NWN2 - Peek #2 @ RPG Vault

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPG Vault's latest NWN2 Peek visits "Old Owl Well, the only source of water along part of a major trade route":

This well is the only source of water for three days in any direction in the Sword Mountains, and has been a critical stop for merchants who trade along the east / west route between Yartar and Neverwinter City. No one has ever been able to discover the seemingly endless source of water that this well provides, encouraging rumors that its origins were less than natural.
Seven new screens accompany the article.
More information

Wow things have really improved since E3. At E3 combatants were just standing around looking rigid during combat. Not anymore! ;)

Somehow I missed this August IGN video interview. Warning though - there are some spoilers in that interview - I ended up turning off the volume and just watching. Looks fantastic.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/674/674385/vids_1.html

This is shaping up very nicely - I have high hopes ...

Yeah so do I. The state of Gothic 3 is pretty depressing. Hopefully PB can still address its issues - but if not NWN2 looks like it will get all my time.

Todd, that video interview with Chris is very hard to watch because Chris keeps his eyes wide open and never blinks. My eyes start watering just from watching him.

Yeah so do I. The state of Gothic 3 is pretty depressing. Hopefully PB can still address its issues - but if not NWN2 looks like it will get all my time.

I tried the original gothic, but something just didnt sit well with me in that game. Since then didnt even bother with gothic 2, and have little to no inclination to try the third installment. With that said I sure hope NWN2 can be as great a game as the first but, and this is a minor quibble, these guys just... well they dont suck per se. But they dont have the talent that Bioware does. KOTOR was an awesome game and KOTOR2 was... well... alright. Nothing special, not nearly as good as the first one. I just hope they dont repeat themselves with NWN2.

Wow ... he never actually fully blinks during that whole time ...

I'm not depressed about Gothic 3 ... because I think it will be more improved by the time we see it.

But NWN 2 I had some apprehensions about, but they have been largely erased - I am pretty enthusiastic. And unlike many, the OC was what got me into RPG's.

To tell the truth, I had been pretty much disinterested in NWN2 until about yesterday afternoon, 'cause I didn't fancy the first part at all. It was okay, but nothing exhilarating for me. Then yesterday I saw some new info and screens, and I've been eagerly anticipating this title ever since plus I'm looking forward to playing some D&D again :)

I sure hope NWN2 can be as great a game as the first but, and this is a minor quibble, these guys just... well they dont suck per se. But they dont have the talent that Bioware does. KOTOR was an awesome game and KOTOR2 was... well... alright. Nothing special, not nearly as good as the first one. I just hope they dont repeat themselves with NWN2.

The main problem with KotOR2 was that it was released in an unfinished state, with the ending pretty much cut off. I thought it was nevertheless as good as the first one, with maybe the 'last jedi' stuff being a bit too thick.
And I'm confident NWN2 will be superior to the original game -- I mean the single player campaign. The 'influence' system Obsidian is implementing seems to me a good compromise between having somewhat independent NPCs and user-control over their actions and development.

There has been a decided effort to focus on the OC. In fact, multiplayer in the OC will likely be almost unplayable.

Thanks to focus groups, the idea of focussing on multiplayer as the main way to play a CRPG is virtually dead.

Also, henchmen have become "comapnions" and they will act more along the line of KotOR where you can "possess" anyone at any time.

Also, like KotOR your companions, or even your character, will merely become incapacitated and not actually die as long as there is one player in party left alive.

Josh Sawyer apologizes for this last fact as it was design decision from before he came on board and it was too late to change it.

Josh also cancelled rideable horses in order to make the release date

Nice screenshots. I've somewhat followed this game, and like a lot of what I've seen but I am wondering--what is the player chr starting level?
The last NWN expansion had you starting at level thirty, which to me is like buying pre-faded, pre-torn blue jeans

NWN 2 isn't an expansion, magerette. It's a fully new game, incompatible with all the stuff that came before. It starts at level 1. It doesn't even offer the ability to gain more than 20 levels. It will be a long time before you see any epic-level characters in NWN 2.

This is the game I've been waiting on as well. I love the combat in ToEE, but it lacks the fun of the NWN games. I've never played any of the NWN modules, so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears:p

I did an article on the Premium modules for GamerDad that I've updated and it should be posted in the next week or so.

Personally, I recommend the cancelled 'Darkness over Daggerford' module - world map with click to travel and occasional encounters, your own stronghold ... plus great story and roleplaying

@aboyd
Thanks--I did realize its not an expansion but there seemed to be lots of focus on the 'awesome neverending adventure' stuff--am very happy to hear of the 20 level limit--the first twenty are the most fun in 3.5 I think--not a power gamer myself :> plus it gives Obsidian lots of room for follow up titles, which can only be good

Back
Top Bottom