RPGs for Android devices?

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but i have recently bought an Acer Iconia A700 (awesome device!!) and i was wondering if there are durther recommendations for single-player Android RPGs or Android adventures (like Broken sword series)….

Cheers in advance,
L.
Nice tablet - congrats! With that high-resolution big screen you should be able to do some decent gaming.

Heroes Call hasn't been mentioned yet - it came out recently (a port from iOS). I played around with it some - it seems to be a decent Diablo-like game with good production values. Optimized for Tegra - so it should look nice on your A700. Personally I didn't like needing to touch the screen to attack each enemy as my fingers blocked the view. But that's just a preference thing. On a big screen it might be less of an issue.

WazHack is quite good if you like roguelike dungeon crawl games at all (Nethack, Rogue, etc). It has roguelike game mechanics transposed onto a side-scrolling, fully animated 3D dungeon view. At first I was skeptical about the side-scrolling view but it works pretty well for touchscreen play. It's still turn-based, with random dungeons, just like traditional roguelikes.

Also worth noting - I've had Might & Magic 4+5 (World of Xeen) running pretty well in DosBox Turbo on my rooted Nook Color tablet. Surprisingly, with the right settings the interface works well with the touch screen. Just make sure to enable Absolute mouse tracking in the DosBox Turbo settings. That way, when you touch the screen the mouse instantly jumps to where you clicked. The big buttons on World of Xeen mesh very well with touchscreen play:

116128-might-and-magic-world-of-xeen-dos-screenshot-damned-mutant.png

I also recommend the DosBox Manager front-end if you're going to use DosBox Turbo. It makes it easy to set up different profiles for games and launch them from a unified "game shelf" interface.

Hope that helps!

Cheers for the tips.....that sort of reminded me that I`ll probably be looking if I can install Icewind Dale II on my Tab, as I can buy it on GOG.com and i haven`t yet played it...

Cheers for the tips…..that sort of reminded me that I`ll probably be looking if I can install Icewind Dale II on my Tab, as I can buy it on GOG.com and i haven`t yet played it…
You'll need to install GemRB to do that but supposedly it supports the Icewind Dale series.

I tried setting up Planescape Torment with GemRB on my Nook a while back and couldn't get it to work right but maybe you'll have better luck. I think there is more info about this further back in this thread.

Deadly Dungeons is the only first person Wizardry like I've found made specifically for tablet. That shows me the market is still open for my app. At 99c it you can't beat the price. There's no free ad version (or Lite as they are calling demos now) that I know of.

Thanks for the tip on MM4+5:WoX. I'll have to install that soon.

Deadly Dungeons is the only first person Wizardry like I've found made specifically for tablet. That shows me the market is still open for my app. At 99c it you can't beat the price. There's no free ad version (or Lite as they are calling demos now) that I know of.

Thanks for the tip on MM4+5:WoX. I'll have to install that soon.
Yeah Deadly Dungeons is pretty cool - I tried it for a bit when it first came out. I should check out the recent version. Some of the game mechanics bugged me but it was fun.

Oubliette (based on the original old game) is another 1st person dungeon crawl I know of - but I haven't played it much.

Oh, I just remembered that Bard's Tale from inXile came out on Android a little while back. I have no experience with this "new" Bard's Tale, but supposedly it includes the original classic 80's version as well.

And yes Lucky Day there is plenty of room left for someone to fill the 1st person RPG niche on Android. I've been watching your development thread with interest - been meaning to comment on it. I like how it's looking so far.

thanks. should be finishing off ladders this week then the Z axis will be done. then I can start actually making a game out of it.

Oubliette is MP though isn't it? In case anyone didn't know Oubliette is the game that main inspiration for Wizardry. The spell systems for example.

Some sites have credited AoL NWN as the first MMOG from the early 90's but in fact it was Oubliette since the clients could ran on Plato machines from the mid-70's..

thanks. should be finishing off ladders this week then the Z axis will be done. then I can start actually making a game out of it.

Oubliette is MP though isn't it? In case anyone didn't know Oubliette is the game that main inspiration for Wizardry. The spell systems for example.

Some sites have credited AoL NWN as the first MMOG from the early 90's but in fact it was Oubliette since the clients could ran on Plato machines from the mid-70's..
I don't know much about the original 70's Oubliette, but this Android version seems to mean multi-character when they say multiplayer in the description. So - it's their weird way of saying you have multiple characters in the party. I saw no multiplayer functionality when I briefly tried it out.

But the original PLATO version maybe did - I dunno.

Bards Tale is half price right now on Google Play so $3.

I'd get it but I only have a phone and i'm sure I would not like it on so small a screen.

I did pick up Deadly Dungeons. Seems pretty decent for 99 cents. I haven't had time to get much into it yet tho.

Bards Tale is half price right now on Google Play so $3.

I'd get it but I only have a phone and i'm sure I would not like it on so small a screen.

I did pick up Deadly Dungeons. Seems pretty decent for 99 cents. I haven't had time to get much into it yet tho.

That reminds me that I grabbed it as soon as the sale went live. I enjoyed the remake on my iPad, figured I would check it out on my Galaxy S3 phone and Nexus 7 tablet.

Deadly Dungeons even comes with old school game ending mechanics.

Playing an archer, I was backing up firing at a hydra or something. Unbeknowist to me I backed up into a level change door while low on life with a dot on me. Auto save by the game going through the door meant a save game that had me dead. Awesome! Well, I'm not playing through all those levels again so I deleted the game. I totally got that old school feel ..... Still, not a bad game

I couldn't help myself. I reinstalled Deadly Dungeons (I had saved my old save game).

In the game you can at any time restart the game at dungeon level 1 while keeping your current character level and stats (monsters levels adjust to your level) and after getting some defense skills and being a bit more careful about dots and level change doors I am finally on the last level. WHEW! Haven't quite finished it yet but its been fun for a simple little game.

I couldn't help myself. I reinstalled Deadly Dungeons (I had saved my old save game).

In the game you can at any time restart the game at dungeon level 1 while keeping your current character level and stats (monsters levels adjust to your level) and after getting some defense skills and being a bit more careful about dots and level change doors I am finally on the last level. WHEW! Haven't quite finished it yet but its been fun for a simple little game.

DD really is a blast. When I grabbed back the SGS3 from my wife I reinstalled it and played a bit. Fun stuff.

How have you liked Bards Tale? Is it as much fun as it sounds and does it play decently on a touch screen?

How have you liked Bards Tale? Is it as much fun as it sounds and does it play decently on a touch screen?

I enjoyed the PC game and gave it a 7/10 when I reviewed it back in '04. I found it worked pretty well on the iPad and Mini, but was definitely less enjoyable on the Samsung Galaxy SIII due to screen size. Haven't even tried it on my iPhone 5 for that reason.

Any good recommendations for a 720p 5-inch screen (Nvidia Shield Portable)? I'm interested in Icewind Dale: EE but the screen may be too small to manage.

So far I have Elminage Gothic, Valkyria Chronicles and Oblivion running in 720p on the device and they work great (Nvidia Gamestream, streams from my PC to the device). Also, apparently Divinity: Original Sin is supported as well, but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Any suggestions?

Any good recommendations for a 720p 5-inch screen (Nvidia Shield Portable)? I'm interested in Icewind Dale: EE but the screen may be too small to manage.

So far I have Elminage Gothic, Valkyria Chronicles and Oblivion running in 720p on the device and they work great (Nvidia Gamestream, streams from my PC to the device). Also, apparently Divinity: Original Sin is supported as well, but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Any suggestions?
Sadly, it seems Icewind Dale is a bit too small to play comfortably on a5 inch screen. It could be done perhaps with a stylus, but I'm not sure if the shield stylus works on the portable. Well, I got a refund. :)

Back
Top Bottom