F:NV Best Fallout New Vegas Mods 2011

Fallout: New Vegas
Yeah, it is was in the right load order. NMM overwrote the esp with the new one. But maybe I should deactivate or delete the old one, and then activate the new one?

But that wouldn't solve FNVEdit breaking on https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kh4qwx68ghoefj/UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp. Unrecognizable data or some such error causes it to stop loading mods with an error. Maybe it was corrupted. Is there another copy?

I tried using the formIds from the original Bobblehunt.esp seen in FNVedit with player.additem, but the game wouldn't recognize them. Maybe I should try adding them without the patch? But then that would defeat the purpose if the patch is broken. I really don't want to install the GECK for something this trivial…

What is the exact error that fnvedit is giving you? You don't need to use NMM to install it, FYI; just drag the replacement into your data directory.

And what is the editor id of the bobbleheads you're trying to add? You're adding a 1 for quantity after your console command, yes?

Bad data or unrecognized data. I can try to recreate the problem later…

Here are the FormIDs that the console didn't recognize. I grabbed them from the Booblehunt.esp mod using FNVedit.

010013A6 - Melee Bobblehead
010013A5 - Medicine Bobblehead

Now that I think about, it may be because I installed the Brumbek retexture mod that gives them a Vegas leisure suit look http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/download/92023. But as I understand it, the textures shouldn't change the FormIDs, right? It is a file download in the nexus bobblehunt mod… :/

Thanks for the help!

BTW, I like to use NMM whenever can, that way I can back out mods easily and swap them out with others without having to figure out where they were copied. Very handy tool!

The 01 FORMID prefix means you're referencing data from an esm/esp loaded second in your load order (00,01,02…). There's a few big problems with this:

The second plugin in your load should always be Dead Money, assuming you have the DLCs - and Dead Money introduces no bobbleheads. So, you're either referencing data from FalloutNV.esm or the Bobblehunt esp; both scenarios spell trouble and indicate a bad lad order.

Your game should not even be booting up if Falloutnv.esm isn't being loaded first and the bobblehunt esp isn't even allowed to get loaded before your other esm files when you use NMM to manage a load order. So something is off here. You did load FNVEdit with all your current plugins right? You didn't manually select only bobblehunt to load?

Below the green check mark in NMM, there is a load order txt export tool. If you could paste that here or upload it elsewhere, I should be able to tell at a glance whether your load order is a problem.

Do you use B.O.S.S.?

Edit: I took a look at bobblehunt and you have the right formid's, mostly. They will be: xx0013a5
xx0013a6

Where xx signifies your actual load order # for bobblehunt.esp.

Aha! That explains it.

So, the FormID changes, depending on what is loaded and its order? Egawds, what a terrible system. Things like this should be absolute numbers. Thanks. I had only selected the hunt and fallout.

However, that doesn't explain the error when I do a full load in FNVedit with the bobblehunt UH patch, though…. hmmm…

Cheers!

It's actually a really good system; it allows you to instantly track down where an in-world object came from with the console command 'GBO' (provided you have NVSE loaded).

I'm not getting any UHNV-Bobblehunt error when I load it. Copy/paste your error message here.

An absolute mod number would be better. But that poses its own difficulties.

EDIT: OK, here is the FNVedit log

It's seems like this is the problem

Code:
Fatal: Error loading plugin list: <Exception: Expected header  signature TES4, found <!DO in file "C:\Program Files  (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New  Vegas\Data\UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp">
FNVEdit 3.0.30 EXPERIMENTAL starting session 2013-10-21 20:38:57
Using FalloutNV Data Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\
Using ini: C:\Users\Mbennett.LMC-028018\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\Fallout.ini
Using settings file: C:\Users\Mbennett.LMC-028018\AppData\Local\FalloutNV\Plugins.fnvviewsettings
Loading active plugin list: C:\Users\Mbennett.LMC-028018\AppData\Local\FalloutNV\Plugins.txt
Fatal: Error loading plugin list: <Exception: Expected header signature TES4, found <!DO in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp">
[FalloutNV.esm] Loading file
[FalloutNV.esm] File loaded
[FalloutNV.esm] Start processing
[CaravanPack.esm] Loading file
[CaravanPack.esm] File loaded
[CaravanPack.esm] Start processing
[ClassicPack.esm] Loading file
[ClassicPack.esm] File loaded
[ClassicPack.esm] Start processing
[MercenaryPack.esm] Loading file
[MercenaryPack.esm] File loaded
[MercenaryPack.esm] Start processing
[DeadMoney.esm] Loading file
[DeadMoney.esm] File loaded
[DeadMoney.esm] Start processing
[HonestHearts.esm] Loading file
[HonestHearts.esm] File loaded
[HonestHearts.esm] Start processing
[OldWorldBlues.esm] Loading file
[OldWorldBlues.esm] File loaded
[OldWorldBlues.esm] Start processing
[LonesomeRoad.esm] Loading file
[LonesomeRoad.esm] File loaded
[LonesomeRoad.esm] Start processing
[GunRunnersArsenal.esm] Loading file
[GunRunnersArsenal.esm] File loaded
[GunRunnersArsenal.esm] Start processing
[TribalPack.esm] Loading file
[TribalPack.esm] File loaded
[TribalPack.esm] Start processing
[URWLNV-001-Weather.esm] Loading file
[URWLNV-001-Weather.esm] File loaded
[URWLNV-001-Weather.esm] Start processing
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm] Loading file
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm] File loaded
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm] Start processing
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm] Loading file
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm] File loaded
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm] Start processing
[New Vegas Redesigned II.esm] Loading file
[New Vegas Redesigned II.esm] File loaded
[New Vegas Redesigned II.esm] Start processing
[CHEMS.esm] Loading file
[CHEMS.esm] File loaded
[CHEMS.esm] Start processing
[Vurt's WFO.esp] Loading file
[Vurt's WFO.esp] File loaded
[Vurt's WFO.esp] Start processing
[EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp] Loading file
[EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp] File loaded
[EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp] Start processing
[URWLNV-007-Interiors.esp] Loading file
[URWLNV-007-Interiors.esp] File loaded
[URWLNV-007-Interiors.esp] Start processing
[URWLNV-002-DeadMoney.esp] Loading file
[URWLNV-002-DeadMoney.esp] File loaded
[URWLNV-002-DeadMoney.esp] Start processing
[URWLNV-003-HonestHearts.esp] Loading file
[URWLNV-003-HonestHearts.esp] File loaded
[URWLNV-003-HonestHearts.esp] Start processing
[URWLNV-004-OldWorldBlues.esp] Loading file
[URWLNV-004-OldWorldBlues.esp] File loaded
[URWLNV-004-OldWorldBlues.esp] Start processing
[URWLNV-005-LonesomeRoad.esp] Loading file
[URWLNV-005-LonesomeRoad.esp] File loaded
[URWLNV-005-LonesomeRoad.esp] Start processing
[URWLNV-008-WeatherForcer.esp] Loading file
[URWLNV-008-WeatherForcer.esp] File loaded
[URWLNV-008-WeatherForcer.esp] Start processing
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp] Loading file
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp] File loaded
[Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp] Start processing
[CHEMS - Benches.esp] Loading file
[CHEMS - Benches.esp] File loaded
[CHEMS - Benches.esp] Start processing
[CHEMS - Basic Chems.esp] Loading file
[CHEMS - Basic Chems.esp] File loaded
[CHEMS - Basic Chems.esp] Start processing
[Bobblehunt.esp] Loading file
[Bobblehunt.esp] File loaded
[Bobblehunt.esp] Start processing
[UHNV.esp] Loading file
[UHNV.esp] File loaded
[UHNV.esp] Start processing
[UHNV-Dead Money.esp] Loading file
[UHNV-Dead Money.esp] File loaded
[UHNV-Dead Money.esp] Start processing
[UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp] Loading file
[UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp] File loaded
[UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp] Start processing
[UHNV-OWB.esp] Loading file
[UHNV-OWB.esp] File loaded
[UHNV-OWB.esp] Start processing
[UHNV-Lonesome Road.esp] Loading file
[UHNV-Lonesome Road.esp] File loaded
[UHNV-Lonesome Road.esp] Start processing
[UHNV-Brighter Lighting.esp] Loading file
[UHNV-Brighter Lighting.esp] File loaded
[UHNV-Brighter Lighting.esp] Start processing
[UHNV-More Mannequins.esp] Loading file
[UHNV-More Mannequins.esp] File loaded
[UHNV-More Mannequins.esp] Start processing
[UHNV-Chems.esp] Loading file
[UHNV-Chems.esp] File loaded
[UHNV-Chems.esp] Start processing
[UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp] Loading file
[UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp] File loaded
[UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp] Start processing
Error: unknown record type <!DO

Last edited:
So my adventures continue on in the good ol' Mojave, passing the 20 hour mark with only 2 CTD's in an otherwise stable modded up New Vegas. Unfortunately, I'm creeping up against the wall I suddenly hit in my first playthrough attempt 2 years ago - and that wall comes in the form of the sometimes poor quality of the world design. Long stretches of the environment are just too empty and the exploration is poorly paced. Mods such as DFB and IWS help break up the monotony, but it's not on the same level as professionally designed content and lacks elegance in the implementation (funny example of that below).

Side-Note Perhaps Bethesda's greatest design trick with Fallout 3 was convincing players that they are in a lonely, desolate wasteland - when in reality, interesting little discoveries and hidden dangers are very carefully placed around every corner without ever compromising this atmosphere. The "exploration pacing" is just much better in FO3. To be fair, this problem in NV probably has a lot to do with the fact that this was Obsidian's first attempt at an open-world game. I'm sure they would do much better a second time - and I really hope that Bethesda hands the reigns over for either another Fallout game or an Elder Scrolls spin-off; Obsidian definitely nailed some parts of New Vegas, and with this experience under their belts, I'd love to see their next attempt. (And Bethesda would certainly be wise to take note of what Obsidian did so well in NV).

Mod Story, continued One funny encounter I faced thanks to IWS: I was exploring between New Vegas on my way to Bitter Springs when I came across the most balance-breaking, absurd encounter I could ever imagine: a horde - a big, nasty Mongolian type horde - of Deathclaws gathered at some Railroad complex.

Now, this courier is not a coward, so I refused to load a different save, taking on the Mongolian Deathclaws head on. At this point in the game, I was worried that I had acquired too many grenades and stimpacks, making the difficulty too easy. Well, 10 minutes of frantically hurling every grenade in my inventory and gulping down the contents of my stimpacks (there was no time to inject them properly) took care of this balance issue for me.

By the end of the fight, I had retreated all the way back to the outskirts of Vegas - which of course gathered unwilling participants in the now legendary Battle of the Mongolian Deathclaw Invasion. Oh, the tragedy of war: Innocent caravan traders and ranchers, just trying to make a living in a post-post apocalypse world, their lifeless bodies now strewn across the streets…some of the casualties probably a result of my courageous grenade tossing…Thankfully, due to the chaos of the battle, no one suspects me of friendly fire, and I will be (justifiably) remembered as a hero.

On one hand, I was extremely pissed that the mod author of IWS didn't think of not including super-strong enemies like deathclaws and cazadors in the increased spawn lists. On the other, I am somewhat grateful for a battle that I will certainly always remember - in spite of the absurdity and how balance-breaking it was.

I guess it's time to deactivate IWS… I don't think I have the supplies or the courage to survive another encounter like this one, should the Mongolian Deathclaws decide to return and seek revenge (and they will… Of that I am certain).

Haha! THAT is particularly dangerous location even without mods to increase the spawns. I just killed about 10 deathclaws there. Sniping from a LONG distance is great with the Gobi. :) They didn't stand a chance (with me at level 30 at least).

IWS makes for a happy explosives character :) Missiles with splash damage and demolition expert III are especially fun.

Thrasher, never seen that error before. You could try a couple things:
1. Manually replacing the original UHNV-Bobblehead esp with the updated version, without NMM (can backup the old if you're worried). Then restarting NMM and moving it back into proper load order if necessary.
2. Or, refreshing/restarting NMM after installing the updated version via NMM (you should be getting confirmation to overwrite with this option...).
3. Or, deleting C:\Users\Mbennett.LMC-028018\AppData\Local\FalloutNV\Plugins.txt and getting NMM to create a new one. And subsequently re-activating your plugins.

All of the above involve NMM reconfirming your esp loadout.

Hmm. So it looks like the ESP is corrupted or FNedit thinks it is. Either the download was corrupted enroute or at its source, or I corrupted it somehow while zipping it up, or maybe NMM corrupted it when it installed and overwrote the original .esp.

This could turn into a long goosechase. For me, the most obvious and simplest explanation is usually the right one. In this case, that the file is corrupt. Have you downloaded and used this version that you pointed me to?

From your suggestions, you seem to suspect NMM screwed up. Granted, this is the first time I've told it to overwrite an .esp file. But, all my other overwrites have been textures and model files, and have appeared to work just fine. Is there a known problem you are aware of with NMM?

Thanks again!

I tried the file yesterday, it loaded fine in FNVEdit. I copied it again now to my Dropbox, here's an updated link. But, given that both old and new esp's are the same exact file size as what's in my backup data directory, I doubt it's the issue.

In addition to the NMM fixes above, you could also try this version of the fix, but I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks! Will try it. Also will search for that string before loading it to see if it's there before NMM. Just wondering if you'd heard about NMM screwing up the overwriting of .esps. I found there were some issues back in February with overwrites. But I think that's been fixed?

Also, are loading with NMM? Or another way?

NMM messing up the overwrite process, no, not offhand. But it helps to play it safe and update/sync the load order after overwriting esp's. Simply moving a plugin in your list accomplishes this, or restarting NMM/FOMM.

Also, are loading with NMM? Or another way?
Cannot compute Engrish; please rephrase ~.~

haha How are you installing mods? with NMM? In particular, this one. I'll just do what you do if necessary.

BTW, I do have to update the esp load order when I do the overwrite in NMM. Well, maybe not have to, but it puts it at the botton, when before I had it grouped with the other undergound hideout esp's. Easier for me to keep that stuff together/organized.

Generally, I use NMM for initial installation. B.O.S.S. for initial ordering, Wrye Bash for macro-level patching, and FNVEdit for general troubleshooting and more precise patching.

I made the changes to that UHNV bobblehead esp in FNVedit; I didn't install it separately.

OK, may try the same thing, but I haven't actually tried to edit anything in FNVedit. I assume you just changed some of the formIDs to match?

Last edited:
Really like this shot; it has a Mad Max vibe to it.

wmvz.jpg

In other news, personal AWOP patch now nearing 1mb in size. Ugh. Original author was imaginative and industrious in his modding. But, so very many rough edges...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom