Lord British Ultimate RPG countdown!

Given how horrible I am at using skills in games like NWN, this sounds like an improvment to me!

Multiplayer ?

Done. I won't buy it.

Okay, I admit that I do play 2 MMOs currently (DDO is paused, though, as I'm preferring to play SWTOR nowadays), but both are exceptions to me.

No, I'm so tired of all this modern "action" approach ... I want something I loved when RPGs were ... what I played when I was much younger. ;)

Right now, the RPG genre is more or less done for me. There is no game that I'd want to play right now - only some games which are in the making.

These days I'm rather going back to my roots again and buy myself adventure games - I'm currently having much, much more fun with them, than with RPGs !

Maybe I'm just too weird for being a "normal" RPG player. ;)

hmm..no reagents system then? the man invented crafting and he's going with a CCG combat system?

hmm..no reagents system then? the man invented crafting and he's going with a CCG combat system?

No one said it like that...no mention of a CCG at all.

Alrik- you should check out Driftmoon. I've only played for a little while, but it's not at all grim or gritty, and it seems somewhere between an adventure game and RPG. It's cheap too.

So you'll never have the option to use the skill you want to use when you want to use it.

I guess I'll have to see how that works but it sounds terrible.

This is getting predictable.

It sure is. People are voicing their opinions, and you're going straight to fanboy mode.
Piss off. Opinions not based on fact but conjecture. Follow me like the stalker you are, want to talk about fanboy talk about risen with you.

Yesss.. I can feel your anger. It gives you focus.. makes you stronger. Your hate has made you powerful! If you only knew the power of the fanboi side!

Hey, it's going to get funded even without the support of rpgwatch so who gives a...

I'm basing my opinion on the video.

I assume you watched it.

The guy said you'll never have the option to use the skill you want when you want to use it.

I'm sure it's possible the guys wrong but this is the info I have to go on and it sounds terrible to me.

I just listened to the live question / answer stream (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/portalarium) and it cleared up a lot of things. This is totally not an MMO - and the multiplayer is optional. You can play the entire game solo, unplugged from the internet if you want.

The multiplayer will be both asynchronous (buying from a blacksmith players shop for example) and synchronous (grouping up with your friends to adventure).

It actually sounds like a pretty neat system - you determine how social you want to be.

My impression is the game concept is not easy to sum up in a quick pitch. They will be elaborating more as time goes on. So far, I've liked what I've heard.

Oh also - they confirmed in the stream that most of the art is placeholder! So this isn't how the game will really look. This is a prototype - not even alpha yet.

I like the "blow up" system he's going back to. Even as it stands with the fog of war and overland travel it feels much more like an Ultima.

One of the mistakes he made IMO with U9 was the removal of this.

When first implemented with Ultima I it was the workaround for limitation of the technology and it didn't just become a technique it added to the whole art of the game and was copied for decades. It was a feature he said he hated in U9.

Not sure if it can be traced back to the DnD days but in Akalabeth you had this not for towns but for dungeons. The original Telengard did this too.

They mentioned on the kickstarter page the reason for the two teired map system is that when in travel mode, it is a lot easier to add new content to the map...changes etc to the meta game.

This to me opens a lot of doors to keep it fresh and exciting.

No one said it like that…no mention of a CCG at all.

playing card was said in the video. I assumed it meant CCG like so many games but what it really meant was random skill selection.

I guess for speed he removes TB combat selection or queuing these skills up ala. KotOR. A Baldur's Gate style AI for this would be really interesting but its random aRPG instead.

playing card was said in the video. I assumed it meant CCG like so many games but what it really meant was random skill selection.

I guess for speed he removes TB combat selection or queuing these skills up ala. KotOR. A Baldur's Gate style AI for this would be really interesting but its random aRPG instead.

Hmmm, I see what you mean. Have you tried the card games dominion or thunderstone...or even the new marvel one?

It is really interesting how the cards come up and how you play the skills that do. It also becomes important to get rid of filler cards so you don't get stuck with a lame hand. If it works like that it could be really deep. I really wish I could explain how those games do it.

Hmm lets give it a shot, tell me if I don't make any sense. In those games each player starts off with money cards and attack cards, money cards being used to buy better cards from a layout of cards. Problem being is you need the original cards at the start but as the game progresses they become less useful then the "better" card you get in your deck. I'm not sure how this game will lay it out, but rest assured a strategy is required in deck games like that. It gets pretty deep at times too.

Y'now looking at the video I can't help but thinking of all the fan project remakes that came around 2000 starting with Ultima I. Other than the two Dungeon Siege ones (the reason I bought DS) there really were a lot of them and more than half ended up cancelled.

Some of them few people heard of. One of my last projects was a full remake, true to the original version as I could, of Ultima ]I[ for NWN which I should have just put on the Vault as it was but I didn't.

Getting the player be the boat was entertaining but played sloppy.

Back
Top Bottom