Dragon’s Dogma - Ships 1 Million Copies, Capsom sees new franchise

Sometimes in Japan "we'll consider it" is the polite way of saying "no."

Inscrutable little yellow devils. "We'll consider it" is European for "f*ck off and die". Who knows what the Japs mean when they say something. Maybe they'll release Dragon's Dogma on PC, or maybe they'll bomb the US fleet while it's sitting at harbour. We'll never know until it happens.

Please, please… no Japanese bashing. I've had lots of Japanese friends and acquaintances, and quite honestly, Japanese people are as a general rule, extraordinarily kind and good people.

There are some cultural differences that can cause problems and/or misunderstandings. For example the fundamental japanese value is to be part of "the group", verses the fundamental western value of personal freedom (a western child is often punished by taking away their freedom, e.g., being confined to their room, to a 'time out' chair or the like. In contrast a Japanese child is often punished by being kicked out of the group, e.g., the Japanese child is punished by being sent out of the house, or outside, rather than being confined in the house.) Problem here is that if the whole group or whole country goes bananas the personal tendency is to go along with the group — but, Japanese are much more inclined to criticize government these days. This and many more checks and balances in government than any time previously. Frankly, I trust their government as much as I do my own, i.e., not a great deal ->verify, ask questions, etc.

Then there's "politeness", which can be misinterpreted. Jhwisner is absolutely correct in saying: Sometimes in Japan "we'll consider it" is the polite way of saying "no." . It is absolutely true that Japanese people generally avoid saying "no", out of politemness and respect. Indeed there are something like well over a dozen ways to say "yes" in Japanese, but only a single way to say "No". But honestly, I find nothing wrong with politeness and courtesy as a cultural value. For example, "Nice to meet you" in the western world can mask a hidden thought of "I hate your kind and everything you stand for…". Still, IMO society functions better when everyone's not running around saying "Fuck you!" and "Fuck you too." all the time (excluding, of course, casual pick-up bars).

Back to the subject, the Japanese Capcom response of "…if the PC users out there really are vocal about having this game, then we can definitely consider it." seems to be truly positive to me, in view of the emphatic "definitely" inserted into the conventional phrase. Nevertheless reading between the lines, as one must sometimes do, the other part of the message seems to be that there would need to be a extremely large outcry from PC users to justify a PC port.

__

I only did it because I knew I'd get an essay from an American on the topic. In a similar vein I enjoy using the word - and in deference to US sensibilities I won't type it in full - c*nt online because it causes Americans to fall over frothing at the mouth. Here it's a relatively mild invective along the lines of "asshole". All this does is illustrate the fact I really need a job as I'm far too bored.

Dragon's Dogma should be an easy port to the PC. Everything about it shouts PC game. It's one of the few action driven console games that'd work just as well it mouse and keyboard.

I enjoy using the word - and in deference to US sensibilities I won't type it in full - c*nt online because it causes Americans to fall over frothing at the mouth.

We use the word cant all the time, TNZ :D We typically put an apostrophe in the word though instead of an asterisk can't instead of c*nt ;)

I only did it because I knew I'd get an essay from an American on the topic. In a similar vein I enjoy using the word - and in deference to US sensibilities I won't type it in full - c*nt online because it causes Americans to fall over frothing at the mouth. Here it's a relatively mild invective along the lines of "asshole". All this does is illustrate the fact I really need a job as I'm far too bored.

so basically your saying your a racist and a cunt or "asshole" in your language.

"Dogma" brings to mind a bunch of religious people arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

For the record, the answer is 5. Continue on with the regularly scheduled progam. :p

Great news. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but it's constantly obvious that a sequel will be better. It's fun as hell to play but is unpolished, with weird menus, voice work and virtually non existent fast travel making parts feel way too grindy.

Only been to a couple dungeons so far, but they are very very nice. I'll preorder the sequel for sure.

What was wrong with the voice work? I thought it was done very well. It had obviously been rewritten for English rather than trying to directly translate Japanese, and it does a good job of using "ye old English", and the voice work I think is good as well.

I'm glad it's been successful. I think it's a good game. It's main issues for me are the way everything in the world respawns so quickly, the filler quests, the automatic levelling up, and not being able to turn off auto save and pawn chatter.

It also seems a little short. Gransys isn't very big and I'm off to face the dragon and I'm only level 45. I really hope it's not the end because I want to keep playing. I'll definitely save my character for an expansion and look forward to the next game.

so basically your saying your a racist and a cunt or "asshole" in your language.
Well, in my language "arsehole" not " asshole" if we're being pedantic. "Cunt" is mild slang and "racist" isn't a term I've had to grow up being subjected to.

As is standard for Jap games DD has a post game which is ok. Ok, not great. But yeah, level 40+ is end game regardless of what follows. Much like TES games when you hit a certain level and boredom follows.

Back
Top Bottom