Wasteland 2 - Post-Funding Update #37

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
InXile entertainment has a new post funding-update with a bunch of new information about the world map, the games Beta, and much more.

The World Map

Like Fallout or Arcanum, the basic experience on the world map is one of exploration and discovery.

Your travel on the world map is limited by both physical geography and clouds of deadly radiation. Within those constraints, you can travel anywhere in the region depicted on the map. You have two alternative means of exploration while in this game mode.

[Running out of water and trapped by Raiders]

Primary exploration occurs in a 3D map that shows your immediate surrounding environment with representative scale and geographic features of the region. Significant locations, settlements and sites reveal themselves as you scout around. The 3D exploration is in the same style and pattern as Mount & Blade and Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir.

[As you discover radiation zones they are marked on your map]

While in the 3D world map, you can press “M” to bring up a 2D map displaying the entire region. This 2D regional map automatically updates with locations you have either explored yourself, or have been informed of by another Wastelander. The regional map has been handed down from ranger to ranger over the previous century, each adding their own details to what was originally an old-fashioned roadmap from the 1990s.
As you discover radiation zones they are marked on your map In Arizona, locations generally match their canonical layout from Wasteland 1. The map is filled with key locations you will discover through regular playthroughs; but significant sections of the map are side exploration opportunities. There is plenty of space to wander around, discover hidden resources based on your character’s build, fight random encounters and discover minor sites that may be explored in normal game mode.

Early Beta

You’re all no doubt anxious to get your hands on the Early Beta and we’re anxious to get it to you! We’re now in the stage where we have distributed standalone copies of the Early Beta to a small group of external individuals as a test run. This is the final stage where we ensure it is up to our standards and runs on a variety of machines, and we’ll then be ready to get it to you.

Early Beta will only be distributed through Steam, as called out in the original Kickstarter reward tiers. The final release will – of course – be available through a wide variety of channels; but running the Early Beta through Steam is the optimal option. Any other solution would require a non-trivial investment of resources into Early Beta distribution; we feel those resources are better spent on the general quality, stability and scope of the game.

Wasteland 1

We noted back in Update 33 that Wasteland 1 would be getting a standalone release.

Where is it!

First, we’re ensuring it runs on modern machines, higher resolutions, faster processors, and all that jazz. We’re also giving it some polish for rerelease including a Mark Morgan music track, integration of the original paragraph texts into the game, and optional paragraph voice over & uprezzed portraits (both of which may be toggled on and off). We've spent a very limited amount of time on the WL1 portrait uprezzes and if possible we'd like to open up the ability to customize the WL1 portraits to the community themselves. We’ve also added support for multiple save games – now you don’t have to wipe the game clean to start over.

Wasteland 1 will be made available for free to all backers (including late backers as well as people getting it through the rewards associated with backing Torment: Tides of Numenera or Project Eternity), and sold as a separate title on GOG and Steam.
More information.

Last edited:
Cool looking overland map. The game is showing a lot more detailed development than I ever expected.

Also great news about Wasteland 1. Wasn't following these updates very closely so it surprised me that they are putting that much work into it.

Sounds like the over world exploration will be as open ended and nonlinear as promised. Good :)

Particularly like the survival aspects. Very eager to see how this one plays...

I didn't realize that they were still accepting late backers, but I'm glad I found out. I'm probably going to donate this weekend.

I'm also eager to try the updated version of the first game. I could never get past the lack of music and sound FX in the original version.

Well, I'm jazzed. Lovin' the exploration aspects and the travel options. I also think the new screen shot looks much better in terms of the desert colors, it looks like they toned down the cartoony look that was present in some earlier screens. Great decision. I'm glad I hopped into this one late by backing the Torment game through paypal, I'm getting both of these games for the very reasonable $45 in a nice deal.

Would have been sweet if it would have shipped this month but I guess I can wait a few more months. This is #1 on my playlist. Loved playing the original on my Apple 2e :)

"You’re all no doubt anxious to get your hands on the Early Beta"

- NO! I ain't. Stinking beta. I want a full polished product, well patched up after release. Then I might buy.

Only getting the "new" Wasteland 1. makes sense. That one at least is fixed as they wanted it to be.

"You’re all no doubt anxious to get your hands on the Early Beta"

- NO! I ain't. Stinking beta. I want a full polished product, well patched up after release. Then I might buy.

Only getting the "new" Wasteland 1. makes sense. That one at least is fixed as they wanted it to be.

Well, if you haven't bought the game yet, I'm pretty sure you're not the one he's talking to, but there are a lot of people longing for the beta. I'm not one of them though, I'll wait for the full release since I don't want to ruin the experience.

"Certain parts of The Wasteland are populated by particularly dangerous enemies. You are more likely to trigger high-level encounters while travelling in those areas. We do not conduct any form of level scaling in this regard; so if you wander off the beaten path you better be ready for a tough fight."

This makes me so happy I could cry.

I can't remember the last time I was this psyked about a game. Must've been years ago.

Back
Top Bottom