Dark Souls - Confirmed for PC

I've heard so many good things about this game, but only payed peripheral attention to it since it wasn't out (and didn't seem to be coming out) for the PC. Hope this comes to be true though.

I think it's going to look great on PC at 1920x1080, with high res textures, 16xAF, post processing, etc.

I'm going to give this a try. They specifically mention controller support for the pc. This worries me as the main reason I don't play games on consoles is I really dislike controllers and have a hell of a time any time I have to control the camera or try to aim with them.

It doesn't surprise me that they support controllers but if they just port it and expect people to play with a controller rather than optimize keyboard and mouse controls, then I see no reason to bring it to pc.

Bad game in my view. I know it is very highly rated and this is just my opinion but the very high difficulty level which means dying a lot, the repetition in having to replay and re-fight through the same areas over and over again due to dying a lot and the lack of manual savegames, and the general twitchy-ness of the game was a real letdown for me.

If they implemented a save anywhere feature and, more importantly, got rid of the re-spawning then it could be worth trying due to the huge popularity of the game but I won't be trying it again.

Saving anywhere would defeat the whole purpose of the game, removing the respawning would too. They'd also have to rewrite the story a bit, that's not gonna happen..

It would be like putting a Save anywhere-function in a Rogue Like game, completely defeats the purpose of playing such game.

Twitchy? The combat is actually quite slow-paced and cerebral. The save system isn't save-anywhere, it's save-everywhere. You just can't load older saves. Don't think of it like replaying sections, the sections are designed for repeat play - the idea is to master each section.

Controller support is probably a must for this, but I'll be interested to see if they can implement an effective mouse and keyboard control system.

hell yeah! all of a sudden , with kickstarter and top downs, god starts spreading pink.

Good news!

Also hopefully someone will be able to mod/hack in a proper pause function...

I'm going to give this a try. They specifically mention controller support for the pc. This worries me as the main reason I don't play games on consoles is I really dislike controllers and have a hell of a time any time I have to control the camera or try to aim with them.

It doesn't surprise me that they support controllers but if they just port it and expect people to play with a controller rather than optimize keyboard and mouse controls, then I see no reason to bring it to pc.

For first-person shooters and similarily twitchy third-person action games I agree with you that robust mouse/keyboard implementation on PC is vastly preferable to plugging in a gamepad. In this specific case, however, it's worth keeping in mind that Demon's Souls/Dark Souls are slow-paced melee-heavy games with "lock on target" functionality and with world exploration elements which pretty much require precise and seamless movement (for example, gently nudging the analog sticks on the gamepad in order to navigate the character on narrow ledges perilously close to bottomless chasms etc.). I honestly can't see this kind of gameplay working satisfactorily with PC-exclusive control setups no matter how good the port is.

Like it or not, gamepads have become a well-established standard on PC by now and unlike Dead Island (which was criticized for controller-exclusive manual aim options), I think Dark Souls' controller-oriented gameplay should make sense even for keyboard purists. There's a learning curve involved if you're unaccustomed to it, sure, but mere unfamiliarity with gamepads is something everyone can overcome.

Like it or not, gamepads have become a well-established standard on PC by now

really? since when?

i play almost exclusively on pc and have never used a gamepad since joy sticks went out of fashion in the early 90s.

that said, i also play, most of the time, games that are designed from the ground up for PC and none need a gamepad (and i almost never see gamepad options in controls unless i just don't notice because i'm not using one).

is it more that console game ports need game pads because devs are lazy and some people of opted for the xbox control for pc now?

i'm with the posters further up, though. i'm interested in dark souls for pc but will give it a miss if the controls suck unless you have a gamepad.

The game was not supposed to come out on PC. They designed it from ground up for consoles and gamepads only.
It is possible that they will suceed in somehow adapting it well to mouse and keyboard, but to be honest, I would not be surprised if gamepad was among its requirements. Personally I will definitely play it on gamepad, because that is how the game was designed.

And finally any of you won't have a excuse to not try it ;).
Anyway, I'm more curious about the additional content for the PC version: I hope it won't be just two more bosses...

I haven't played Dark Souls, but I did play the predecessor Demons Soul. Be prepared for one tough game. There are no checkpoints or saving in the middle of a level, and if you die you start at the beginning again with everything respawned. It can quickly lead to frustration, though once you complete a level you have a real feeling of accomplishment.

I beat it on the Xbox, and the good things were very good (graphics, atmosphere, combat was fun), but the difficulty was a real turnoff for me. I don't mind hard games, but this game punishes you repeatedly by making you walk back from respawn points, which are placed 2-3 minutes from a boss if you just run by all the enemies. At some point, I found myself just looking through a walkthrough on how to beat a boss rather than spend 20 minutes of walking as punishment for trial and error. If you don't mind a game that makes the stakes wasting your time, then you can enjoy the challenge. I found it masochistic, but addictive.

For first-person shooters and similarily twitchy third-person action games I agree with you that robust mouse/keyboard implementation on PC is vastly preferable to plugging in a gamepad. In this specific case, however, it's worth keeping in mind that Demon's Souls/Dark Souls are slow-paced melee-heavy games with "lock on target" functionality and with world exploration elements which pretty much require precise and seamless movement (for example, gently nudging the analog sticks on the gamepad in order to navigate the character on narrow ledges perilously close to bottomless chasms etc.). I honestly can't see this kind of gameplay working satisfactorily with PC-exclusive control setups no matter how good the port is.

Like it or not, gamepads have become a well-established standard on PC by now and unlike Dead Island (which was criticized for controller-exclusive manual aim options), I think Dark Souls' controller-oriented gameplay should make sense even for keyboard purists. There's a learning curve involved if you're unaccustomed to it, sure, but mere unfamiliarity with gamepads is something everyone can overcome.

I don't want to get in to a controllers vs m&k debate. The main difference between console and pc gaming is controls. If they don't plan on addressing that sufficiently then just leave it on consoles.

I played demon souls on ps3 and stopped because of the controller. Could I get used to the controller? Sure but honestly I don't want to that's why I play on pc. Not to mention, dark souls doesn't sound like a game you want to play if your not used to the controls. I had no problems playing KOA, batman aa and ac, The Witcher 2, etc., etc. with M&K. All of which many told me should be played with a controller.

If they give decent M&K support i'm sure i'll have no problems playing it. If they don't i'll have to pass. AS far as controllers being a well established standard on pc, i'd have to disagree at this point. I do see them becoming more and more prevalent in the coming years. If it ever gets to the point where they become the default control system for pc's. I fear i'd have to hang up my M&K and find a new hobby.

It's a good very difficult action game, certainly not much of an RPG though.

Mouse/keyboard really doesnt make too much sense in third person games, gamepads are based around those type of games and it's very noticeable. For example the seamlessnes between walking/sneaking slowly to running at full speed, very convenient and something a mouse or keyboard never could do. Most of the combat moves would suck too using keyb/mouse i think, they would feel very off..

Back
Top Bottom