Chaos Chronicles - The Dialogue System

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Chaos Chronicles site brings us more information about the dialogue system that is being used in the game.
Over the past year, we have been working on a reliable engine, the OGL 3.5e rules implementation, hundreds of effects and thousands of assets for different scenarios which our level designers have put together to beautiful places that could be called ‘narrative’ on their very own.
Professional authors developed a world and story that are deeper than anything we (being non-professional in that area) could have come up with on our own. And now it’s finally time to sew all of this together by using the mechanism that beats as the heart of most RPGs: dialogue trees.
We are aware that dialogue trees have their shortcomings and there’s probably not a player out there who felt that any game *always* provided all the answers he or she would have come up with. But the sheer narrational potential of this mechanism prevented us from ever raising concerns about their final application in the game.
Over the last weeks we completed our own dialogue system that includes a powerful and comfortable tree editor to provide our designers with a tool to quickly create and modify dialogues for the game.
More information.

Some great quotes in the article. I love the idea of Easter egg dialogue options such as "….an NPC who only talks to you if your party consists entirely of dwarves."

Just take my money already!

Looks great. I like the Peter and the Wolf approach to the musical score and some of the artwork has a Roger Dean (Yes!) look about it; love those floating islands. If they can make a convincing world and plot this one could really rock.

Quite what's fueling the incredible revival of so many games in this genre, after a decade, is baffling ... but great.

Back
Top Bottom