NWN - Are Bloody Long @ Destructoid

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Destructoid has a blog entry titled Neverwinter Nights Are Bloody Long, with the author reminiscing about his NWN playing days:
Where once I reveled in my solo adventures, they ended up seeming hollow compared to the fun I got up to with my fellow nerdy roleplayers. I ended up making several friends there and went on to help one of them with a new guild which they'd been allowed to create. The world was split up into a couple of different mods due to it's size and our guild was on the much quieter mod. The server population wasn't nearly as high so the Dungeon Masters didn't pay as much attention to it. So instead of us waiting around for a DM to create some quest for us to embark upon, like players did in so many of the persistent worlds I went on to visit, we were left up to our own inventiveness. We typed out lore for our guild until the blisters on our fingers looked oddly like orcs, together we crafted centuries of fictional history, not just for the guild but for the whole continent, in a constant collaborative brain storm. Because there were so few of us on this particular mod we became a tight knit group. Yes, there was drama and there was certainly a lot of differences of opinion, but in the end any bullshit was rapidly forgotten as we got stuck into the next adventure.
More information.

Some of my fondest gaming memories come from NWN1. The community at it's height was fantastic, I really miss it.

I wish they hadn't changed the way mods worked in NWN2.

I've never really been into multiplayer when it comes to crpgs, but I really wish I had given it a try for NWN.

I've never really been into multiplayer when it comes to crpgs, but I really wish I had given it a try for NWN.

Yeah, I played it all solo and sometimes regret that. Still, in the many times I have tried multiplayer across a number of genres it has always annoyed me.

NWN was pretty much the perfect CRPG for the cooperative experience, because everything was presented in a way that didn't interrupt the flow of the game. You were free to study dialogue/interaction at any point - and your actions wouldn't "interrupt" your party like in most other games of a similar nature.

It was a very nice blend of hack/slash action and a relatively deep CRPG, complete with intricate mechanics, interesting stories, traps, puzzles, and things of that nature.

On top, was an endless array of quality user-created modules.

I'm still plenty pissed that Obsidian downplayed MP so much for the sequel.

Im still playing nwn 1+2 it has been installed on my system for years. The modding comminty is still active. I had more fun playing modules from fams than the original games. Its a shame dragon Age module community is almot nil mostly cosmetic changes.

Its a shame dragon Age module community is almot nil mostly cosmetic changes.
Are there any nude mods for NWNs? (J/K)
People today just care about those.
Now seriously, what mods are recommended for NWN 1?

I think we hasd lists of Mods in several threads here.
You could use the search function.
I think I remember several Mods being listed here ? : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816

======

hi.

at
http://nwvault.ign.com/
are all the 3000+ mods and persistant worlds for neverwinter 1 and 2.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=3799
TORTURED HEARTS I. v2.12
Author SubBassman
Submitted / Updated 06-21-2004 / 06-22-2010
Category Various Settings
Expansions Requires Both Expansions (SoU & HotU)
Setting Imaginary area of Faerun
Gameplay Length 60 - 100+
9.81 on review.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=5347
TORTURED HEARTS II. v1.2
Author Zoltán Gonda & Jim Grimsley
Submitted / Updated 02-24-2007 / 05-09-2011
Category Epic
Expansions Requires All Expansions (SoU & HotU & CEP)
Setting Imaginary area of Faerun
Gameplay Length 100-150 hours actually
9.93 on review, out of 10.

[up to 250 hours, here, sports fans, two of some of the best mods made]

[someone wrote, "neverwinter is a mod making utility, and it ships with a demo mod, the full mod, called "neverwinter nights 1"!]

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=3938
Tales of Celts
Author Rome
Submitted / Updated 02-14-2003 / 12-03-2006
Category Final Version
Expansions Requires HotU & CEP
Setting Celtia : Historical fantasy location.
Gameplay Length Endless or brief depending on style of play. When you die the story is just begining!
[a whole alternate celtic universe!!]

plus thousands more plus you can add CEP, hundreads of megs of user content all in one package!

you could die of old age first before you finish!

as of may 12th, I see that there are about 30 NEW MODS listed! each one of these, and the other 3000+ mods, are reviewed, on their mod page, with user comments.

happy RPG-ing!

freestone

I can't think of any game with better value than NWN, considering all the mods and online play. There are still tons of community created modules and different character classes in the PRC on my list to try out. It'll probably never happen… ;)

Back
Top Bottom