My Little Game

Ergonpandilus

The Preacher
Here's little game that I made few years back.

Some features:
  • Big world map (10 000 blocks)
  • 60 smaller areas to explore
  • Almost 40 races to pick from
  • 22 Guilds to join.
  • 60 Quests to solve, which rewards Quest Points for special Boons
  • Day and Night cycle
  • Real-time combat and gameplay
  • Respawning monsters, who also will get angry, follow you and attack you!
  • Companions - Hirable and summonable
  • Hungry, you need to eat or suffer the penalties.
  • Over 100 invidual spells ranging from combat spells to buffs and informative spells.
  • Over 100 skills, both active and passive. And separate weapon skills that only grow by using appropriate weapon in combat.
  • Over 400 items, including weapons, armors, tools etc.
  • 100 experience levels to gain

Basic idea is to kill mobs and gain Xp and loot. You also gain experience points by discovering new areas, so you should start with that and do at least first five levels by exploring. And when you level up, you need to solve a quest every five. After first ten levels, you need to join a guild to learn and train new skills and spells, but in order to join a guild you first have to find the guildmaster and complete the quest he/she gives to you. There is 4 different backgrounds for your characters, which defines what guilds you may join and those are: Brutal (Barbarians guild etc), Civilized (Bard etc.), Clerical (Priest etc.) and Magical (Wizard etc.). Once you finish your first guild in level 40, you may/must join a new guild until you reach the maximum level.

You also need to take care that you keep your reputation close your chosen alignment (good, evil and neutral) or you suffer luck penalty, but if you do you'll get a bonus. When ever you feel bored to your choice of character, you need not to start new game, but istead you may reincarnate your character, thus losing some percentage of your total experience points, but you can start from level 1 again with fresh background and race.

I've spent good deal of my youth in teenager doing this from 1997… ???. It runs in DOS, but works beautifully even in Win7. It has over 2000 files and almost 10k lines of code. But back then my english was less than perfect as were my coding skills, so expect bugs and poor english. :)

Some screens:
lanhaaacg.jpg

oanhaaacg.jpg

nanhoaacg.jpg

lanhnaacg.jpg

lanhoaacg.jpg

AS you can see, it's a text-based game, but I'm seriously thinking about porting this game to more graphical interface, tile graphics or so during this summer.

Download: WoMM v1.12

Last edited:
Hey, great ! :)

This is what I'm dreaming of to make myself ! :)

Only just I'd had much more story in it ... ;)

Hey, great ! :)

This is what I'm dreaming of to make myself ! :)

Only just I'd had much more story in it … ;)

Thanks. :)

Most important part in "indie" development, as I understand, is to have users. The biggest reward I've ever got for developing this game some years back was to see my friends playing and ejoying it. :)

I understand this. :)

I have a similar feeling when I get responses by those who read my stories. :)

Very interesting, I always love to see text-only rpgs, too bad there aren't more (at least in single player).

Also, I wouldn't say it's that "little" with all those features :p

Very interesting, I always love to see text-only rpgs, too bad there aren't more (at least in single player).

Also, I wouldn't say it's that "little" with all those features :p

Thanks. :blush:

As I said, I spent good deal time in my teenager years to make it as it is. I remember sitting in school scribbling notes on grid paper for maps and monsters to add. :)

Though had to admit that I copied lot of ideas from a MUD (multi-user-dungeon) online game called BatMUD, but since this is single players I had to change lot of aspects to make it work. And I had to come up with the formulas for calculating skill and spell success percentages.

For example, here's one for calculating chance of successful spellcast:
Code:
success = (RND * (100 + luck) + isConcentrated * (20 + Concentration /  5) + spellcasting / 5 + spellcasting_bonus / 5 + square_root(spell * 7)
success += intelligence/10  // if wiz spell
success += wisdom/10  // if priest spell

Last edited:
Yeah, though it doesn't need only luck but some hard work. ;)

Luckily I already got some graphics from my other old small gamelings, so I don't need to do all the graphics from scratch.

And I'm also thinking about using The Dark Eye rules. After playing Drakensang I'm quite positive that the rules would work out just fine. I got Core Rules book about the rules and I've done quite much study how it should go and it seems quite easy to work with. I need to alter the rules somewhat to fit my needs, like amount of actions per round might need to change.

Otherwise I'm going use existing source files, like monsters, areas, skills, equipment etc. And since I'm familiar with Qt, I'm going to use it for developing. I like how I can use C++ and the good classes from Qt mixed. And since it's crossplatform, I can port it in future to all the major platforms. :)

And I'm also thinking about using The Dark Eye rules. After playing Drakensang I'm quite positive that the rules would work out just fine. I got Core Rules book about the rules and I've done quite much study how it should go and it seems quite easy to work with. I need to alter the rules somewhat to fit my needs, like amount of actions per round might need to change.

Seconded.

Das Schwarze Auge is truly a great RPG system, too bad the only games made with it were Drakensang (which I found far too linear and rpg-lite for my tastes, although people say the sequel is greatly improved) and the Realms of Arkania(s), which were both great games.

May be you could get the Drakensang engine as a bargain buy right now? ;)

I acctually considered it for my game, but the documentation, support and updates etc, was very poor IMHO, so I would advice against it.

For a long time now, I've wondered why noone uses the Infinity Engine anymore. Too hard to work with? I refuse to believe BioWare would charge an indie developer a lot of cash to use it (after all, it's worth nothing just sitting around gathering dust).

Games made in the IE not only had excellent gameplay, but they also had solid interface and good graphics (due to the artists, no doubt). You'd get a lot for free.

It might just be hard to work with though, which means you'd need a team bigger than what indie developers have.

You can check out the : GemRB Game Engine….. that will change it for sure. ( modern multi-platform remake of infinity engine )

But infinity engine is really outdated by now, if you develop a game you'll want something with support and that is being developed. Imagine you develop a infinity engine game and it doesn't work with latest Nvidia drivers for example… none is going to fix that.

Here's little game that I made few years back.
Interesting. Haven't tried this yet and need to give it a spin. One thing strikes me as something that could be really frustrating, though. If I understood this correctly, the game has an adventure game like text interface and real time combat. That's a combination I find very odd. Why not turn-based combat? With a text command interface, it'd seem the battles become contests of your typing prowess (if a "segment" goes by e.g. once in 3 sec, you'd better hope you can type 'attack minotaur #2' fast enough). Not to mention the time-honored fun of fighting the parser. I can imagine the following scenario:
You see an angry orc.
> Attack orc
*Combat has begun!*
You attack the orc, but miss. Orc attacks you and hits. You lose 4 HP.
> Attack ocr
There is no 'ocr' here.
Orc attacks you and hits. You lose 3 HP.
> Attack orc
You attack the orc and hit. Orc loses 5 HP.
Orc attacks you, but misses.
> Atack orc
I don't know the verb 'atack'.
Orc attacks you and hits. You lose 4 HP. You're badly wounded!
> Flee
I don't know the verb 'flee'.
Orc attacks you and hits. You lose 5 HP. You're close to death!
> Drink healing potion
You must open the flask first.
Orc attacks you, but misses.
> Open flask
You open the flask.
Orc attacks you and hits. You lose 4 HP. You're dead!
*Game over*

:p ;)

Get ye flask! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkfqE1fkmmI (The relevant bit starts at around 1:30.)

Interesting. Haven't tried this yet and need to give it a spin. One thing strikes me as something that could be really frustrating, though. If I understood this correctly, the game has an adventure game like text interface and real time combat. That's a combination I find very odd. Why not turn-based combat? With a text command interface, it'd seem the battles become contests of your typing prowess (if a "segment" goes by e.g. once in 3 sec, you'd better hope you can type 'attack minotaur #2' fast enough). Not to mention the time-honored fun of fighting the parser. I can imagine the following scenario:

Actually, you can use shortcuts. run shorted.exe and type your characters name. Then you can edit the shortcuts. It already comes with some basic shortcuts, like if you type "l" (lowercase L), it equals to look and typing "t" calls for stop, to end the fight. And you can also repeat commands, like calling "20 n" will move you 20 times to north.

The real time is much more interesting for several reasons. It actually used to be turn-based, but I changed it.

Back
Top Bottom