Eschalon: Book III - Review @ RGN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Real Gamer Newz has posted a new review of Eschalon: Book III, and going by the score of 9.7/10 they like the game. Here is part of the review.

The Final Verdict for Eschalon: Book III is don’t skip this one. RPG veterans will be pleased with the fresh experience, somewhat familiar gameplay, and extensively prepared final product allows the player to worry about just enjoying the game rather than dealing with bugs or design oversight. Escahlon: Book III is a game which players can sink tons of time into. If making characters in a Roguelike RPG that feels high tech, polished, and yet almost Retro at the same time sounds interesting to you then you should buy this game right now.
More information.

Bought it but waiting a bit more to start playing.
Can some one tell me if the balance between playing a mage or fighter is off?
Ive heard that a playing as a mage is a piece of cake. True?

Yes, true. Balancing is way off, the game is much easier as a mage.

At least, it was for me. It's entirely possible that if I had played a mage first and a fighter second, fighter would have been much easier, as I had to relearn how the game is played, how things work together. It has been a few years since the last one, after all.

You can influence that to some extent by choosing to play with extra challenges turned on, like no saving when enemies are around, to make it a bit harder, if that's what you want

Even in Book 2 mage was seriously overpowered. Roque on the other hand was totally worthless. With fighter sandwitched between the two extremes.

I would suggest playing with all the challenges turned on. The appeal of the game is largely based on how roque-like it is, so you should maximize that.

Im kicking ass as a warrior but only because i found a way to make tons of money because of quest bug.

its very addicting!!

Mage is easiest, by far. Paladin types are also very easy. Straight warrior is tough but doable. Rangers are hard because of a lack of dependable ammo. Rogues are very tough. If you play a game without any magic at all, you're a masochist :)

Ok, thank you all for the comments. Guess i wait a bit more. Certainly hope there will be a balancing patch. On the otherhand playing a mage with all challange at max is perhaps a good idea too.

People happy with the game? Would you recommend it? I played the first but not the second. I did enjoy the first.

I've just sent my review of the game to Myrthos so it should appear soon, but bottom line: GET IT!! :)

I've just sent my review of the game to Myrthos so it should appear soon, but bottom line: GET IT!! :)
Finally you slow poke.:p I can't wait to read it.

I also have a new review from another site. It will be in the news update later today. Gotta say it's not easy finding them. The larger sites are not interested.

Last edited:
I was waiting for a patch or 2 to hit first for this before playing, but it seems like people are actually finishing without issues, so I might dive into this one tomorrow.

If there's any bugs, they are very minor and would likely be considered exploits rather than bugs. There were certainly no showstoppers that I encountered!!

Eschalon is solid. It isn't flashy or special, it's just a solid game by an indie. It is short, but has replayability. I find it much more fun to play using the gold exploits, as I like to try most of the skills but don't want to play 15 times. Avernum without a party and only the demo area of the game, would be an apt comparison. I'd say this is between Deadman's Switch and MMX for length, so it fits with the current trend of shorter indie efforts. BW might release a mod kit for it if sales are good.

Eschalon's biggest problem is that few people are aware of its existence. If you like it, spread the word. I'm not really chatting it up because there really isn't anything special to talk about here. It doesn't really stand out, but it doesn't have many negatives either, except you can finish it in a weekend.

If you like pixel hunting, there are some "secrets" to find. I haven't ever found anything special at any of the secrets that I did bump across, but there might be a bunch I missed. I didn't pay attention. Hidden areas and "challenges" are a couple of the quirks of the Eschalon series. Like a mage challenge that requires you to never use a melee attack, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom