Deus Ex 3 - Square Enix to do Cinematics

magerette

Hedgewitch
Total Video Games has posted the announcement that Deus X 3 will be the first game to reflect the acquistion of Eidos by Square Enix earlier this year, with the Final Fantasy artists of the Japanese division in charge of cinematic sequences:
Deus Ex 3 will benefit from the amalgamation of Eidos and Square-Enix with confirmation that the game's cinematics will be created by the Japanese division, who've previously demonstrated their skill and experience in the CG-heavy Final Fantasy series.

"Deus Ex 3 is going to be the first project which will be a concrete product of joint effort between Square Enix and Eidos," Stephane D'Astous recently told EDGE. "The cinematics—by which I mean any CGI pre-rendered cinematics — are going to be done in Tokyo by Square Enix, and that's going to be amazing."

D'Astous claims that the team is excited by the prospect of working on a title unrelated to Final Fantasy and also showed an interest in Thief 4.
As mentioned above, there's a bit more information over at EDGE.
More information.

Hopefully, they'll forget about DX2 and get back to the gameplay of Deus Ex.

On gameplay, I believe we will see something completely new for this one.

That is good since it lets the developers focus on the gameplay and also Square Enix should be able to do an excellent job of making the cinematics.

Hmm while DE & FF8 are practically the absolute top of my favourites, I must admit that I'm a bit frightened by this union... It's just that those are two different (very enjoyable) cRPG poles - you don't mix pizza with icecream even though you like them both...

While the high quality of the said videos is almost assured, I'm not so sure that people from SquareEnix are able to handle such a dark atmosphere as the one I'd expect from DE3 to be a worthy DE successor. Let's hope they've grew tired of their current style and are up to the task.

Hopefully, not all characters will have spiked hair.

Came here to say this. Nice one.

Understanding the debt owed to Japanese manga/anime, I still long for the day when the traditional Western artistic milieu reasserts itself.

Some day someone is going to spend a lot of money making an entirely cgi fantasy movie with the visual style of a Larry Elmore painting… and I will want to go see that movie.

Some day someone is going to spend a lot of money making an entirely cgi fantasy movie with the visual style of a Larry Elmore painting… and I will want to go see that movie.

I do not think that will happen in the US. In the US money talks, there's no such thing as achievements in arts and culture. Every great deed done by the US since it's birth have been in response to a war, including the moon landing.

In the US money talks, there's no such thing as achievements in arts and culture. Every great deed done by the US since it's birth have been in response to a war, including the moon landing.

Are you joking? There's been no artistic achievement to come out of the US? Do I need to list the world-renowned novelists, film-makers, musicians, artists, etc.?

Are you joking? There's been no artistic achievement to come out of the US? Do I need to list the world-renowned novelists, film-makers, musicians, artists, etc.?

Jemy is our resident open-minded method man ;)

Since the creators of the game decide the visual representation of the game that means people making the cinematics have to go along with that style so I don't think you have to worry about the cinematics being anime style since they won't be.

What's "world-renowned"? Someone who made contributions to mankind, or someone who is famous because they got a good marketing strategy and rich sponsors?

Internet Rule #47: Never engage in debate with an individual who has the spare time to make 2800+ posts to a crpg discussion website.

Ignoring this sage wisdom, this:

"In the US money talks, there's no such thing as achievements in arts and culture. Every great deed done by the US since it's birth have been in response to a war, including the moon landing."

… is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the internet in the 20+ years I've been using it.

Please, PLEASE, keep your agitprop juvenilia at least somewhat in check.

I frequent this site enough to be aware of your self-ascribed role here. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for you.

Contrary to your current perception, this is not ad-hominem; it's advice, pure and simple.

You SHOULD be ashamed of yourself. But I suspect you're merely inspired instead.

(Don't expect a further response on this topic. That would only feed the beast, wouldn't it?)

Another failure to meet the simple challenge I gave.

Now listen to this lecture 2 3 4 and reconsider.

(That man, is an American, and one of the greatest inspirations in my life.)

What's "world-renowned"? Someone who made contributions to mankind, or someone who is famous because they got a good marketing strategy and rich sponsors?

So in your opinion, there has been zero artistic achievement in the entire history of the United States, and all of the critical acclaim is attributable to marketing budgets.

Hmm…

"In the US money talks, there's no such thing as achievements in arts and culture. Every great deed done by the US since it's birth have been in response to a war, including the moon landing."

… is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the internet in the 20+ years I've been using it.

I agree with that. I can only assume he is a college student and (like many, including myself in the day) suckered in by some extreme, univocal understanding of the world. That's the generous interpretation. Either that, or he's the forum kook.

I do understand that arguing with anyone who believes such a thing is a pointless waste of time. They are too far gone for me to retrieve.

Last edited:
JemyM always seems to revert to being a hateful idiot when it comes to discussing anything related to America.

He apparently knows more about America than any of us…. even though he's never been here. ;)

JemyM always seems to revert to being a hateful idiot when it comes to discussing anything related to America.

He apparently knows more about America than any of us…. even though he's never been here. ;)

I shouldn't have been so harsh, perhaps. This is certainly not the place for it.

Truth be told, my response was based more on an observed pattern of consistent behavior and opinion, that I've witnessed here over time. More so than this particular display of stupidity.

I wish I could mention the things that immediately sprang to mind when considering American contribution; without the other party having access to instantaneous and extensive information about it.

Just to see the true span of the ignorance necessary to propagate such a world-view.

2 words: Norman Borlaug

(I once heard it said that if John Lennon had only ever written one song, Imagine, and nothing else; he should still be considered one of the greatest songwriters in history.)

In much the same way, if the only contribution America had ever made to the world was the work of Norman Borlaug, and nothing else, they still would have contributed more to the world, to it's peace and prosperity, than any other nation in history. By far.

Walt Whitman. Louis Armstrong. Bob Beamon. Pet Sounds. Etc. Etc. Etc.

The !@#$ing Constitution. Only the Magna Carta, in all the thousands of years of recorded human history, comes close to what the American Constitution truly represents in terms of human advancement.

[Warning: The current U.S. government may or may not resemble the government envisioned in the Constitution. Batteries not included.]

I'm not American. America is a terribly flawed nation. America has made many mistakes.

America has also, demonstrably and empirically, been far, far more of a positive force for mankind, than it has been a negative one.

By orders of magnitude.

To say otherwise is simply stupid. Willfully so.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with Jemy or anyone criticizing the US. We certainly deserve a lot of criticism. I'm just flabbergasted at anyone who would say that no US citizen has ever produced a worthwhile accomplishment in the arts. That is just sheer and gross ignorance. I guess knowing that he hates the US helps to make sense of it, though.

Back
Top Bottom