To wait or not to wait, this is the question...

zahratustra

SasqWatch
This was something which was mentioned in a couple of threads here and in a thread about requirements for Watch Dogs: now is a bad time to get a new PC because of the arrival of DDR4 RAM, Broadwell CPUs and Maxwell based GPUs.
The problem is that release of those products doesn't appear to be as imminent as it was suggested.
As far as I can ascertain all of the above are slotted for the release sometime in the 1Q of 2015. At first (as is the case with any new tech) those products will be very expensive and, most probably, will suffer from teething problems. My guess would be that the prices will level off and the quality improve no sooner than 4Q of 2015 or even the 1Q of 2016. Considering that TW3 is supposed to be released in February 2015 I'm not sure if I can hold out for that long. What do you think guys?

DDR4 won't make a lick of difference in gaming, Witcher 3 or otherwise. And new cpus are always on the horizon.

Furthermore, I'm a staunch believer that if any game is designed with consoles in mind, they'll never stress even average PCs (unless modded).

When it comes to computer tech, I find that there is always something on the horizon that you feel you should wait for. That said, you could just be endlessly waiting for "the next best thing" while you could be enjoying that time with a new computer.

You can always upgrade in the future when the time is right. But I would throw as much money at a new computer as I could to "future proof" myself a bit longer and then just upgrade as necessary later.

Good luck!

I couldn't hold. Just a minute ago, I've ordered components.
Since I want to play Watch Dogs badly, and couldn't get fast all those I've numbered in partpicker in another topic, I've ordered some others instead, all should be shipped on my address in 2-3 days.
Took me a few days to combine parts that are not insolently expensive but still good enough to run everything. Perversions like 2 cards in SLI mode or sci-fi coolers for overclocked rig I've decided to forget.

My poor old machine that's running everything smooth except Thief (although it should run on it flawlessly) and Watch Dogs will go to my sis in law. She uses some crappy laptop and couldn't enjoy mustplay gems like The Witcher 2 (due to stutters).
My bro? He's into making music so… Apart a nice sound card he doesn't care.
My friends? Meh… They mostly play shooters and games from a decade ago.

Just as Drithius I also don't think DDR4 will matter much in next 2-3 years.
Current best CPUs are like you can't max the use of them in any kind of software so some new ones won't matter much probably again in next 2-3 years.
An impact on prices (drops) will probably happen with upcoming nvidia 800 series, but I don't care much for that.
The only reason to wait more could be a possible pricedrop on SSD, but… I'm too impatient for that.

Yeah, I agree with you guys. I have to wait for this month pay check but, after that, I'm going shopping for a new comp :)

One thing to add… In case you're after the new Wolfenstein… It's 50 gigs big.

IMO that's retarded, but expect "the size matters" idiocy also from other upcoming games so before you buy anything, make sure your internet options will allow you to download a huge installer. Otherwise you can have an airplane in the house and still react like this (steam community, Thief game):

28mel4l.jpg

Those four hearts mask a certain four letters word. Guess which one. :)

Nah, I'm not after Wolfenstein and I don't have a problem with big downloads BUT, Nvida has a promotion and with 4 gigs Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 OC I will be getting Watch Dogs for free!

You get free Watch Dogs with any new 660 or better nvidia card. ;)
Check it here:
http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/pc-games/watch-dogs/bundle

As you may see it's confirmed that GTX 670 is enough for very high settings, so there.
https://twitter.com/Design_Cave/status/468385080973352961
No need to buy 2 SLI titans just to get a freebie game rumored not to be able to work perfectly on "bah anything less than 700 is so beneath me" card. :D

However I'm unsure if it's possible to turn it into deluxe version so I'll probably buy the deluxe version separately and give the nvidia code to some friend who's not into bloody cow clickers and phoneballsqueezers.
Greenmangaming sent -25% preorder promoe-mail with a voucher code.

:rotfl: Fucking UPlay though...

At least you know it'll work.
Just spotted this on Wolfenstein steam minireviews:

24ypjbk.jpg

For god's sakes.
What are they doing?
Ah, silly me. It's published by Bethesda.

For god's sakes.
What are they doing?

That's because the game is using the same id Tech 5 game engine from Rage. In case anyone forgot that engine uses mega textures, and it's the reason the large file size.

I wouldn't wait for new RAM or whatever, but the next GeForce series should be out before TW3, DA3 and so on.

Yea but the price is huge and will stay like that for a while. As you may see on amazon, Titan Z is currently priced $4K and it's not even out yet. I'm not giving that kind of cash for a gfx card. Not only it's abnormally expensive, it contains 12 GB GDDR5 RAM and there are two Kepler chips (GK110) on it. Which game can maximize the usage of that? None.

So why wait really? Just pop onto tom's hardware to see which card (or CPU) is best for the money in different ranges (entry, mid, enthusiast, high, extreme):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
I'm not a high end or extreme type of person when it comes to graphics, although I have a bit of a graphics whore in me, it's still not enough to waste time on skyrim visual mods.
Let's say I'm an enthusiast who doesn't care for 2560x1440 resolutions - so I picked exactly the card suggested there for the type of person I am, nVidia 760 (precisely it's Gainward Phantom model I've ordered as I adore it's silence on my now old card!).

Best gaming CPU for the money this month?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html#xtor=RSS-182
Yea… I'm not only into games so let's say I'll be doing some other kinky stuff too on my PC. Here I went for the high end suggestion, but not the highest - I'm not doing some realtime rendering job nor am mixing FLAC format music. And then ordered Intel Core i5-4670K. Not very expensive, overclockable (although I don't plan to do that, but you never know ;)) and doesn't suck a huge amount of power nor gets extremely hot like AMD.

Last edited:
Why nVidia 760 and not 770 joxer? Was price a factor?

Yea but the price is huge and will stay like that for a while. As you may see on amazon, Titan Z is currently priced $4K and it's not even out yet. I'm not giving that kind of cash for a gfx card. Not only it's abnormally expensive, it contains 12 GB GDDR5 RAM and there are two Kepler chips (GK110) on it. Which game can maximize the usage of that? None.

So why wait really?

I'm not talking about high end cards like the Titan though. The current series of GF760 and GF770 is likely to be replaced during 2014 by cards that cost the same, but are significantly stronger (30-40% is not uncommon). A gap like this only happens once every 2-3 years or something, so it's usually worth waiting a bit unless you need an upgrade right now (for example if you want to play Risen 3 is out in August).

"Likely" is the kicker Maylander. Trouble is that nobody (except nVidia's board) knows for sure.

Currently the price difference on 760 and 770 is $100. Something like that.
But I don't play games on monstrous resolutions and I don't use unoptimized visual mods for games so I really didn't see a reason to buy 770. In fact, I believe 770 is not worth it, if you don't expect enough from 760, you should probably skip both and go instantly for 780.

Random card vs card comparision:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/...cs-card-comparison-review/?tab=verdictTab#top
, you should only be opting for the 760 instead if you either have an absolute price limit of around the £200 mark, or if it's vital that the card is extremely power efficient.
Yes to me the efficiency means a lot. That's also the reason I went for intel instead of cheaper amd.

But Maylander is right, next year this time there will be stronger cards for the same price. So what. I bet all 700 series cards will still be able to run anything on high (on "normal" 1920x1080 resolution ofc).

The whole idea should be what exactly you want to get from your machine. I wanted a not utterly expensive machine that will run Watch Dogs flawlessly and won't have hiccups in next couple of years. If The Witcher 3 won't be able to run on 760, I bet it won't run on 770 either. In that case, I'll just buy a new card knowing I didn't spend some $100 in the first place. :)

I agree with you joxer. My point was that, if reasonably priced nVidia new gen cards (not re-brands like 770) were to appear in 2014, I could probably wait. But I strongly suspect that it's much more likely for it to happen in 2015 and, by than, I should have enough money to get a new card.

Forget about waiting for DDR4. I had the same thought for awhile, but it'll probably be at least another year before it becomes prevalent.

The Geforce GTX 770 is a great card for the price imo. What do you currently have in your system?

For god's sakes.
What are they doing?

Got it yesterday and I had to dump the settings down considerably to make it playable. I'm not just talking about getting low FPS, the game literally crashes the OpenGL driver and in one case I got a BSOD. I wonder who does QA for Bethesda? Game seems fun enough though.

Back
Top Bottom