Risen - Bestiary Update: Sea Volchers

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Risen website has been updated with a new creature; The Sea Volchers and a video of it.
Sea volchers are not an uncommon sight in the Faranga Islands; they are frequently seen squatting on boulders, waiting for their next meal with their cold, staring eyes.
Volchers are carrion eaters, which means that they eat anything they find dead on the ground, even if they have not killed it themselves; it has also been reported on various occasions that they feast on creatures which are still alive, but too weak to escape their greedy, hacking beaks.
Thanks Kostaz for the update.
More information.

I actually saw this on Facebook first ... guess the plan is working ...

But these are flying scavengers. Anyway it's cool they are back, they were my favourite animals in both Gothics as well, but where are molerats? I want them too!

it has also been reported on various occasions that they feast on creatures which are still alive, but too weak to escape

Like the Godlike player character you mean?

The volchers can be quite sneaky, spelling doom for many a careless adventurer who was suddenly attacked from behind

But...

Oh PB, you're so silly. But I still love ya.

This is what PB would have continued with if the gothic series had not changed hands or became officially finalised...but this is PB and Risen in effect is G4 by any other name, the hereditory lineage is remarkable and following true to form.

Similarities or equivalents of previous gothics.

1. Sea Voltures.......Scavengers
2. Gnomes..............Goblins.
3. Skeletons............Skeletons.
4. Thunder Lizards....Lizards(G1) Monsters(G3)
5. Ghouls................Zombies(G1)Lurkers(G3)
6. Rotworms............Swampsharks(G1)
7. Ogres..................Ogres(G3)
8. Ashbeasts...........Trolls.

I mostly agree with you, but I don't find any simillar monsters to the Thunder Lizard. As for gnomes, goblins were just some critters in Gothic games, the gnomes of Risen are much better portrayed. Ogres too, who in Gothic 3 were just some stong monsters, the one's in Risen would be a mix of Orcs(Gothic1) Ogres(Gothic3). Ghouls, well I find 'em quite good, yes it looks like a mix of zombie and lurker, but hey no one has mixed something like that. Ashbeast does look simillar to the troll, cuz they're both guerilla based monsters. Rotworms and Swampsharks? Both are slimy worms, tho the swampshark is a reptile if I remember correctly.

But seriously take any fantasy game and you'll see lots of stuff drawn from something, mostly LOTR.

Aww, what a cute sound it makes!

Yup, the monster updates aren't like the subtle hints from before, now PB is pointing their finger and asking: "So how do you like the look of the new Gothic?"

I maintain that they should show us the new minecrawler and shadowbeast already.

Well that beast reminds more of the mantis bug from NOTR, then there's those grave moths, which are of the bloodfly type.

Looks better and cooler then the scavengers :)
keep up the good job PB

Back
Top Bottom