BioWare - Laidlaw on the next Dragon Age game

Why would they scrap waves? The game that made them famous is full of waves of respawning enemies (Baldur's Gate) so why would they stop them now? They're part of Bioware. Since the start. Time to move on.

Weren't they talking about doing something more "open world" before, ala Skyrim?

Weren't they talking about doing something more "open world" before, ala Skyrim?

That would be a shame; imho they do story-driven corridors extremely well (or at least they used to) and I prefer their brand of scripted, designed encounters to random mobs in an open world (at least, encounters were well designed until the slash-able respawning waves of DA2).

Why would they scrap waves? The game that made them famous is full of waves of respawning enemies (Baldur's Gate) so why would they stop them now? They're part of Bioware. Since the start. Time to move on.

Baldur's Gate didn't have waves; you can use a Rogue to sneak around, view every enemy on the map, and plan your attack accordingly.

All I'm hoping for is better level design, more joinable factions with C&C and a lot more side quests.

IMO, those three things would have made Dragon Age 2 a great game.

No, an article quoted Ray Muzyka or someone as saying they were playing Skyrim or taking cues from it or something, but they specifically said they would not do any open world games.

I thought Bioware was closed ? Ah! You are talking about EA ...

There’s an old saying… Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
I will not buy another Dragon Age game designed by Mike “Tree Hugger” Laidlaw… period. :thumbsdown:

People really liked DAO, why not just go back to that formula? Also, why is he talking about customizing armor sets? That seems like a minor feature and not a broad scope design decision.

EA is the cancer of the gaming industry.They could care less about customers/fans the developers the employ or publish for ,and gaming. I will not buy another game thats under the EA banner until they stop trying to rip us off.

Bioware is a Canadian developer, Dragon Age 1/2 was made in Canada office. So how the US feels about France is not relevent for Dragon Age 3, when it will be Canadians that will be developing it. /shrug

True. Thank you for correcting my ignorance on that, actually.

I'm no fan of Bioware these days, but have you guys tried being just slightly fair about this? :)

Point taken.

People really liked DAO, why not just go back to that formula? Also, why is he talking about customizing armor sets? That seems like a minor feature and not a broad scope design decision.

The problem is that Bioware hasn't figured out what to do with the IP. DAO worked quite well on PC but the tactical aspects were difficult to control on console. They can't leave it as a PC-first product but they haven't figured out what will work with both camps.

They could, of course, have two different approaches but Bioware hates not doing the most "efficient" thing when it comes to develoment.

I should point out that most Canadians dislike the French FAR more than people in the US; the country is part French after all!! :)

I should point out that most Canadians dislike the French FAR more than people in the US; the country is part French after all!! :)

Yes almost as Blasphemous as having a burger without mayo on it.:biggrin:

Yup, Canadian's hate French, except for those in Quebec. So if the game is made in Edmonton, the French will be the loud smelly bad guys. If the game is made in Montreal, the French will be the artsy tough freedom fighters.

For me it is more the disaster of ME3, than DA2. In both games, the "hero" was not making ANY change in the result of the end. In ME3 and DA2, the player was just a witness of things. His influence on the result was, a few details, zilch. I profoundly hated that. In a RPG I want to feel my heroic or villainous actions made a difference. Something that reflects my doings in a positive way. Both in ME3 and DA2 in the end the world went apeshit. So I might as well have done nothing as Hawke or Shepard. That was what I felt was very, very wrong about these two games.

Back
Top Bottom