Legend of Grimrock - Tunnel Ogre Concept Art

At least it doesn't look identical to a troll in a major motion picture;)

Pretty good art. Interface etc. also look nice.

ed: former Remedy/Futuremark folks isn't what I normally associate with indie :)

Last edited:
"Don't worry guys I have stock pictures of elephants and crocodiles and crap and I got from this site and I can just use those for textures." taken to a whole new level.

Hey, somehow missed that.

Looks good. Definetely brings the EOB nostalgia out.

Interested.

PS: Otoh seems like rpg-lite (with an emphasis on the lite) so make that mildly interested.

They have great art, there's no denying that. I hope they use the potential success of this title to do a meaty game - rather than what seems like a limited throwback to ancient times.

Likely not, as there's too much money in these games - these days.

They have great art, there's no denying that. I hope they use the potential success of this title to do a meaty game - rather than what seems like a limited throwback to ancient times.

Likely not, as there's too much money in these games - these days.

Well they all have graphics-related backgrounds it seems - graphics programming, animators, 3D artist... We'll see how they'll grow into being designers...
http://www.grimrock.net/2011/07/14/the-almost-human-team/#more-158

Hmm, doesn't bode well for the mechanics/gameplay.

I think we agreed that there is no way you can draw a conclusion from that information, didn't we? :S

I think we agreed that there is no way you can draw a conclusion from that information, didn't we? :S

You need to look up "doesn't bode well…" and then the word "conclusion".

You will find that one is about feeling certain and the other is not.

Also, I don't seem to recall agreeing about any such thing.

This is one of those rare occasions when a 3D model is better than the original artwork. While the 2D artwork is amateurish and rough, the 3D model is both beautiful and detailed. It's even more detailed than the original artwork.

That's probably because these guys are 3d-artist rather than concept artists ?

I can't take this game seriously. Every time I see the title, I think of this guy:

Grimlock.jpg

Hail Grimlock, strongest of autobots!

Me no boozo, me KING!

The concept of this ogre is strange. Horns of a ram, a cow-like nose, and elephant legs. It doesn't fit together IMHO.
That being said, I am mostly disappointed that it won't be like "Ultima Underworld".

Yep - it's a career progression nowadays. You graduate from the big studios to go indie. I wrote an article about it at The Escapist once...

It's hardly universal, but it's cool to see it happen.

And this means they must hire a concept artist.

Um, why? Obviously their 3D artist got the mood of the concept (which really isn't as bad as some people here think) and could make something even better out of it - good for the 3D artist! Why does she/he need a better concept art(ist)?

Also, not every concept art is meant for promotion. In fact, it wouldn't be that much cost-effective if every concept art (which was meant for just setting the mood or showing the proportions of a character) would be a finely crafted piece of art.
Especially if you're an indie developer.

Back
Top Bottom