RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

What a pleasant surprise. :) Self publishing is a risk for Larian of course, I really hope it pays off!

Daniel.

Look at those screen shots guys they are gorgeous. I love you Larian

Well, this sounds good. Problem is that I don't trust Larian with quality. I think my PC crashed about 100 times during Divine Divinity and Divinity 2/DKS still feels unfinished to me.

And don't get me started on Beyond Divinity.

But, as I always say, a bad track record can be turned around.

One question if I may...

Where do I preorder?!

I want it and I want it now.

None of those games you mentioned had any ultima 7 vibe to me at all….maybe arx fatalis and ultima underworld, but surely not ultima 7.

I don't always have the time to post as articulatley as I'd like.

But now that you contest what I wrote and I have a moment, I'll better explain.

By 'U7 Vibe' I guess I really mean 'some elements in common with U7.'

Arx Fatalis, while more similar to UU than U7 still shared the 'object manipulation' feature of U7 - even moreso. You could bake a pie and perform other object combinations. So that is where I get the 'U7 vibe' for that game.

Gothics 1 & 2 are a little more subtle. But G1 & G2 gave me that same satisfaction of exploration that U7 did. So that is why I think G1 & G2 have a 'U7 Vibe.'

The Gothic series is poo-poo and you know it ;) I'm actually jealous because I know it's a good series but I just can't get into it for some reason. I've not taken the plunge on either Risen for this reason. I did enjoy Gothic 3 for several hours but most of the Gothic crowd thinks it's the weakest of the lot....

However, I'm almost as optimistic about pre-Div as I'm pessimistic about Dragon bombs. Hope the DC game doesn't kill Larian if it fails dismally.

Very fascinating news. I'm pleased to hear that Divinity will continue and in quite a surprising new format! The turn based and party based changes are very welcome indeed. I actually got a bit of a later period Might and Magic vibe about the appearance of the title art on the story picture...

I can also understand what the MadGamer is talking about with the Ultima VII connections; albeit in an abstract way. In my opinion, the simulated virtual world interactivity in U7 has never really been bettered in a modern cRPG. Whilst arguably for me, Divine Divinity showed much more of a Diablo 2 influence, (particularly in the combat mechanics) the game world and item interactivity, humour and such showed that there was much more to the game than the combat.

Can't wait to hear more on this as it's developed. Exciting news for sure.

Looks old-school sexy. I'm down.

Is this for real? wow.

I loved Divine Divinity even with the large amounts of clicky combat. If they can come close to capturing the atmosphere of that game but with better turn based combat this has a chance to be a return to the type of games I love.

Good luck Larian!!!

Incredible hyped. Best RPG news this year, so far :)

While Divine Divinity wasnt as good as U7 / U7 II (hardly any RPG is), it's one of the most atmospheric RPG's i've ever played. Hope the music will be as awesome as in DD too..

Looks good, but is it fixed perspective isometric because it doesn't look like it is from the screenshots?

Wow O_O I Did not really expect party turn based despite half joking about it (when Myrthos dropped the hint on the other thread)!

Sign me up by all means... Finally something to look forward to (other than the Kickstarters and indies that is)...

This divinity game was already in the mind of sven and on the works by larian much before the kickstarter 2012 revolution ;)

Original Sin (until today just called Project E) was first mentioned in the Larian forum in Oct 2010, before DKS was released.

Organic development – how random ideas became strategy (Original Sin and Dragon Commander)

How Larian ended up self-publishing

I don't know that successes with kickstarter provide much comfort to Larian, given that their director of publishing has argued in blog comments that the type of games that do very well could just as easily have gotten funded through traditional means.

Looks good, but is it fixed perspective isometric because it doesn't look like it is from the screenshots?
Correct, you can zoom in and out.

One quick serious question. How does the turn based combat work? Is it like the older fallout games where each character has points to use?

So, Wasteland 2 and now this. Hope this puts a stop to the ridiculous "Game X was the last RPG EVER and we're NEVER going to get another game like Game X again!".

Well, at least until the next time that there hasn't been any new announcements for a while. RPG fans seem to be rather quick to proclaim the end of times.

One quick serious question. How does the turn based combat work? Is it like the older fallout games where each character has points to use?

I'm assuming so, myself. Some of the screenshots have a series of dots above the skills and a button with an hourglass. I'm guessing that's the variation of action points and an end turn button.

So far only small studios gone self publishing finaly some biger studio goes self publishing let's hope it catches up with other bigger studios so we can finaly get rid of publishers like ubisoft.Btw will there be boxed version or just digial distribution anyone know(Boxed DRM free version would be awsome)?

Back
Top Bottom