Dark Souls - Released, Trailer, Rendering Mod

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Catching up on some items, you're probably aware Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition has been released on Steam:
Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition is Now Available on Steam!

Prepare for a new, mysterious story, centered around the the world of Lodran, but most of all, prepare to die. You will face countless murderous traps, countless darkly grotesque mobs and several gargantuan, supremely powerful demons and dragons bosses. You must learn from death to persist through this unforgiving world. And you aren’t alone.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will include an untold chapter in the world of Lordran where the player must stop the spread of darkness at all costs by facing and defeating the Dark Knight Artorias.
There's also a release trailer and, as discussed on our forums, a clever user has already worked on the internal 1024x720 resolution problem and released a mod. The author notes it's too early to know how well this works for the entire game, but it doesn't make any changes to the code and is easily removed.
More information.

i love it so far.

There wasn't a game that made me this cautious and having to play till I reach a waypoint.. then to find another reason to keep playing.

And the graphics man .. so awesome, never seen anything like it

This game is wow , god damit if it had Darksiders/soulreaver control mechanics.. but that is so low on the food chain in my book.

worth every penny

PS: FU GFWL!

Played it for about an hour and got out of the asylum. Excellent game, graphics are good and gave me steady frame rate between 20-30 (played it on a low end machine with HD 4670 at 1024x768, 2GB RAM and 2.8GHz Dual core processor with Win 7 32bit). Played with mouse and keyboard. It plays fine but it pains me that they use the XBOX gamepad buttons on screen for instructions rather than keyboard buttons which is very confusing since there are so many buttons for the movement, combat and items.

Even with my poor keyboard and mouse controls, the game is not all that difficult and managed to destroy the asylum beast from the first time. My only difficulty is figuring and remembering which button to press to change weapon, switch weapons, parry, .. etc.!

How about the installation process?

That is usually the most annoying thing about GFWL games. Does it require you to sign up for various useless hotmail and GFWL accounts, despite being already logged in to Steam?

I already have gfwl configured and nowadays it just "works". It is not a big roblem most of the times. You need a live id and that mail adress doesnt need to be a hotmail. I am only answering parts about signing in in the beinning, not creating a new gfwl account, perhaps it demands a hotmail. ;)

Autosave doesnt work without gfwl "as usual".

I love dark soul, got it for my ps3 and now for the pc. Biggest dissapointment with the port was that i had to disconnect all other joysticks i had connected cause dark souls didnt find my controller. Also, it seams by the reports that the localization you playing in are controlled by windows. Thats a first. (if you are on a german pc you need to change the locale in windows to english, i am from sweden and i play it english) Also people with multiplescreens might have problems. And the most irritating thing, they wasnt able to hide the mouse pointer. Cosmetic easy to move the mouse away, but it is really one line of code for the programmers. Pure sloppy.

DS was always meant to be a straight port but i would have liked it to be a little better. I Dont mind the resolution controll scheme or the locked 30 frames. Its really working great in the game. For me.

However, i love the game and dont regret the buy at all. ;)

I have dual setup, and always play games in window mode. Didn't have any issues with this one... just that uou have to lock the mouse in with another program - but every1 should have such a tool nowadays

The only problem I had was with the resolution mod (which BTW adds a shortcut to remove the cursor). I couldn't get it to work in window mode, but its early and I won't be finishing it soon so there is hope

Whatever that game is about... Steam says:
"This item is currently unavailable in your region"

Possibly. It's not the only game unavailable in my region on Steam… For example the same happens with Batman Arkham City (not with Asylum though). Whatever the reason is, I can still buy both on Gamersgate. And others that are mysteriously unavailable on Steam.

Possibly. It's not the only game unavailable in my region on Steam… For example the same happens with Batman Arkham City (not with Asylum though). Whatever the reason is, I can still buy both on Gamersgate. And others that are mysteriously unavailable on Steam.

There were many threads on Steam about GFWL region locking, and Dark Souls was only locked recently. Those who preordered the game on Steam (or got Steam keys from GmG for example) however, can still play the game even through the store page is not available in their region.

If Gamersgate is offering it now (Steam version) and you can see this from your computer IP then they will be obliged to give you a working key, but because of the GFWL region locking, this might not be available for long for regions where GFWL is not available.

i've seen somewhere that there will be a later release for Darksouls in december?? for i forgot what's region..

It plays fine but it pains me that they use the XBOX gamepad buttons on screen for instructions rather than keyboard buttons which is very confusing since there are so many buttons for the movement, combat and items.
Those Xbox prompts surely are something :).

Anyway, I´m also playing with k+m (around 8 hours in) and while I can´t compare my experience to how the game plays with gamepad, personally I´m finding the game perfectly playable with k+m (after re-assigning some keys here and there).
For me, the only two issues would be
a) camera, which was somewhat spastic at times, but lowering its sensitivity reduced the issue and now I don´t notice any problems at all, unless I´m specifically paying attention to it
b) inventory management, because it operates on its own set of keys - however, unlike, say, Skyrim or Amalur, this is not a game where one goes into inventory, so it isn´t really a big deal
Most of the time is spent running around and killing enemies and for that k+m is without issues in my book. I use the usual wsad for movement, "f" for parry, "left shift" for block, lmb is fast attack, rmb is heavy attack, pressing mouse wheel locks on target, scrolling it circles items, space is for running and rolling … standard stuff :).

As for the game, so far I´m enjoying it a lot.
Level design is excellent, the game looks great (Durante´s fix ftw), combat system is superb, general difficulty level is certainly a breath of fresh air and I just like how it´s all put together (open world, difficulty spikes all over the place, bonfire system, shortcuts and so on). Overall, it´s a game with a very confident and clever design.
Definitely thumbs up from me, at least so far.

^ ^Normally I'd just guess "Australia" since that usually seems to work for the question "who has to wait a seemingly arbitrary ammount of extra time to play *insert name of game here*?" Apparently not this time though.

It looks like the release was on the same day in Europe, Australia-NZ, and North America but i don't see anything about it being released later in any specific regions. They did this port pretty reluctantly so unless it sells incredibly well I wouldn't expect there to be much of a rush on their part getting it to any region currently left out

Back
Top Bottom