Risen Little Stuck in Harbor Town

SirDeity

Watchdog
Okay, so I spent a LONG time deciding which faction to join. The first faction area I explored was Don's Camp and it got me thinking, "WTF? Who are these arrogant mages showing up out of no where and taking what they want and treating people like insignificant garbage?" Then as I explored Harbor town and talked to some of the mages or Order of Fire members, I started thinking "Well, apparently Don's faction are all corrupt extortionists including rutheless pirates, thugs, theives, and general criminals." Some of the robed ones I didn't particularly like, but others convinced me they truly had good intentions (despite any disagreements I might have with their methods). So, that latest line of thought in conjunction with my desire to use melee AND magic (like a paladin), has me leaning toward joining the mages at the monestary.

So I'm currently in Harbor Town. As mentioned previously, I've only mostly explored Don's Camp and Harbor Town so far in my game progress. I figured out how to leave Harbor town by climbing over the wall near the back entrance where I first got inside. The problem with that strategy is it costs another 100 gold every time I want to re-enter.

I don't enjoy leaving quests unfinished, which bring me to my main incentive for posting this thread. I'm sort of stuck on 6 quests. Well, I'm assuming 2 of them (the first two in the list below) require leaving the town to complete so if I'm correct then I'm only actually stuck on 4 quests. The six are as follows:

Everything that isn't nailed down
I'm assuming this is one of the two that is done outside the town (based on the quest description, this seems fairly obvious).

The sons of Tilda

I'm also assuming this is one that is done outside the town because I doubt all her sons went missing in the small town. With all of the exploring I've done, it seems likely that I would have found them by now.

Find the burglar's spy!

My quest log is extremely long for this quest. Reading it seems somewhat pointless. I feel confident Doyle had something to do with it because he is the only common denominator (the one person all 3 victims say were present the day of the burglary). However, I can't find Doyle anywhere anymore. I spoke to him earlier and I think that was in Patty's tavern, but haven't found him since. When I try speaking to the guard he doesn't give me any dialogue options. The last time I spoke to the guard I mentioned Doyle as a suspect but didn't have any proof, so the guard just basically told me to keep investigating. How do I complete this quest?

The map of the island

I am assuming there is some trigger or point in the chapter progression that unlocks this map. I have gone to the cartographer (make maker) at least 15 times over the course of what must have been about two weeks game time but everytime the NPC just tells me "No," when I ask if the map is ready yet. I don't need a spoiler to tell me exactly when I'll get it if it will be unlocked automatically later on. If there is something I'm supposed to do though, please share.

Patty wants to leave town

Patty isn't the only one that wants me to help escape. There are also the three brothers that I bought the gold bowls from. They are gathered together near the base of the lighthouse waiting for me to let them know how they can safely escape the town. I'm assuming I'll be able to help Patty and these three brothers out once I gain access to enter and exit the city at will. I thought carlos or whatever his name was (the guy in charge of Harbor District) would give me access to come and go as I please once I met him but that wasn't the case. I spoke to him and he just gave me the quest Peace and Order and a bunch of experience and gold for past deeds. Now I'm thinking maybe he will give me access to come and go after I complete the Peace and Order quest. The I think I'll be able to help Patty and the brothers escape the Harbor Town.

Peace and Order
I literally spoke to every single NPC numerous times in Harbor Town (at least every NPC I could find) and I am quite literally clueless on this quest. I think maybe I pissed off some NPCs that are supposed to offer my dialogue to progress the quest but won't because they don't like me. If this is the case, I can probably just use the Joke scroll on them to reset their attitude toward me, but I only have like 2 scrolls so I can't afford to just guess which NPCs require it. What exactly am I supposed to do for the quest Peace and Order? Am I supposed to just draw my sword and slay all of don's men in the Harbor town? None of them even give me any dialogue options.

So those are the quests I'm currently trying to complete. The most important two are probably "Find the burglar's spy!" and "Peace and Order." They are the two that have me the most clueless. I'd also like to know what I have to do in order to gain free access to come and go through Harbor town. Lastly, just as a side question, can I use the pieces of armor to craft armor? I handed them in for the order for quest credit and money and then just pickpocketed them back immediately afterward.

Thanks for all of the replies!

What is your approval rating with each faction? As soon as it reaches 4/4 for either side, it closes off some of the quests.

To help Patty or the 3 brothers, you first have to find the hidden exit out of town.

I don't think I finished the sons of Tilda quest until at least Chapter 2.

You don't have to do anything special to get the map. I don't remember how long it takes for him to finish it, but I never even got it from him. I obtained it from somewhere else.

Doyle is on the 2nd floor of Costa's hotel. Save before speaking to him because there are several possible outcomes to that quest.

So you definitely want to be either a Mage, or a Warrior of the Order right? Because if you complete "Peace and Order", you'll no longer have the option to be a Bandit.

So you definitely want to be either a Mage, or a Warrior of the Order right? Because if you complete "Peace and Order", you'll no longer have the option to be a Bandit.

I want to be able to explore as much of the game content as possible and I think the best way to do that is to be able to use magic. Can someone explain the difference between Warrior of the Order and Mage? I understand Mage focuses more on magic whereas Warrior of the Order uses a combination of melee and magic but what are the associated restrictions involved? I want to be able to continue training my sword combat, strength, and have the option of hunting with my bow or crossbow when the mood strikes me as well as magic. Sometimes I feel like fighting with different things. The way I see it, I just want my character to be as versatile and as powerful as possible so that I'll have the ability to impose my influence for whatever I decide is right. I'll do whatever errands are necessary to open up the doors to give me access to these powers but once they are open I don't intend on being a pawn for any faction. I want to allow my own moral compass to guide me.

What is your approval rating with each faction? As soon as it reaches 4/4 for either side, it closes off some of the quests.
I don't remember what my approval ratings are but I do know that I am still a level 8 castaway. At least that is what the top left says on my character screen.

I think I just figured out how to do the Peace and Order quest. I saved the game and decided to try killing Cid just to see what would happen. It automatically made me join the Order and cancelled all of my current Don's Camp quests. So I think now I'm going to climb the wall and leave the Harbor town so I can do as many of Don's Camp quests without joining Don's faction for the experience/rewards, then return to Harbor town later to join the order. I don't agree with everything the order is doing but I'll try to find a way to set things right later in the game. Between Don's motive of gathering gold to resecure control of the island after the Order leaves and the Order trying to study the artifacts to save the island from destruction, I'm inclined to think the Order is the lesser of two evils here. I am a bit of a thief myself but the way I justify it is by telling myself I never steal anything vital to their survival and I need this stuff in order to succeed in my endevours to save the island. It isn't much different at all from the way the Order treats the natives of the island, except I'm nicer when interacting with people and I always make an effort to help people in need (finding beds, delivering potions, helping work, etc.)

May I make one small suggestion; spend some time at the brothel!! :) Oh, you do NEED to check out your faction ratings; these are VERY important at this stage of the game and have NOTHING to do with your player level!!

May I make one small suggestion; spend some time at the brothel!! :) Oh, you do NEED to check out your faction ratings; these are VERY important at this stage of the game and have NOTHING to do with your player level!!

How do I check out my faction ratings? I don't see that information anywhere in my journal or character screen. I am now a level 11 castaway.

I believe I'm stuck on the mission where I collect protection money in the bandit camp because Oleg was killed by a tough swamp body earlier in the game so now he isn't alive for me to collect protection money from. Is there any way around this? I hate it when the game makes essential NPCs vulnerable. Can I respawn the NPC to fix this bug? If I knew he is essential to complete a quest I would have reloaded an earlier save to avoid letting him get killed by a mob. I just assumed the NPC that got killed wasn't needed for any quests.

I want to be able to explore as much of the game content as possible and I think the best way to do that is to be able to use magic. Can someone explain the difference between Warrior of the Order and Mage? I understand Mage focuses more on magic whereas Warrior of the Order uses a combination of melee and magic but what are the associated restrictions involved? I want to be able to continue training my sword combat, strength, and have the option of hunting with my bow or crossbow when the mood strikes me as well as magic. Sometimes I feel like fighting with different things. The way I see it, I just want my character to be as versatile and as powerful as possible so that I'll have the ability to impose my influence for whatever I decide is right. .

Just a warning: it's not possible to be a "jack of all trades" in Risen. There's a level cap, and you don't get nearly enough learning points to be strong in both magic and melee. If you've already put more than 1 level into sword combat then I suggest you join The Order as a warrior, or else join with the Don.

None of the choices restrict where you can explore.

Okay, so up until just recently I had decided to join the Order so that I could use magic and melee, but after visiting the farm south of the monestary and being attacked without provocation and then being abducted by the NPC in front of the monestary entrance I've changed me mind. Those "white robes" have pissed me off. They can't possibly be good if they attack everyone they see who isn't one of them and force them into slavery--which is exactly what they appear to be doing. Instead, I've decided to join Don's camp and hopefully I can eventually kill all of the white robes or drive them off the island.

At any rate, I have a new question: I'm assuming it'll start the next chapter soon after officially joining a camp (i.e. Don's camp). I'm wondering, though, will all mobs across the map respawn at the start of a new chapter? If so I'd like to spend a lot of time exploring and leveling up off mobs before ending the current chapter. Also, do ore deposits respawn/regenerate also? In other words, can I mine from previously mined deposits in the next chapter? If there is a level cap and the mines are not mineable more than once (regardless of chapter), then I probably shouldn't worry too much about leveling and exploring prior to progressing to the next chapter. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Several of the quests listed in the OP require you to find the secret exit (Patty, the three brothers, law and order, the map) - and this is one of the few quests where you don't get clear directions. You may find that you need to acquire some skills or do some grinding to proceed at that point - at least that's what happened to me.
Anyway, heed Corwin's advice (although, that a minister should give such - tsk, tsk! ;) ).
As to the question in the last post - I think there is some monster spawning with chapter 2, but it is not major. I don't think treasure chests respawn at all, but plants seem to - not sure about ore deposits (I don't have that skill) but I would doubt they respawn.

If you go with the Don's camp, you won't get any magic!!

I have two rune thingies that require seals. Do I have to be a member of the order to use these? I'd LOVE to be able to summon skeletons and pick locks use mana. Are scrolls my only option if I join Don's camp? I really do not like the order one bit. Is there any way around it? I really only care about those two spells.

I guess it wouldn't be such a big deal if I had lockpicking rank 3. I can't find any NPCs to train me to rank 3 (expert lockpicking). I have already left behind over a dozen treasure chests I couldn't open due to insufficient lockpicking skills. It is very frustrating. Phil won't train me anymore and the NPC in the Harbor town won't either. Is the other NPC to train in lockpicking located in the monestary? If so, do I have to join the order to gain access to that too? Thanks.

The lockpick trainer is in the town, but I think you have to be in chapter 2 to get that higher skill. The mages part of the Order aren't really too bad once you get to know them!! :) Lock a save game and check out both paths.

No you can learn lockpicking completely already in chapter 1.
I am close to the end of chapter one, I think.
I am on my way back to the Don and have only few quest open in town like the healing herbs, the sons and the tools quest.

But how do you see your appreciation by the different factions? I dont seem to find it :s

Here's a minor "completist" F.A.Q for those who want it. I wish I had this before playing the game, but if you aren't keen on replaying the game from the beginning again, check it out.

I personally started over after I did Harbor Town first, after I found out that doing so had trashed an entire section of the game.

A player who wants to explore Risen as much as possible should do the world in this order;
1. All quests in Swamp up to meeting the Don, do not ask Cormac (at Don) about mages and do the first 4 quests for Fincher (at Don);
a) Conquest of the artifact camp (tip; go around with your "army" for a while to collect xp and loot if you like)
b) Salvage work
c) Tell Fincher about the strange temple entrance in the east
d) Treasure hunter wanted (in your journal, not completed)
Do not speak to Cormac (at Don) about mages so you get the quest "Talk to Master Illumar". If you chose to play mage later, it will never complete.

You can learn Pick Lock 2 and Pickpocket 2 in the Swamp. They are great to have before entering Harbor Town and it's the last chance to get them if you make certain decisions in Harbor Town in order to become a mage.

2. When entering Harbor Town, do not speak to Delgado (shady character near the back entrance) until you completed the Farmer's Sick Wife (probably first quest you get) 100%. This is a key quest for becoming a mage (completing it requires speaking to Costa either before taking the quest from Delgado, or resolving the quest which requires you to pick between Don/Sebastian).

Now explore Harbor Town and get all the following quests in your journal (solving a quest will make your decision, so hold that off for now);
1a. The Family Heirloom (Don) (Toni in Merchant Quarter)
1b. Take the Don's Heirloom to Hernandez (Order) (Hernandez, Harbor Guard)
2a. Lukor Wants Five Armor Plates (Don) (Lukor in the Harbor)
2b. Carasco wants the five armor plates (Order) (Carasco, Harbor Warehouse Guard)
3a. Bring the packages back to Weasel (Don) (Weasel near Merchant Quarter)
3b. Evidence for Marcelo (Order) (Marcelo, Merchant Quarter Guard)
4a. Romanov's Seaman Chest (Don) (Romanov the Pirate)
4b Sergio Wants Romanov's Gold (Order) (Sergio, Harbor Guard)
5a. Protection Money From Costa (Don) (Delgado, near back entrance)
5b. Pretending to work for Delgado (Order) (Sebastian, Guard near Delgado)
6a. Doyle Must Disappear (Don) (Cid, at route between Poor Quarter/Harbor)
6b. Get Rid of Cid (Order) (Rodriguez, Harbor Guard)
7. Good things comes in threes (Order)* (Carasco, Harbor Warehouse Guard)
* The Don path cannot be taken until you done four other Don quests. It's name is "Three Golden Bowls for Scordo".

Now make an ultimate save here in case you wish to replay the game and do the other path.

Now you must chose which faction you support. Doing 4 quests for one faction (Don or Order) will make your choice, but you can still do all quests and you can still do 3 quests for the opposing faction if you like. Helping the Don will unlock the path towards becoming a Bandit, helping the Order will unlock the path to become a Mage. Warrior is always available by getting beaten down by the Order when you first reach the Island, or it can be chosen instead of Mage. You can do both 6a and 6b and get +1 for both (tested in v1.10), but if you then get 4 for both factions, the main quests will be canceled for both and you have likely screwed up the game, so keep this in mind so you never get more than 3 in the faction you do not want to play.

Once you done your pick, you probably have a few quests helping people out from the Harbor Town, but besides that you are done. You always get more money/xp for an Order quest if you speak to Carlos afterwards.

3. Check in with the Bandits if you took that route, otherwise go to the Monastery.

Last edited:
But how do you see your appreciation by the different factions? I dont seem to find it :s

Strangely enough, I can't seem to remember.

I just loaded an old save from Chapter 1, but I couldn't find where it indicates how many faction quests you've completed. :-/

I looked too, it isn't in the char page nor is it in the quest log :s

it is strange you cant see it :s

Back
Top Bottom