Select a Candidate 2008

And what's the line-item thingamajing? A partial veto sounds like a bad idea, but there must be more to the issue than that...

AFA the line item veto--and more informed persons, feel free to jump in--I think it represents a way to control "pork" spending. Here in the U.S., many bills are written to address one issue (say health care for children) that may be popular and seen as a "sure thing" to pass, then various individual legislative factions tack their their own little programs to it that may have nothing to do with the original purpose of the bill (much like hijacking a forum thread. ;) )but benefit them or their constituents in some way. To the best of my knowledge, a line item veto would allow the president to pick and choose which riders were allowed to pass with the bill.

It sounds like a good thing, but then again it could easily be misused by a president, and give the executive branch even more power.

@Prime Junta: I hope you're right, since I think one or another of Obama's hates will be our next president. :)

It sounds like a good thing, but then again it could easily be misused by a president, and give the executive branch even more power.

That's it, exactly. For example, suppose a tax cut was tied to a reduction in corporate subsidies. The line-item veto could allow the Prez to approve the tax cut but veto the reduction. Not good.

God I'm getting old!!!:blush:
OSAMA, that is. Course, for all we know, Obama could hate them, too.

our current president has already overstepped his authority in executive powers, giving a line-item veto would make the matters worse for any president. just because bush has only vetoed 4 items (including the horrid recent one) takes away from the fact that he has more "signing statements" than all prior presidents put together!

What would happen if everyone decided to stay home and NOT vote??

lots of people do its called absentee ballots;)

it would never happen as it would end up being a pure setup to dissenfrance certain voters, much like in the last presidential election where african american heavy neighborhoods where sent mailings that said the election was on a different day. i think asking a question like that is useful only in the fact that if you got everyone to agree on doing one thing, it in itself would be a feat of humankind, but highly unlikely anytime soon.

much like in the last presidential election where african american heavy neighborhoods where sent mailings that said the election was on a different day.
Do you have any facts to back that up?

Interesting. Certainly foul, but on the other hand if you're stupid enough to fall for that sort of thing I'm not sure you've got any business determining who's best to run our government anyway. Don't cry to me about the Constitution not requiring an IQ test to vote--I know that, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't.

Equal between Barrack Obama and Hillary Clinton for me. I disagreed with them on Taxes and Line-Item Veto but I did not know what thoose questions were about so do not blame me for that.

Ron Paul 3rd last with 11 points.

Last edited:
you have to be a powerful speaker and leader to be president, even of something as simple as a occupational orginization. ron paul doesn't fit that bill,.

I don't know how you get that impression. Ron Paul is the debater I've seen... honest and straight to the point. US President is only a commender-in-chief of armed forces by the Constitution - a very limited role. RP lives an examply life that speaks louder than any empty speech. He will protect personal liberty, doesn't want to run your life, the economic or the world. Anyone else telling you otherwise is either a madman or an idiot.

Last edited:
initials aren't the only thing ron paul and ross perot share in common. ross perot wasn't electable for many reasons one was his 'mousiness'. ron paul shares that same characteristic. its a not a written requirement, but some things just are no matter how shallow they are. people don't discuss them because they don't want to sound predujice but that's simply the way it is. with all the reality tv, etc. peoples important on everything shallow has only risen. it jesus was reborn as ron paul people wouldn't except him either, his voice, the way he looks, he doesn't have the right aura around him...humankind expects something out of their leaders despite how judgemental that is. if and when he becomes a contender i'm sure the media will find the equivalent of ross perots "can i finish" to make him seem even weaker.

Do I give a dime what others "think" of his appearance this second or the next? There are always sheeple looking for a german shepherd. It only matters what YOU as a free individual think of him...and decide on that.

its fine to believe in whoever you want, but you must be realistic when you're addressing the issues of electablity. its akin to the fact that there aren't to many overweight and acne covered models now or probably ever modeling for victoria secret of playboy. part of the job of a leader is appearance and oratory skills. i'm not making this up, and you should fight to get in office for who you believe in, but i wouldn't be putting your money or career on the hopes of ron paul. its nice to see different canadates getting attention as i'm all for the toppeling of the 2 party system. but ron paul is still a republican so his interest for me in him is nil. voting for him to me makes no statement at all, other than that there are good republicans out there. but i'm already aware of that. at least with nader or perot, you had the idea of trying to give other parties some power. also i'm fond of the colour green:)

You are funny, on the hand you are saying I am unrealistic about RP chance of getting elected, on the other you believe a third-party candidate would be able to generate enough buzz...or even toppeling the two party system. You can come straight out as a Demo without dancing around or to state all you had written so far is of your own personal opinions without ascribing them to "other people". I vote on issues, not on colors.

i can't really follow your last comment. how is it funny? what does electing ron paul have to with toppling a 2 party system. eventually if enough 3rd party canidates get attention over a long period of time then yes i see it changing, but thats not going to happen with any amount of buzz, or even a 'grass roots' effort. it takes a complete mind change of the country. the media however is the biggest obstacle for this and i can't see them letting up as they have to much to profit from it the way things are. a solid canidate who is electable is what i'm referring to. the matter of issues is a completely different subject. those matter to me as well which is why i'm with obama because more than anyone else i agree with his views an plans. i've never been registered democrat, and i was registered republican for a decade so you can think what you want. personally i dislike republicans more that democrats, but i don't ally with either. the green comment was a joke, but colour still has something of an emotion validity to whatever it represents. if there was a purple party it would be associated with the rich, and pink if was a gay party. i like green and the party because the environment is of high importance to me. this is one topic where republicans consistentaly scoff at so they get no love for me there. and obviously what i write is my own opinion but you not aknowledging that people expect certain standards and ron paul's demeanour is "physically" weak though he is a sharp, kind guy just as much as someone like cheney is "scary". a timid or scary person will never be elected. even names sometimes are simple enough to sway people. this is all psychology and its effect isn't disputable, only its magnitude. a neutral name is less likely to matter but in the case of gore and bush for example, a name like gore resonates much worsely in someones mind and president gore just has an unpleasant sound to it. whether or not anyone actually didn't vote for gore isn't the point. his name did help build a bad aura for him which when associated with his 'robot'ness made him all the more unappealing dispite his qualifications. obama might face some similar problems especially with all the efforts/slips calling him osama and the false statements that he trained at a muslim school. plenty of people know how to, and are working the psychological system, so its really up to you if you want to be aware of it or not.

CU, could I make a simple suggestion. Please break a long post into smaller sections; it's MUCH easier to read. :)

Back
Top Bottom