Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Officially Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jeff Vogel has officially announced Avernum: Escape from the Pit, a "ground up re-write" of their "most popular and best-selling series" due late this year (for Mac - PC and iPad to follow). No doubt many will rue the repetition but fans will note the return of the "overworld" map exploration and new avatar art. Head to the new sub-site for a description and screens.
There's also a FAQ and Jeff discusses the decision to do this game in a new blog post, including news that the price will be $20 and existing owners of Exile/Avernum 1 will get a discount. Here's a snip from the FAQ on game system changes:
Will the Game System Be the Same?
No. The game system has been heavily revised. It's a mix of Avernum 6 and Avadon: The Black Fortress. It is still entirely skill-based and most of the skills are the same. However, the way you train has changed. Instead of saving up skill points, each level you get to increase two skills. You will make the same number of choices to shape your character, but you will be making more of them later in the game and fewer of them earlier. We are also taking pains to make it much more difficult to create a party that is too weak to progress through the game.
The Traits system has been massively reworked. Instead of picking two traits at the beginning of the game, you can select one new beneficial trait every two levels. A lot of these traits give simple bonuses, while others (like Backstab and Swordmage) can dramatically change the way you play the game.
More information.

Decent character portraits! Hurrah!

I've played both Exile & Avernum, but I'll still pick this up I think. Its a great setting.

Decent character portraits! Hurrah!

I've played both Exile & Avernum, but I'll still pick this up I think. Its a great setting.

And I think with everything re-filtered through all of the developments since the last time 'round it should be well worth it.

And he at least is dealing with the price stuff we spent so much time talking about ... though it means PC/Mac gamers will only pay a 100% premium rather than 150% ...

Hmm....so this is now the second time he's rewritten the exact same game. I've always complained about his lack of originality (though Avadon was better in that regard) but this is a bit ridiculous even for him.

Still I'll probably end up getting it anyway. Even if the stories, monsters and areas in his games all seem to be rehashed from game to game, his game mechanics are constantly changing and evolving and I think he has gotten a good grasp for balance and hard, exciting fights. But wow do I wish he wasn't making me replay the exact same story he already made me replay once.

I'm glad the overland map is back. I thought it gave the earlier games a sense of scale that the later games lacked.

Uncertain about whether I'll buy it though. On one hand Avernum 1 is still pretty fresh in my mind; on the other hand there is the "existing Avernum owner" discount. Hmmm…

Later edit:
Any new material?
Plenty. A new, large town with a pile of quests. New hidden dungeons. New hidden characters with lots of backstory and things you can do for them. A completely new starter dungeon/tutorial.
Okay, assuming a discount, it's a likely purchase.

Last edited:
Still waiting to do my first Vogel RPG. I thought it would be Avadon but the demo turned me off story-wise. I tried several other demos of his and liked Geneforge (?) the best I think.

I always thought his games looked bad but after looking at the screens for this after just replaying Dark Sun: Shattered Lands I thought "This almost 20 year old game looks better then that" and wondered why.

I'm so sick of X, Soldberg, and Erika, that I couldn't possibly play another game with them in it. Of course, this isn't another game. It's the same game with a few tweaks. Jeff must churn out a game a year to meet his financial goals. He doesn't have time to write a completely new game. Also, he's moving to new platforms which should net him a tidy profit with very little effort. Even Avadon recycled many pieces of earlier creations. I don't blame Jeff. He's got a group of people who are very satisfied with his business model. If it isn't broken don't fix it. He should milk it as long as he can. He hasn't had to work at a real job in years, and that earns him kudos in my book. He's doing what he likes and making a living at it. Even whiners like me buy his games occasionally. I bought Avadon and even enjoyed it for 10 or so hours.

This sounds good to me. Only played part of AVernum 1 and 4 and dont really remember much about them. I was always turned off by the lack of walking animations and the horrible character portraits. If these are upgraded to be on par with Avadon in that department I will probably be getting them.

. I don't blame Jeff. He's got a group of people who are very satisfied with his business model. If it isn't broken don't fix it. He should milk it as long as he can. He hasn't had to work at a real job in years, and that earns him kudos in my book. He's doing what he likes and making a living at it. .

SIMILAR NOTE DEPARTMENT:

I once met a famous horror film director and directly asked him how he could make such slosh. He bravely admitted his films were slosh but went on to say he loved what he was doing, he had a spectacular bank account and his family was all set.

@Dajjer, I kinda like my job, but to do something you absolutely love and to make a living doing it, has got to be wonderful. It's almost as if you never have to really work.

This is GREAT new for me and very timely. I tried Avernum 1 and Avernum 4 demos yesterday and I loved the concept but couldn't stomach the lack of animations. I'm playing Geneforge 4 as a consequence. It meets my minimal graphical requirements.

The only beef I have is the lack of highlighting objects. Chest highlight but objects on tables and whatnot don't? You have to go to inventory to see what to pickup? Not a fan of that at all. I hope he has/will fix that. Otherwise I'm impressed.

Jeff changed his business model quite a bit over the last two years. A new platform with a lower price point and a completely new audience. Now a new old game with significant discounts.

I really love the games, I find them awesome, but they are just too long for me. :(

@Dajjer, I kinda like my job, but to do something you absolutely love and to make a living doing it, has got to be wonderful. It's almost as if you never have to really work.

My daughter is off to college next month and I've been trying to drill that idea into her about doing what she loves to do period.

And back to topic - Like Jemey, i too find Jeffs game too long and have yet to finish one (I've played three). Not complaining, I got my money worth but after 2/3s of the way in, I'm through.

I played through Exile, Avernum, Geneforge, Nethergate and Avadon.

I like all games, but playing through Exile/Avernum again ? - no, not again.

I ran through Exile III and Avernum I.

I used a map for Avernum to speed up a bit. I wanted to play Avernum II but there were no maps made back then. However, I just checked the website and appearently they mapped up to Avernum IV now.

http://hasenjs.byethost33.com/index.html

Looks pretty good, but I´ll probably wait for a remake.

Back
Top Bottom