Skyrim - Miscellaneous Roundup

I used to use 'feather' to increase my carrying capacity - worked very well. But for some unknown reason they left it out of alteration this time. High level alteration allowed a feather of around 300 or so which was very useful (many a suite of high-end armour was carted to a shop like that!). Non magic uses could get scrolls/potions. 'Stamina/strength' potions are all we have now.

There's also brawn enchantments for armor.

Yes, I know you can use potions and enchanting to recover some lost spell effects - but that forces you to spent effort/perks on enchanting and/or alchemy, a choice which was not forced on your before. Previously the spells were legitimate entries in the relevant school - now those schools look quite thin and definitely less interesting. I know they had to remove disintegrate armor etc (since they killed armour wear and tear), but I don't see why they messed with other stuff. Unless they plan to add things back in DLC.

If the game is good, weight or carrying capacity doesn't mean a damn thing to me. I'll just accept it as a mechanic of the game, and when good rpg's are so damn rare, it's not something I'm going to focus on. These days, it's just so darn rare to get a decent rpg that isn't dumbed down for the masses, and actually presents a challenge!

-Carn

If the game is good, weight or carrying capacity doesn't mean a damn thing to me. I'll just accept it as a mechanic of the game, and when good rpg's are so damn rare, it's not something I'm going to focus on. These days, it's just so darn rare to get a decent rpg that isn't dumbed down for the masses, and actually presents a challenge!

-Carn

I agree - weight limits must be there. My post above refers to the removal of spells which worked perfectly and making them potion or enchantment effects only. I think they also removed all the stat boosting spells from restoration (which is where I would have moved 'feather': fortify stamina..only, because stamina is now strength too, you have a problem….feather did not bolster strength, so it was a very specific utility spell => variation!) - so its pretty much ward and healing now. And so on. From that perspective, my choices as a mage have been limited, which is not a good thing in my book.

What I like about weight limits is when it makes you manage your equipment in advance, which is not the same thing as managing your loot. Having to figure how many and what kind of potions you should carry, scrolls,weapons, armor and other miscellaneous utility items like pickaxes, soul gems etc when you're preparing for a trip is fun.

Sorting the junk you just intend to sell because you've hit the carrying limit in the middle of a dungeon however is dull and you should be able to get it over with as quickly as possible, in these games a Value/Weight stat or tab would have been a great useability feature.

And this is why I calculate!

Petty Soul Gem:
Weight: 0,1
Value: 10
Ratio: 1:100

Ebony Armor:
Weight: 27
Value: 450
Ratio: 16,67

Petty Soul Gems are worth roughly 6 times more than the armor in your example, which means you'd make six times more money by hoarding Petty Soul Gems than armors.

I generally don't pick up anything below 1:10 in ratio, so the armor in the example is still good enough to be sold. All types of gems are extremely valuable though, with ratios like 100-500, which is pretty crazy compared to armor and weapons. Armor generally has better ratio than weapons, unless the weapon is enchanted, so I stay away from most weapons unless they are of very high quality.

Yes, I'm aware of the math, and that works out in favor of my argument. My point is that regardless of weight-gold ratio equations, it takes a lot of hoarding to make gathering petty soul gems (or any low value item, regardless of how little they weigh and pound for gold value) worth the hassle when compared with taking only higher value items, and in my opinion, it's over-thinking the mechanic to come to the realization that petty soul gems are "worth more" than a suit of ebony armor just because of a weight-gold ratio (If anything, a "time and effort" section needs to be added to the weight-gold equation - then the fast and easy process of picking up a single piece of ebony armor would clearly be a higher priority than the long process of gathering many petty soul gems ;)). Using my "quick-look" method, I probably make more money overall and faster than a "weight-gold ratio" hoarder, assuming that console cheats to extend the carry limit are not involved.

Now, don't you think it's very unfair that someone who creates much restrictive titles, criticizes another title with a much less restrictive nature?
I completely agree with you. Spiderweb games have a long way to go in the convenience department themselves.

Yes, I know you can use potions and enchanting to recover some lost spell effects - but that forces you to spent effort/perks on enchanting and/or alchemy, a choice which was not forced on your before. .

You can enchant it with base skill. If you didn't want to use any other enchanting, you could keep one ring, amulet, and pair of boots of brawn and just throw them on only when needed. You do not need to invest anything into this at all in lieu of someplace else you would have preferred. The feather spell as always one of those spells I only ever learned so I place it on something as an enchantment anyways. I don't think they plan to add it back in.

Based on the spell effects present in the complete list (including NPC only spells and shouts) and the way the game actually distinguishes between sources of magical effects (power, shout, spell, enchantment, blessing, birth stone, alchemy) it will be trivial to mod new spells into the game that use any of those spell effects. IT looks like shape-changing and polymorphing type spells will also actually be fairly easy to do, in addition to creating spells with any effect currently exclusive to other sources.

Yes, I'm aware of the math, and that works out in favor of my argument. My point is that regardless of weight-gold ratio equations, it takes a lot of hoarding to make gathering petty soul gems (or any low value item, regardless of how little they weigh and pound for gold value) worth the hassle when compared with taking only higher value items, and in my opinion, it's over-thinking the mechanic to come to the realization that petty soul gems are "worth more" than a suit of ebony armor just because of a weight-gold ratio (If anything, a "time and effort" section needs to be added to the weight-gold equation - then the fast and easy process of picking up a single piece of ebony armor would clearly be a higher priority than the long process of gathering many petty soul gems ;)). Using my "quick-look" method, I probably make more money overall and faster than a "weight-gold ratio" hoarder, assuming that console cheats to extend the carry limit are not involved.

The point is to increase the overall amount of loot/value carried out of each dungeon, as travel time is far more significant than looting time. Inventory should be cleared once per dungeon. It's possible to make piles of money really fast in Skyrim simply by maximizing every trip to the vendors. My latest character is a good example: After about 70 hours playing time, the in-game "Gold Found" stat under General Stats shows 316.009 gold. That's without any type of cheating or cheesy money making schemes.

Edit:
Just went through my characters to check how gold I've made.
Total time spent: 180 hours according to Steam.
Total gold found: 639.457

Not bad considering only the character mentioned above actually completed Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood, where there's a lot of money to be made.

Last edited:
On this map, it´s the third cave left from the troll, it´s near one of those NotR-related stone circles.QUOTE]

Thanks DeepO - I checked out the cave... looks like I had explored it. I didn't make the connection at the time that the winch turned because I had molerat fat in my inventory. But thanks for pointing it out - I learned something new today!

Back
Top Bottom