The Walking Dead season premiere tonight

Too much stupidity.

The governor psycho walks right into a bunch of armed military dudes and starts shooting with a handgun? It's not like they might shoot back, right?

The angry hidden black dude goes to incredible lengths to lure an army of zombies to get at the main group so he can take over? Ehm, what does he intend to do with the zombies afterwards with only 2-3 people left? That's a very smart plan.

Lori insists on a fatal c-section because???? They walk right out with the baby afterwards. It's impossible to move for Lori and she must die? What a bullshit overly dramatic turn of events.

Still, I'm glad we got rid of her - so there's that.

Indeed.

We are just supposed to take face value that bunch of trained soldiers are too shocked not to fight back or even take cover.

I don't know why i'm following this series really. Almost every characters acts irrationally. Like you said, what on earth was the hidden convict going to do with an empty prison full of zombies?

Or why aren't the characters wearing protective gear/clothing against zombie bites? IF one bite is enough to turn you (unless the biten limb can be hacked off), any normal person would likely try to cover naked skin as much as possible to avoid such outcome.

Besides shouldn't it be enought to turn a person into zombie if zombie blood gets into one's mouth or eyes while fighting close range?

Where's the fun and tension in a show where characters always act rationally and with cold and calculated precision? :) Sounds like a recipe for boredom to me!

No, humans aren't computers. We don't always make the most reasoned of choices even if we like to think we do. Watching the show with a survivalist mindset can surely only lead to futility and frustration in the face of such characters. :)

That said, I do think the chaos that descended upon the prison in the last episode was a bit much. You'd have thought they'd be a bit more organised by now. I'll admit I got a shock by the conclusion; but I was glad that the writers tried to reinforce the gravity of the overall scenario instead of turning the show into a straight shoot and hack 'em up fest.

I don't think anyone is asking for "always rational" and cold people. I'd just like something resembling plausible behavior given the extreme circumstances - which I'm most certainly not getting.

However, we all value such things differently :)

Personally, I'm much more affected by believable scenarios that I can fully immerse myself in. It makes it that much more effective - and it wouldn't need to be about showing all the gore you possibly can every 60 seconds.

About those particular scenes….

I could be wrong, but I thought it was pretty obvious that they had their guys in sniper positions and ready to fire as soon as the The Governor did. When bullets suddenly start raining on you from different directions, I don't find it implausible that there could be a moment of uncertainty, and that's all they needed.

What makes you think the angry hidden black dude was smart? :)

In regards to the C-section, I thought it was implied that Lorie was in too much pain to continue. Unless you're talking about after the C-section, in which she obviously lost too much blood. But seriously… why look a gift horse in the mouth? :)

I could be wrong, but I thought it was pretty obvious that they had their guys in sniper positions and ready to fire as soon as the The Governor did. When bullets suddenly start raining on you from different directions, I don't find it implausible that there could be a moment of uncertainty, and that's all they needed.

Yeah, I know they had an ambush position. But anyone not strictly suicidal would have subtly signalled for the ambush to start - and most certainly wouldn't pull a handgun and fire a single shot into a crowd of armed soldiers facing him. Way too risky. Well, at least that's my opinion.

What makes you think the angry hidden black dude was smart? :)

That's the thing. Unless I missed something, they show him executing an elaborate plan where he picks up animal carcasses and stealthily lures zombies into their cell block.

Then he ends up facing an army of zombies - hoping they somehow get the others but not himself? That's not just stupid - that's suicidal.

In regards to the C-section, I thought it was implied that Lorie was in too much pain to continue. Unless you're talking about after the C-section, in which she obviously lost too much blood. But seriously… why look a gift horse in the mouth? :)

Hehe, yeah , I know what you mean. I should just be thankful. Anyway, I think that scene felt off in several ways - and it seemed she just gave up immediately. I'd have had the others scout by the door - and listening for the way to be clear - or at least have tried to hold out for a little while until help could arrive.

Still, it's just a TV show - and the extreme focus on gore tells me I'm not really the target audience. I'm much more into psychological horror and less extreme scenarios. That whole Woodbury town is just another example of going too far with an idea. I mean, ok, we don't know what would happen under these conditions - but that felt like an episode from Star Trek more than anything.

Yeah, I know they had an ambush position. But anyone not strictly suicidal would have subtly signalled for the ambush to start - and most certainly wouldn't pull a handgun and fire a single shot into a crowd of armed soldiers facing him. Way too risky. Well, at least that's my opinion.

But he's The Governor!

That's the thing. Unless I missed something, they show him executing an elaborate plan where he picks up animal carcasses and stealthily lures zombies into their cell block.

I didn't see anything particularly elaborate about his plan. It's obvious the walkers go after any kind of fresh meat, and he simply used that to bring them into the prison. He didn't seem like the type of guy that would think much further ahead than that.

I think a better question is how did he catch and kill a deer with an axe. :)

Still, it's just a TV show - and the extreme focus on gore tells me I'm not really the target audience. I'm much more into psychological horror and less extreme scenarios. That whole Woodbury town is just another example of going too far with an idea. I mean, ok, we don't know what would happen under these conditions - but that felt like an episode from Star Trek more than anything.

In fairness, it's a show about corpses rising from the dead and eating people. I'm not sure how less extreme you were expecting it to be.

In fairness, it's a show about corpses rising from the dead and eating people. I'm not sure how less extreme you were expecting it to be.

I didn't really have any expectations at all. I wasn't familiar with the source material. I'm just watching the show - and I was quite enthusiastic at first. It was always gory - but I found the first season much more interesting. Probably because I'm not actually a zombie fan and I didn't know what to expect.

Personally, I think you can get a MUCH more significant reaction from the audience by playing on psychology and using gore sparingly when appropriate. That way, it will have much more impact. The more gore they show, the less affected you get - until you just don't really react to it. Kinda like what seems to happen to the characters in the show - though I doubt that's what they're going for with the audience.

But that's just my take on it. I'm obviously not their intended audience - and I'm probably not going to watch it for much longer. I find the writing quite bad and the characters increasingly pointless and dull. I'm guessing they're staying loyal to the source material with the gore? Probably something the fans really want - and I wouldn't want to stand in the way of that.

Thankfully, I have shows like Dexter and Breaking Bad to keep me entertained :)

That said, I think there's a lot of potential in a zombie show with the emphasis on realism and psychological horror. I realise that's not the tradition, but I think it would be really interesting.

Thankfully, I have shows like Dexter and Breaking Bad to keep me entertained

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Breaking Bad. I've never seen Dexter, but Breaking Bad is, imo, one of the best TV dramas ever written.

I'm still lowbrow enough to enjoy TWD though. :)

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Breaking Bad. I've never seen Dexter, but Breaking Bad is, imo, one of the best TV dramas ever written.

I'm still lowbrow enough to enjoy TWD though. :)

You need to watch Dexter - trust me :)

When you do, promise me you'll last until Season 4 is over. That's THE season.

This season is a great one. I enjoyed every episode, leaving the disappointment i felt for the 2 season.
Yes, there are many gaps in the story, and many non logical behaviours when it comes to survival but, to be honest, i expect that. You need the story to unfold somehow.

And yea, breaking bad is the best series ever for me.

Another excellent episode last night. I like how they're slowly revealing more about The Governor each week, and the scene with Rick and the bloated zombie was truly uncomfortable to watch.

Yeah, the last couple of episodes have been better. I liked how they handled that "telephone" breakdown of Rick. A really unsettling way to demonstrate his mental state.

I won't go into the super stupidity of the tactical handling of certain situations involving a Katana - but I'm used to that by now :)

i think it's kinda funny how zombies just seem to *appear* out of nowhere (in the forest in the latest episode for example) and ambush them time and time again. Back in the beginning of season II it was downright hilarious, they have a lookout posted and still suddenly a horde of stealthy ninja zombies just suddenly pop in on top of them.

Kinda reminds me of the Monty Python bit where Lancelot charges the castle to save the "princess". Running...running...running...running...and there he is!

Seem to be staying about a week or two behind on episodes of all the shows I'm following. Not sure why. With a little luck, I'll do some catching up over the holiday weekend.

stupid zombie pop-ins and other shenanigans aside, it's still a good show and really the only running program that I pay attention to.

One thing that i have to hand them - the zombie quota has been bumped up quite significantly. Every episode is making sure that the zombie threat is not just an afterthought on the human drama. There has been some quality human vs zombie action going on all the time, and the special effects for the zombie makeup and gore have been nothing short of spectacular.

If i can at least get that, it's half the battle (if not more!)

In my opinion: Glen is the next to shuffle off this mortal coil. We need to start a death pool.

But really, what is "mortality" in the zombie apocalypse after all? A discussion for another time.
Also - I dont know about you guys, but I think Merle is fuckin great. I love insane, ruthless characters. My wife hates him tho ='.'=

Tonight's gonna be intense, lots on the line. Be there or be square bros

Back
Top Bottom