for my random paranoia saves.

My main objection to roqua's comments is the insult he flung at Hippies!! I resemble that remark!! :)

I probably never would have finished Morrowind had it not been for my random paranoia saves.

Very True, I save around every 5 minutes in morrowind, and back up my saves at the end of a session. :D

I believe I should be able to save where and when I want. I hardly ever reload, exept when I die. I defenitely won't reload for loot or dialog options, I have to say.

As for Roqua's "Anytime saves are for women", maybe he's right. For women and people with actual lifes. ;)
I'm sorry, but Fable really turned me off with the Save system (well, not just that, but that's beside the point here), especially once I had to do the arena fights, I never made it past those.
I want to be able to save and exit whenever it suits me. I can't delay dinner, not pick up the kids, tell the little one to get lost when she wants to play snakes and ladders, and so on, just because I have to find the next Save point! No, I need to be able to save wherever I want, whenever I want, so I can pick up where I left, else I'll never finish a game.

I suppose it is one of the main reasons I just can't get into console gaming, I hate having Save points forced on me.

A system like Diablo's annoys me as well, and I keep making seperate backups. I suppose I've had so many corrupted saves with games like Morrowind, that I am weary of having just 1 Save in a game. :)

There's nothing like having someone whom lives in a bubble making decisions for everyone else, right? :p

Anytime saves are for women, unless the game is ironman. So I guess anytime save/reload is for women, and anytime save with ironman is good
And sexist remarks like these are for the small-minded, which you apparently are.

nowadays are awfully buggy, and at times they crash,

I said saving done right, this means that the game always saves but there's no loading. Thus on a crash you continue where you left off. Bugs however makes this feature impossible especially game breaking bugs... but I don't think a newly realeased game should have that amount of bugs... and having this system would force them to release the games in a better shape.

With saving done right, I also don't mean replaying an entire part when you die! Nor do I mean ironman, that is only for the really hard-core players.

When you die in Ultima 7, you start in a chapel and you even get on a new story-line...... in other games you get to go to a kind of netherworld were you can find items not possible to find at other places. Upon completing this "world" you get back to where you were in the game... however you might lose some XP or items etc. The idea of having to replay the exactly same large part over and over is not fun in most RPG's. I am talking about handling this in the right way!

By the way I find Roqua funny... not really insulting.

There are games allowing you to abuse the save system. If you don't like the outcome of a battle or a negotiation you simply quickload and do not live with the consequences like a man :) and living with the consequences might turn out as the most fun you had with a game in years.

My main objection to roqua's comments is the insult he flung at Hippies!! I resemble that remark!! :)

I really doubt roqua is old enough to have any clear idea of what a hippy is or is not. Someone too lazy to take a risk?Sitting in a Chicago lock-up for protesting the 1967 Democratic convention, watching people getting beat up by cops for trying to protest a morally bankrupt war--oh, no, there was no risk there.

roqua I also am not offended by the woman remark, but I think you mean "druggie", not hippy.

As for Roqua's "Anytime saves are for women", maybe he's right. For women and people with actual lifes. ;)
I'm sorry, but Fable really turned me off with the Save system (well, not just that, but that's beside the point here), especially once I had to do the arena fights, I never made it past those.
I want to be able to save and exit whenever it suits me. I can't delay dinner, not pick up the kids, tell the little one to get lost when she wants to play snakes and ladders, and so on, just because I have to find the next Save point! No, I need to be able to save wherever I want, whenever I want, so I can pick up where I left, else I'll never finish a game.

Ironman will save aand exit when it suits you. I have a family also, but when I play a game, I play it with both my Humongous testicles flapping between my legs that want a challenge. I’m with you that console games are stupid though, but I don’t think the problem with the games you play is the save options, its actually the games themselves.

anytime saves are for women.
anytime men are for roqua.

i have no desire to argue or converse with you roqua and would stay out of any of your posts but if you can't do it without insulting someone then i see it as fair game, like throwing rotten vegtables at a bad stage performer.

PLEASE STOP!!! Your insults hurt bad and are not confusing at all.

My main objection to roqua's comments is the insult he flung at Hippies!! I resemble that remark!!

Well, I guess it's time to put down the refer, get a job, and stop saving and reloading every three seconds, you damn hippy.

And sexist remarks like these are for the small-minded, which you apparently are.

Maybe this was a failure a communication. When I said women I meant those that are weak of mind and body, the sissy pansies, which includes a majority of the population of men. Especially those that save/reload a lot or drink flavored coffee or mixed drinks and use hair products. Maybe if I just used the term girl you wouldn’t have found any offense in my statement?

And if sexist remarks are for the small minded, what are regular insulting remarks like yours for, the intellectuals?

GothicGothicness,

You are a true man, despite the fact that you are a female. You have more grit, gumption, guts, and testosterone in your little finger than most people born with a penis have in their whole labia. Most people fail to understand that being a man has nothing to do with physical appearance and genitalia, it’s the innate qualities that make someone deserving of the title. What makes a king out of a slave? What makes the flag on the mast to wave? What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? What makes the dawn come up like thunder? What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What don’t they have that we got?

P.s. I do see the irony in quoting from the Wizard of Oz in a paragraph devoted to manly qualities. Man-up Ladies.

I really doubt roqua is old enough to have any clear idea of what a hippy is or is not. Someone too lazy to take a risk?Sitting in a Chicago lock-up for protesting the 1967 Democratic convention, watching people getting beat up by cops for trying to protest a morally bankrupt war--oh, no, there was no risk there.

roqua I also am not offended by the woman remark, but I think you mean "druggie", not hippy.

Maybe you didn't read the last sidequest thread on this site. Labels, like hippy and rpg, do not have to have any attachment or correlation to their historic meaning. Hippy now means people that save/reload a lot when playing rpgs. And rpg now means any video game made. Get with the times.

and living with the consequences might turn out as the most fun you had with a game in years.

This is yet another one of my points. You might think that being arrested and losing all your items sucks! So you just load, but you might be missing the most exciting escape in any game ever.

Maybe this was a failure a communication. When I said women I meant those that are weak of mind and body, the sissy pansies, which includes a majority of the population of men. Especially those that save/reload a lot or drink flavored coffee or mixed drinks and use hair products. Maybe if I just used the term girl you wouldn’t have found any offense in my statement?
You clearly don't get it - associating weakness of mind and body with any particular gender, race or other such generalization is demonstrably wrong. The failure is entirely yours.

And if sexist remarks are for the small minded, what are regular insulting remarks like yours for, the intellectuals?
Actually, I made the obvservation that sexist remarks, racist remarks and other such things are the hallmarks of those small-minded individuals without intellectual prowess to form an actual argument, and that by using such remarks you give appearances that tie you to such individuals.

I disagree. Racist, sexist, or any other type of bigoted remarks are hilarious and make the world go round.

I disagree. Racist, sexist, or any other type of bigoted remarks are hilarious and make the world go round.

OK, so long as we are clear that you are a troll with no ideas to be taken seriously ...

Whew ... now with that out of the way ...

I look at the need for insta-saves as being indicative of poor level design on the part of the developers. On big open game, I don't know the best system, but there has to be something better than 'iterating to success'.

Overall I think that a difficulty system tied to saves isn't bad ..

If I want a challenge I play tetris. If I want consequences I play tabletop rpg, there you have infinite opportunities to set things right if something bad happens, in RPG's dialogue is often awful enough that you do not always know if a dialogue option is intended as insult or compliment (since you do not know the tone of the voice when the line is said).

I play computergames almost exclusively for the fun ride and the story.
A challenge worth something to me is buying myself a house or having a child. Computer games can never get close to that.

This is very much my own impression as well.

Someone once said to me : *Real* strength is when you can be weak.

Back
Top Bottom