Skyrim - Review @ Gamers Daily News

aries100

SasqWatch
Jeff Lindsey from Gamers Daily news has penned a review from this game. The review titled "A different look at Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" and can be found here. The score is 9/10 and here's a sample:
I have spent many hours just sneaking around town stealing items for no reason other than to quench the thirst of kleptomania. On more than one occasion this caused me to be pursued by a shop keep or homeowner. One such instance had an invincible shop keep chasing me for about 45 minutes. Sure, I could have let him kill me or went to jail, but as I said, you can do anything and I wanted to enjoy the chase.
Skyrim, though immersive and full of choices, does not carry consequences for your actions. Rather it resembles a “Choose-your-own-Adventure” book. In the books, you would be given a decision like, “Terrorists have hijacked your school bus. To wait for an opportunity to escape turn to page 42, to jump off the bus now turn to page 68.” When you turn to page 68 and the book says “The bus is going too fast and your body is splattered on the asphalt,” you immediately claim that you didn’t choose that and turn to the other option. Likewise in Skyrim, I found myself saving the game before every major decision and restoring that savegame if things didn’t go my way. In doing so, you never really face any consequences for your actions.
More information.

"I found myself saving the game before every major decision and restoring that savegame if things didn’t go my way. In doing so, you never really face any consequences for your actions."

No regular game has any consequences then. If you die should the game erase itself, I mean, YOU DIED!

Look how much people whine when there are limited saves.

LOL! Consequences avoided by restoring saved game? That's a fault of Skyrim? I guess someone is trying to justify crappy no save game designs...

although you "could" get around it by editing the game file itself Still Life 2 had an interesting puzzle at the end of the game where the villian spoke to the character that if this were a game he would make it so you couldn't just load a save and another characters life was in your hands. it was shocking when it happens and if you screwed up then another character actually died and although you could still finish the game you couldn't save the other charcter. of course an investment in an adventure game is far less in not just time than an rpg so a sense of loss is less.

not sure if this was addressed but i'm pretty sure plenty of games have a hardcore mode where death is death.

even though my saved games usually account for more hard drive space than the game itself for an open save game system, i'd gladly give a little if it fit the gameplay fairly. to be honesty a bad inventory system can waste much more time than having to go back to a save further back

I don't think I would enjoy a Dead is Dead playthrough in any game because unless I'm dying frequently, combat does not feel challenging enough.

Either it's possible to make it through a game for hundreds of hours without dying, in which case it would necessarily be too easy and boring, or I would never make it past Helgen.

Ultima 3 I recall left it so you couldn't escape out of combat and when you died your died. You had a to reboot the computer back in those days to save your game. In U4 LB fixed that by teleporting you back to him - much as 'your gods' might do in a lot of homespun D&D games and as documented in White Plume Mountain.

Wizardry was much more evil. If you died in the dungeon the game saved your spot in the scenario disk and you had to create a new party to try and rescue yourself. If your old characters were deep in the dungeon and your new ones were, well, new they had a lot of work to do just to get there.

Then there was the slight chance that resurrecting at the Temple of Cant might not work.

Many a day in the schools computer room when Mr White forgot to check on us after school to make sure no one was still in there there was constant panicks trying flip the drive open in time and not corrupt the scenario disk and backhand slamming on the top of them when they did.

Back
Top Bottom