I need a new graphic card

No dice…

Either those claiming it worked were full of shit, or there was something different about ATI's drivers 2 years ago, and I'm not about to start rolling my drivers back to find out. Either way, I just wasted another hour with no luck.

ok , maybe you are quite tired of it, but if you want to give it onemore try what settings do you have for bioshock profile ?

Because the computer I am currently on does not have an ATI card, anyway sorry to hear it doesn't work for you.

I've created a thread over at WoG, maybe someone over there will be able to give a definitive answer.

I got it to work. Here's what I did (don't know if every step is necessary):

1. Download and install Ati catalyst 10.4 profiles update from http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx (File ati_catalyst_appprofiles_apr7.exe) It says crossfire profiles, but it works on single gpus as well. This exe file contains lots of profiles, including the Bioshock profile. Apparently it also contains a Gothic 3 profile, but that one does not support AA.

Observe that these profiles don't show in the catalyst control senter.

2. Rename Gothic3.exe to Bioshock.exe

3. Set anti aliasing in catalyst control centre to 8x (uncheck Use application settings).

4. In-game set post processing to off.

Some specs:
ATI HD 4890, catalyst 10.4
Windows 7
Gothic 3 community patch 1.6

Nope..... no luck.

Our specs are the same except that I'm using WinXP and community patch 1.73. I doubt WinXP has anything to do with it, so I can only speculate that maybe it's broken in 1.73.

Nope….. no luck.

Our specs are the same except that I'm using WinXP and community patch 1.73. I doubt WinXP has anything to do with it, so I can only speculate that maybe it's broken in 1.73.

I agree. If the OS was a problem, I'd expect Win 7 to be the guilty one.

I'll install 1.73 and see what's happens.

After upgrading to 1.73, I can't get AA to work using the same method as under 1.6. Perhaps it's no surprise, since in 1.73 you can set AA using in-game options (which btw doesn't work either), so it seems that AA is handled differently.

Well, well. I increased the resolution to 1920x1080, so jagged edges aren't so prominent. Anyhow, AA isn't that important to me, so I can live with it.

I still will probably buy an nVidia next time, not because I'm dissatisfied wioth the 4890, but because I've much more experience with those GPUs.

After upgrading to 1.73, I can't get AA to work using the same method as under 1.6. Perhaps it's no surprise, since in 1.73 you can set AA using in-game options (which btw doesn't work either), so it seems that AA is handled differently.

Ah.... so CP 1.73 is the problem as I suspected. That really sucks because there's no way I'd be willing to go back to CP 1.6 just for AA, and yes, their in-game AA is also broken.

Oh well, by the time I'm ready to take another serious run at G3, I might have a new card anyways. :)

Thanks for confirming that for me.

Back
Top Bottom