Steam OS

OpenGL is a good example.

Not sure Steam enters the PC video games market to be as succesful as OpenGL.
Steam might look in one another direction. Another costy direction.

An article in an IT magazine (the German "c't") says that there will be "developer days" for the "Steam Box" in January. And the article literally says that the "press explicitely isn't wanted."

A Beta was released today. Seems to be based on Debian and include a Desktop mode so it can be used as a proper computer without much hassle.
steamos-gnome-desktop.jpg

note: this is just the desktop mode not the default Steam Big Picture mode.

Most interesting bit from their FAQ for me:
Q: Can I run Microsoft Windows games and applications on SteamOS?
No, SteamOS is based on Debian GNU/Linux and is not compatibile with Microsoft Windows games and applications. However, SteamOS will soon support seamlessly streaming your games from your Windows computer; watch this page for more information about the In-Home Streaming Beta.

At least for now, there is no way to dual-boot SteamOS or install it on a second hard drive.

Doesn't that statement say that you can't run windows games within Steam OS (which is obvious, as it's Linux). It doesn't say anything about dual booting. You certainly can dual boot windows and Debian. Or have they done something to Steam OS to specifically prevent this? I'd be surprised and disappointed if so.

Doesn't that statement say that you can't run windows games within Steam OS (which is obvious, as it's Linux). It doesn't say anything about dual booting. You certainly can dual boot windows and Debian. Or have they done something to Steam OS to specifically prevent this? I'd be surprised and disappointed if so.
That's the current way the installer works. No clue if that's the plan for the final release. There are some dual-booting guides around already so even at this point it seems avoidable.

Ah ok. I think they originally stated that the final Steam boxes will be dual bootable, if people so desired. They just won't ship with Windows.

However, SteamOS will soon support seamlessly streaming your games from your Windows computer;

Wasn't OnLive meant to be a similar thing ?

However, streaming is pushing the envelope in terms of DRM even further : Games will become Services - no offline gaming at all, because Streaming per se means = Online …

The full control lies completely on the servers … And on those who control the servers … Be is businessmen or criminals : Who controls them holds the power …

Even worse : The Control also holds the power over the question : "What are we allowed to play ?" => The Customer is sat down into an defensive situation.
The customer isn't allowed anymore to have any form of free will - the customer is only allowed to play what the "Service Providers" believe should be played and playable …

If an Playing Service Provider is biased, this could even mean the complete eradication of whole game genres …

Playing Service Provider … This word alone sounds so absolutely horrible …

Thank God board games can still be bought and owned !

@Arik. It's streaming from your home PC to your home Steam box. So you don't need to be online (I.e., have an internet connection). It's different to OnLive, where you're streaming from a remote server.

Just to confirm what mogwins said, relevant Q&A bit on the feature:
Q: Is this like other game streaming services I've heard about?
A: No, you are in complete control over the hardware on both ends and the network between them. There is no data center, no subscription, and it's completely free!

Seems to be becoming available to some people already

Bj992XL.jpg

Z0uxcjs.jpg

So basically: Remote Desktop that supports games.

At the moment there aren't any noteworthy advantages over usual Linux. The distro-choice hurdle is removed and the binary drivers from Nvidia (and soon AMD) come preinstalled so if any newbies wanted to mess around it'd be easier but apart from that it's mostly some patches to the kernel and a compositor which would just make the integration between the lower system and steam a bit tighter.

The important bit about it, is that it not out to challenge either desktop Windows or Linux. It's trying to be console built with PC parts. I've read an analogy about it trying to do what Android did for mobile phones and I think it works.

So the point is not to be an OS, but rather to be a way from which people play games from ?
Instead of downloading games from GOG, Gamersgate or Steam, you end up doing everything from Steam and playing directly from the OS ?

Pretty much. They saw Microsoft deciding to create a walled garden and are trying to have their own, as much as that's possible using FLOSS, to promote their platform.

Afaik Steam has some software as well so the platform itself, even looking past Linux, can be more flexible than what the other consoles provide.

The point, ultimately, is to be a free gaming OS. But this is an incredibly early beta that Valve have made available, but are discouraging all but the foolhardy from trying at this stage.

So the point is not to be an OS, but rather to be a way from which people play games from ?
Instead of downloading games from GOG, Gamersgate or Steam, you end up doing everything from Steam and playing directly from the OS ?

Well obviously they hope you chose Steam first amongst your options and would see it as the default. Nothing to stop you from buying linux compatable games from Desura, Gamersgate or any other source you can find.

Gamersgate Linux Games
Desura Linux Games (Linux client currently in beta)

Also Amazon and GoG sell a large number of direct download games that do have native linux versions, they just don't sell those versions. In fact most of their games which already come with a copy of dosbox could be expected to work likely as easily and well as they do on new versions of windows even though they don't have native linux versions.

Not much stopping either of them from jumping in and giving Steam some decent competition i the linux games market, except it maybe not being worth it from a cost/benefit standpoint to resign reseller agreements and create linux installers/downlaoders. Interestingly, that analysis would change if there were large numbers of users running SteamOS out there. In a way SteamOS's success would be likely to bring more robust competition in at least the sale and in part distribution of games to linux users by making it a more attractive market segment for existing potential competitors to enter into.

Back
Top Bottom