The Witcher - Gone Gold!

Dhruin do you know anything about the min specs?

We posted the specs a while back:

Minimum requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800

1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista

128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)

8.5 GB available hard drive space

DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones

DVD-Rom

Recommended requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz or AMD X2 5600+

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 PRO

8.5 GB available hard drive space

DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones

DVD-Rom

I have a modest P4 3.2, 6800GT and 2Gb and it ran quite well (1024x768, hi settings but low AA) at 25-30fps, except for the swamp, which was a real pain with mist and rain slowing things down.

Ladies and Gentelmen!

We've got first reviews in French game magazines

Joystick review
9/10
Award : Megastar award
quote: “Forget everything you know about RPG’s. Intense and deep…The Witcher is the new reference for RPG’s”

PC Jeux review
90%
Award: ‘Hit PC Jeux’ award

!!!!!!

Make some news of it.

Last edited:
Sounds very positive... I'm definitley looking forward to this. Apart from 2 (arguably 3, but ToEE doesn't make my list) Troika Rough Gems, there hasn't been a great RPG this decade until just recently in MotB. Getting 2 within a month would be... amazing. If it has 2 or 3 months worth of polish over what a decent game has, it should be a dream to play.

Dhruin, my system is very similar to yours. I'm running a 3800+ Venice and 6800GS with 2 GB of RAM (DDR1 though, obviously). Good to hear it mostly runns nicely.

I think it's sensible for anyone with concerns to wait to see comments. I have it pre-ordered -- which says a lot because I've played it -- but then again, I haven't played the whole thing, so anything is possible. Don't take a preview as a final review.

:) You can feel free to take this with a grain of salt (damnit, I hate that term) but I'd talked to Atari's producer on the game yesterday and he mentioned that, in his opinion, it actually ends better than it begins... that's pretty awesome to me; I've had enough games lately in which the ending just didn't live up to the rest of the game.

@Dhurin: Besides the nipples, do you know if there are any difference in story or dialog between the US and the UK version of the game? I don't care for the visual differences, but stories and/or dialog changes I DO mind.

thanks.

'...said Larry Liberty, Senior Producer, Atari, Inc. "We're confident that The Witcher will prove to be one of the most acclaimed RPG titles this Fall.'"

Uh, setting the bar a bit low aren't we Larry? I mean, it's a pretty safe assumption considering the very limited genre and the fact that you are limiting it further to a single season.

If I were a PR for a game that I really believed in, I would be spouting "possible game of the year" at the very least!

Jabberwocky I get the feeling that you are overanalysing his words a bit now. Most of those press releases are just bs anyway.. I belive my own eyes and those dozens reports all over the gaming sites. Judging by the videos witcher feels and looks like a game for my taste. I'm going to buy the game at the relase day just to show my support (and ofcourse because I can't wait to play it! :D)

That's good to hear Tom. Between Bioshock and MotB, I've become frustrated with games that start out amazing, but decay and fail to fulfill my expectations at the end. The last 2 level s of Bioshock were just.. not up to par, and the last act of MotB was quite dissapointing. If The Witcher can deliver an ending that lives up to, or even blows away the beggining and middle, it'll likely be my GOTY.

Yes, gimmie The Witcher asap cause I don't have anything worthy to play atm. So I play through n-th time Fallout 2 and Vampire Bloodlines... :)

The Witcher may set the bar a lot higher for single-player CRPG with real-time combat. I wonder how the folks at Bethesda and Piranha Bytes feel about it. The competition is looking good!

Finally. It's been a long time coming. Is this still on for the 26th in the UK/EU?

Yeap. 26th - Europe, 30th USA, Australia at the beginning of November - I don't know exactly.

Sounds great ... looking forward to this!

I'll never stop playing games I've already requested to be buried with my computer fully loaded with the best CRPG's. The problem is getting a decent power source to my coffin. J/K LOL.

Regarding the Witcher, I'm sure they wanted to get it out for Christmas. They want to make some money for their efforts and their release time couldn't be better. As long as the game is stable and reasonably bug free, they should sell a lot of copies, IMO.

I am clean since July, my spare time and money just found a worthwhile cause. But the Witcher might fill up the void left from my expectation of G3. Anyone know where can I get a CE of the game ship to the US?

I'm going to wait until reading the reviews and comments. The Witcher looks good from what I've seen but there's always a chance that things may not be implemented well or some earth-shattering annoyances come up such as infinite and frequent monster respawning or whatever. I won't wait long, though, if the initial review scores from sites I enjoy are good I'll get it.

Jabberwocky I get the feeling that you are overanalysing his words a bit now. Most of those press releases are just bs anyway.. I belive my own eyes and those dozens reports all over the gaming sites. Judging by the videos witcher feels and looks like a game for my taste. I'm going to buy the game at the relase day just to show my support (and ofcourse because I can't wait to play it! :D)

Yes, I agree I totally overanalysed his statement, but it was in the name of irony, not finding fault with the game. I was trying to say that I have doubts about the words chosen by the representative.

I'm totally stoked about this game. I've said in other threads more than once that this looks like the game I will finally enjoy as much as Gothic!

cool video, even though I don't understand what they say

Back
Top Bottom