Hellgate London - Preview @ CVG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A hands-on look at Hellgate: London is up at CVG. Here's a taste:
If there was any doubt that Hellgate: London will be dark in both its setting and its offbeat humour, it's lost as soon as you begin playing. The search for the kid's missing appendage took me from Covent Garden tube station, through randomly generated tube tunnels and desolate London streets, on to a final encounter with a 15ft hulking mass of flesh.
More information.

I think this is the best preview I've run across so far. I once again feel that I'm going to like this game very much.

Of course,.... it should come as no surprise that this is a pure action-RPG. The option of an FPS-style perspective belies the sort of hardcore stuff on offer here - at no point is Hellgate: London a shooter, and beneath its 3D visuals beats the heart of a true isometric XP-chasing RPG.

I might quibble with the rpg label, but I do get what he's driving at. And I'm a complete sucker for stuff like this:

It's brilliant just to be able to fight the legions of the netherworld among derelict boats on the dried riverbed of the Thames, and being able to look up and see wrecked bridges high above.

...(the player character has) a very handy spell for transforming into a zombie. This skill left me free to wander the zombie-riddled streets in relative safety, Shaun Of The Dead-style. What's more, Simon Pegg fans will be pleased to hear of the subtle inclusion of a cricket bat melee weapon too, perfect for feebly batting away at zombie hordes
Well no need to quote the whole article! Suffice it to say I feel better about the game after reading it.;)

Well, I have the feeling that Hellgate London will be Diablo just in another kind of setting which is a good thing on the one hand, and bad thing on the other. It's good because, at least from my point of view, isometric 3D Action RPGs are a pain in the ass. They try to "convey" action from a perspective that just isn't dynamic... so I guess the whole 1st person (or at least chasing camera) thing will be an improvement. It's bad, because I fear that it will once again offer nothing more than endless fights with hordes of demons, zombies, you name it.
I'll certainly give it a try... it just looks too promising to just let it pass untouched, but I fear I'll be disappointed in the end. Which would be a shame since the setting sounds to be rather interesting.

I keep oscillating on this one.

Looks incredible! Oh, emphasizing MMO. Gameplay should be more than a clickfest! Oh, they seem to be emphasizing the FPS aspects.

I'll probably wait until lots of reviews are out and a few brave souls here have taken the plunge before making a final purchasing decision.

Well, I'm hoping they stick with what they know best and just make a good, solid, up to date Diablo type game. (I personally dislike calling these games action rpgs or rpgs, but it's hard to know what else to call them.) I do love traditional rpgs, but not every game has to be an rpg to be fun. I find the short-term, obvious goals and number crunching of character builds diverting without asking for a lot of mental effort. It's like keeping your hands busy so your mind can roam at will.

I don't expect a story oriented rpg with a scripted dialogue system or memorable NPC's. I think that would be a prescription for disappointment. I am just hoping they make enough of a single player action killfest to keep me off the streets for a week or two. :)

Back
Top Bottom