Risen 2 - Official Press Release

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Deep Silver sent us a press release announcing Risen 2: Dark Waters.
Deep Silver reveals Risen 2TM: Dark Waters
Piranha Bytes team to explore uncharted territories
21st February 2011 – Hampshire, UK/… Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes today officially revealed their new game Risen 2™: Dark Waters, the successor of the popular role-playing game Risen™. With an expanded setting, a fresh story and characters and an all-new technical foundation, Risen 2 will expand the success of the Risen franchise worldwide.

Set several years after the end of Risen, raging titans have devastated the world and pushed humanity to the brink of existence. Subsequently, monstrous creatures have risen from the watery depths of the sea and their attacks have brought all seafaring to a grinding halt. The hero, now a member of the Inquisition, is sent out to find out how to stop the chaos caused by these creatures from the deep. His quest begins with rumors that the pirates who frequent the southern islands are the only ones who know a way to get rid of the creatures once and for all and end their reign of terror.

With an all-new pirate-based theme, Risen 2: Dark Waters aims to combine the most loved classic RPG gameplay mechanics of the original Risen with a fresh theme and setting on a huge variety of themed island locales. A third-person role-playing game set in a dark and gritty universe, Risen 2: Dark Waters maintains the most immersive features of the original Risen, withmultiple approaches to every challenge allowing players to shape the game world based on their own decisions. These choices will serve to unlock new paths, features and additional skills for the character. Together with a highly interactive environment and a full day/night-cycle affecting countless aspects of the game world, Risen 2 will be set in the most immersive RPG game world so far.

The eagerly-awaited successor of Risen will set sail worldwide for consoles and PC. For a first immersion into Risen 2: Dark Waters, three illustrations giving a first glimpse of the beautiful new game world can be found on the official game teaser site at www.risen2.com.
For those arguing the meaning of "target artworks", note they are now called "illustrations" in this release.
Eurogamer also contacted Deep Silver to expand on "consoles" and was told both X360 and PS3 versions will be released.
More information.

Pretty standard stuff for a press release. I'm not sure what they mean by "all-new technical foundation" though? New engine? They're not re-using the one in Risen (which worked out very well I might add)?

In all honesty I was hoping to see a tweaked version of the Risen engine, so they could spend all their time improving and expanding on the foundation they created in Risen.

In any case: The statement is a little vague, so a clarification would be nice.

Even if they were called photoshop sketches Dartagnan would not admit to being wrong :D

Deep Silver sent us a press release announcing Risen 2: Dark Waters.
For those arguing the meaning of "target artworks", note they are now called "illustrations" in this release.
i don't think this will be enough for some people, anyone know somebody over at PB?
we need them to be super precise at 'their' deifinition of 'illustration'.

I wonder what my prize will be once I admit I'm wrong - if that's the case :)

I'm expecting something really special.

you want a prize for being wrong? that's cocky...
however if you still think you're right we can bet on a copy of Risen 2 once it comes out. Steam or whatever ;)

you want a prize for being wrong? that's cocky…
however if you still think you're right we can bet on a copy of Risen 2 once it comes out. Steam or whatever ;)

No no, for being a hero and admitting it :)

Steam? I'd rather hang myself.

Maybe if it's out on gamersgate, direct2drive, or something ;)

No no, for being a hero and admitting it :)

Maybe if it's out on gamersgate, direct2drive, or something ;)
there's nothing heroic about admitting being wrong when there's an undisputed fact in front of you. or that's just my opinion.

any online service is fine by me! is it a deal? ;)

there's nothing heroic about admitting being wrong when there's an undisputed fact in front of you. or that's just my opinion.

any online service is fine by me! is it a deal? ;)

You're not getting the sarcasm, are you?

There is no undisputed fact.

If we're going to bet on this - we have to be absolutely certain what we're debating.

To make it simple - I'm going to claim they're using their game renderer for the base image. Whatever they do to it afterwards, I can't say.

You claim they're NOT using their game renderer - but they're instead using concept art or prerendered 3D using a 3D package like Blender/3D studio.

Correct?

You're not getting the sarcasm, are you?

There is no undisputed fact.

If we're going to bet on this - we have to be absolutely certain what we're debating.

To make it simple - I'm going to claim they're using their game renderer for the base image. Whatever they do to it afterwards, I can't say.

You claim they're NOT using their game renderer - but they're instead using concept art or prerendered 3D using a 3D package like Blender/3D studio.

Correct?
ok, it's fine, it's gone on long enough.
thought we were pretty clear on what we were thinking and about acquiring some feedback from people in contact with PB until the game comes out although it's unlikely so the bet doesn't make sense anw.
But you got all worked up. better we drop it.

ok, it's fine, it's gone on long enough.
thought we were pretty clear on what we were thinking and about acquiring some feedback from people in contact with PB until the game comes out although it's unlikely so the bet doesn't make sense anw.
But you got all worked up. better we drop it.

I'm all worked up?

Thanks for letting me know :)

dartagnan_dartagnan1.JPG

L'art pour l'art - is there a thing like "dispute for the dispute" ? ;)

Steam it is, then.

Sorry, but when I see an opportunity like that, I just can't resist. And honestly, I would have said the same fto any one, not just you! (And in general I'm not rude with people I don't like)

BTW: Several years ago, the National Norwegian Railway company (NSB) was about to hire a new big boss. The chairman of the board had very strong preferences regarding who to hire. In fact, he threatened to resign if "his man", was not chosen. Our major local newspaper BT (Bergens Tidende, not Berlingske..) claimed that this should not be regarded as a threat, but an opportunity.

Steam it is, then.

Sorry, but when I see an opportunity like that, I just can't resist. And honestly, I would have said the same fto any one, not just you! (And in general I'm not rude with people I don't like)

BTW: Several years ago, the National Norwegian Railway company (NSB) was about to hire a new big boss. The chairman of the board had very strong preferences regarding who to hire. In fact, he threatened to resign if "his man", was not chosen. Our major local newspaper BT (Bergens Tidende, not Berlingske..) claimed that this should not be regarded as a threat, but an opportunity.

Cute :)

My issue with Steam is simple - they overcharge RIDICULOUSLY - especially considering the kind of return they must get for their comparatively minimal effort.

They convert from dollars to euros on a 1:1 scale - meaning games are, on average, 50% more expensive than they should be. This would not have been so bad, if it wasn't for the fact that they're the only one of the popular online shops doing it. Obviously, they're greedy - but that's just too much for me to accept.

Beyond that, I hate the client - because I find it clumsy and I don't like that I have to deal with it, even in offline mode.

Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, Impulse, and others are MUCH better and even less intrusive.

Oh, and it doesn't help that I consider Valve vastly overrated as a developer, and the only genuinely good game they ever made - was not a tenth of the game System Shock was - and yet they reaped all the praise for doing what had been done years before, in an inferior way.

But I know people like to lay down and take it from behind, and I say go for it! :)

I buy from Steam occasionally, when games are on sale, and cheaper that I can get them elsewhere. Which happens.

Additionally, some games are not available here from other vendors. Example Dead Space 2. Neither Impulse nor Direct2Drive sell it to Norway. Probably as punishment because we've twice said no to join the EU. Steam does.

BTW: I won't buy it for the nearly 50 euros they are claiming - I can get it cheaper in retail stores here.

I buy from Steam occasionally, when games are on sale, and cheaper that I can get them elsewhere. Which happens.

Additionally, some games are not available here from other vendors. Example Dead Space 2. Neither Impulse nor Direct2Drive sell it to Norway. Probably as punishment because we've twice said no to join the EU. Steam does.

BTW: I won't buy it for the nearly 50 euros they are claiming - I can get it cheaper in retail stores here.

Have you tried the european versions of the sites?

Gamersgate.co.uk
Direct2drive.co.uk

You'd be surprised at what price things are sold sometimes :)

Oh, and if you're planning to buy Dead Space 2 - just keep in mind that the title refers to the creative brains of the developers :)

Back
Top Bottom