Tyranny - Dev Diary #2 - Artistry in the Game

blablabla blablabla unique blablabla epic blablabla never seen before blablabla.
Big respect for creative guys and developers, but come on ... this piece of marketing shit.

To be honest, so far the game looks visually rather bland. It’s clear that on a technical level the graphics have improved, but if that’s a world ‘in transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age’ it looks surprisingly like generic fantasy and very un-bronze age-y. Unless you count the swords & sandals style leather skirts and quasi-Roman plumed helmets of course.

blablabla blablabla unique blablabla epic blablabla never seen before blablabla.
Big respect for creative guys and developers, but come on … this piece of marketing shit.

I didn't really see anything that seemed like over the top marketing hype.

What do you expect them to do anyway. Say thier really striving to make another run of the mill average fantasy game. Graphics and music will be ok and art style will be so-so. We really hope fans buy our game and enjoy it a bit at the beginning, tough through the Grindy middle and be glad it's over at the end. So please preorder as soon as it becomes available.

Anyway it looks good to me. I was pretty skeptical in the beginning but they have been slowly winning me over.

The character portrait art style has kind of a graphic novel look to it. I wonder if they are planning on some graphic novels to go with the release?

Do we know which orchestra that is? I like what I heard of the music score.

To be honest, so far the game looks visually rather bland. It’s clear that on a technical level the graphics have improved, but if that’s a world ‘in transition between Bronze Age and Iron Age’ it looks surprisingly like generic fantasy and very un-bronze age-y. Unless you count the swords & sandals style leather skirts and quasi-Roman plumed helmets of course.

They're portraying a dystopian land that has been devastated by evil. I don't think beauty would work for that; you want bland, ugly, broken, and hopeless.

I think it looks great and can't wait to play it. I am just hoping I don't feel forced into making choices I normally wouldn't in a game.

They're portraying a dystopian land that has been devastated by evil. I don't think beauty would work for that; you want bland, ugly, broken, and hopeless.

It's not about looking pretty or not, it just doesn't look very iron/bronze age-y, devastated and dystopian or not. It doesn't look 'bad' or non-dystopian but it feels bland to me. YMMV and all that.

Only glimpses but it appears they are making a "ugoigo" principle based product played in real time.

Eveyrhing smells of ugoigo, nothing of real time.

In the end, if they manage, this will turn into a reference for RT products. Meaning that players can kiss goodbye to RT justified products.

When inspired by the real world, then beauty should play a heavy part of it. As beauty is commonly used to justify consumption and the destruction going with it.

Their world should be filled with splendors, anything that could be used as a pretext to destroy the environment. High buildings, magnificent statues, dense infrastructures etc

Of course, instead of naming their title tyranny, they could have named it western, american, democracy.

Of course as they want to sell, they cant do that as they can not deliver a credible vision of a devasted, broken and hopeless world. Players play for escapism after all.

Hope it wont be as frontloaded and underwhelming as PoE was

Yep, have the exact same impression. I said the same thing in another thread where they had a different video about this game...it looks bland as hell...super generic...zero personality...it looks awful! I don't know what they are thinking, but damn...I was at first interested in this game just because of the story and scenario, but not anymore.

Have to agree with you there Arch.

Yep, have the exact same impression. I said the same thing in another thread where they had a different video about this game…it looks bland as hell…super generic…zero personality…it looks awful! I don't know what they are thinking, but damn…I was at first interested in this game just because of the story and scenario, but not anymore.

Well, I wouldn't call it awful, it looks sort of 'okay' if this were just another generic fantasy cRPG. But their own PR talk about bronze age/iron age etc. builds up expectations the visuals don't do justice at all.

Still, the game itself might be good, and the spellcrafting system sounds interesting. The visuals themselves, however, aren't selling the game to me.

Let's wait and see, perhaps the game still has wonderful sights to show us :fingerscrossed:

Unless White March is given for free to every owner of PoE than it has not made up anything at all.

There was a free giveaway/discount, to everyone but to grognards.
Well... that and the interviews ( These jokes never get old :p).

…it looks bland as hell…super generic…zero personality…

They are professional and keeping a watch over their sector is part of their job.
Not only that but they were crowdfunded.

So they hardly ignore that bland, super generic, zero personality is not an issue on the crowdfunded scene. It is the norm.

As they are now on a non crowdfunded project, they imported the norm (cultural contamination) and they were well advised to do so.

Back
Top Bottom