Bethesda Softworks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game in in development?

I guess Bethesda having the rights doesn't necessarily mean they are developing it. They might just be publishing it, like Fallout: New Vegas. Which could restore hope for it actually being good. Maybe STALKER 2 could be Obsidian's next project?

I bought and thoroughly enjoyed all of the Stalker games and sincerely doubt that a Western developer could adequately capture the mood and atmosphere portrayed in those games. These games feature a uniquely Eastern European post-apocalyptic ambience that simply goes in a different direction to more traditional post-apocalyptic games. F03 is poles apart in tone.

Thou speaketh truth O wise one.

My big concern with Bethesda is that the game will have a consolitis user interface and have many bugs that won't be patched until the community does it. Also I have concerns with Beth's reputation on the story & writing front.

"Consolitis": If the old developers thought they could pull off a multi-system development and make more money they would have done it too, 100% guaranteed.

"bugs": Compared to STALKER et al? Oh come on now.

"story and writing": STALKER's writing and story was about as minimal as you could get and even call it such.

Would Bethesda do a better job on any of those? Who knows. But it would be hard for them to do worse.

As far as I can see Eastern Europeans don't have an edge over US developers in any category. They just seem to have more creative freedom. Stalker was OK IMO, but it was buggy and quirky like most of the stuff coming out of there. Bethesda could do anything they want, they just tend to keep it safe and cross platform. Hey maybe we can let Bioware do Stalker so we can have same sex romance. That's what was really missing!

I have come to simple conclusion that we argue about the same topics year after year. This will not be the first time a brand or name gets sold to someone else in the game industry.

At least a developer that has money and a good track record will at least finish the game. It wont take almost 10 years like the original stalker. Look it up that game was delayed for years.

I bought and thoroughly enjoyed all of the Stalker games and sincerely doubt that a Western developer could adequately capture the mood and atmosphere portrayed in those games. These games feature a uniquely Eastern European post-apocalyptic ambience that simply goes in a different direction to more traditional post-apocalyptic games. F03 is poles apart in tone.
Amen to this.

I liked FO3 to some degree (I thought FO:NV trumped it in most ways), but I don't feel they are all that alike in atmosphere and feel. Also, the East European "quirks" that a poster mentioned before add to the magic IMO.

I haven't played much of Stalker, but:

Bethesda can publish, but I hope the 'Peans make it. Let's keep this one on the continent it came from. The USA's World view will skew the game, whether intentionally or not. It's nice to play games from other perspectives.

Speaking of STALKER, I'm about to delve into the series again. I played the original back at release - and it bugged my savegame about halway through. Never got back to it.

Now, I'm not really looking to play ALL of them, necessarily - but I'd rather want the overall best and most comprehensive version.

Which would you guys recommend?

I can't see bethesda themselves taking on another IP at the moment. Likely they will outsource this and appear only as publisher, if the rumor is even true.

As with all "revived" franchises continued by different studios, it is best to keep expectations low, at least where fidelity to the original "magic" is concerned. Doesn't mean such a sequel can't be good in its own right, but it will be something different more likely than not.

Back
Top Bottom