M&M: Heroes VI - Review @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN has reviewed Heroes VI, awarding a score of 8/10 despite some limitations with late-game combat. An excerpt about general play:
Heroes VI has two different turn-based gameplay components. Your hero, whom you can customize with loot and level up in an RPG manner, moves around a campaign map each turn. With an army in tow, you direct them towards enemy forces and use them to gather loot and other special items. You then use collected items and resources from conquered lands to grow your economy, which is important for building up cities and further expanding your lands. A good deal of strategy occurs during these sections, because your hero has limited movement. I found myself having to make careful decisions about which enemies to attack, which resources to pursue and what items to go after. You have to plan out moves several turns ahead, and adjust your strategy as the enemy reacts to your movements.
More information.

Bullshit, because of this review here, I'm never gonna play another HOMM game

Bullshit, because of this review here, I'm never gonna play another HOMM game

Indeed a very non-productive post.

Now moving on to the review I think that 8/10 is well deserved. The first thing that I noticed was the fact that everything runs smoother than in H5. The campaigns seems interesting though I guess most of the people play the series for custom maps. It does need a few more factions and tweaks but overall it's better than H5 was at release. I can't wait for the RMG to come. I keep reading that ppl are not satisfied with the balance of castels but this is an ancient dispute. I keep hearing the "OMG NECRO IS OP!!!" line ever since H3...

The game is still a mess that should of been polished more. As for more factions there coming but you will have to buy them. Kind of reminds me of Disciples 3 you have to buy the expansion to add the other factions.

Ubisofts implantation of drm puts a damper on the game also. Its more of a 6.5/10 for me.

The game is still a mess that should of been polished more. As for more factions there coming but you will have to buy them. Kind of reminds me of Disciples 3 you have to buy the expansion to add the other factions.

Ubisofts implantation of drm puts a damper on the game also. Its more of a 6.5/10 for me.

I have to agree almost completely with you on this one.

Yeah Conflux implementation (with-holding of basic features from previous heroes games for their "fully featured" offline-mode), bugs (unit abilities, spells, interface options, and campaign scenario scripting errors), graphical glitches (missing textures/objects, lack of anti-aliasing even in cut-scenes, bizarre drawing lag), as well as issues with the reliability of their online services (dynasty weapons vanishing, connectivity/consistency issues, synching problems, etc.). These things all make this game a 6.5 or so for me as well in the game's current state.

If all of the technical faults were fixed and the Conflux integration remained as is, I could accept the game getting an 8.5 or even a 9.0 out of 10 as long as the inconsistent experience depending on ISP and Conflux-side reliability were mentioned as a caveat. The review fails to touch on the largest faults in the game and is bereft of detail in general. Many relatively positive reviews of the game have made significant mention of these faults - though this one seems to have failed to take due note of them. It seems shallow and insufficient to the point where the author's claim of playing the game as much as he has seems dubious at best.

The DRM is annoying me greatly, but the game itself is worth a 7 or 8 out of 10. It's a lot of fun.

The DRM really is painful though, causes all sorts of bugs, crashes and other glitches.

7 or 8 out of 10 from me as well. The DRM is a separate matter, but it is indeed unnecessary. I'm not really bothered by it, personally, but I don't see any gain whatsoever for the consumer.

The game looks good and performs well. Some of the new ideas are nice, and I'm especially fond of the hero development system and the intricacy of the new unit abilities.

I'm not fond of the streamlining of the city building aspect, and I would much rather have them expand on it instead. A Heroes VI with more strategy involved, especially with things like technology research and choice-based city builds/design would have been fantastic.

The drm is for the publisher to prevent piracy. I hate the auto combat in this, you are destined to lose more than you should always in auto combat. :(

Back
Top Bottom