Bethesda Softworks - Sites Hacked

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft is warning their sites and forums were subject to a "hack attempt" over the weekend and users should consider changing their passwords:
Over the past weekend, a hacker group attempted an unlawful intrusion of our websites to gain access to data. We believe we have taken appropriate action to protect our data against these attacks. While no personal financial information or credit card data was obtained, the hackers may have gained access to some user names, email addresses, and/or passwords. As a precaution, we recommend that all our fans immediately change passwords on all our sites — including our community forums, statistics site for Brink, and here on the blog.
If your username/email address/password is similar to what you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. As we don’t know what further plans the hackers may have, we suggest that you keep an eye out for suspicious emails and account activity.
We regret any inconvenience that these attacks on us cause for you. These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent.
More information.

OK, this is starting to get crazy.

There will never be a secure network. Any thing can be hacked. This is getting crazy and the groups say its are fault for giving the company's are information.

I think they should turn the act of hacking into an act of terrorism. As far as I am concerned, they are instilling terror into stopping people from using the internet for various things, and if many things people stop using it could ruin economies. Charge them with acts of terrorism should get them to think twice before hacking something.

Agreed this is really starting to get annoying. Am I supposed to be made at Bethesda over this because I'm not, I'm pissed at the juveniles who are smart enough to know better and still act this way. These kinds of crackers get zero support from me especially when they go out of their way to screw every user they can by publishing the email+password everywhere they can in hopes of causing chaos. While big brother is bad, complete anarchy is even worse.

I've long ago started using a secure password generator for long site-unique secure passwords but even that doesn't feel safe anymore with the computing power of bot nets out there. It seems like 5 or 6 sites I have accounts with have been compromised in some fashion in the past year where I've gotten notification of compromised databases. (Includes this one which we know was the BBS developers fault for including developer debug scripts in publicly accessible area.)

Common two factor authentication can't come soon enough.

I think they should turn the act of hacking into an act of terrorism. As far as I am concerned, they are instilling terror into stopping people from using the internet for various things, and if many things people stop using it could ruin economies. Charge them with acts of terrorism should get them to think twice before hacking something.

Yes, we're headed in that direction. Eventually we'll be treated like a terrorist for 'illegally' downloading an MP3 or maybe singing a copyrighted song in public. The good old slippery slope of tyranny.

Yes, we're headed in that direction. Eventually we'll be treated like a terrorist for 'illegally' downloading an MP3 or maybe singing a copyrighted song in public. The good old slippery slope of tyranny.

Its just like everything else some idiot abuses something and ruins it for the rest.

As far as I can tell the forums are offline - makes it a bit hard to change the password... :)

There is full dump of data downloadable from piratebay, for those interested. Hackers' twitter is full of juvenile posts and ridiculous demands ("hat in skyrim") - if this kind of kids is skilled enough to hack Bethesda site (actually hack, not DDOS them, Anonymous way), then I guess they really should try harder protecting themselves.
Also: "Attempt" :))

There is full dump of data downloadable from piratebay, for those interested. Hackers' twitter is full of juvenile posts and ridiculous demands ("hat in skyrim") - if this kind of kids is skilled enough to hack Bethesda site (actually hack, not DDOS them, Anonymous way), then I guess they really should try harder protecting themselves.
I read an account of one security researcher saying it was usually their fault. After they release reports (with demonstation code) on security flaws in systems, the scriptkids usually pick it up from there. Then there's updates which people usually dont bother with, buying software on the cheap, or having knowledgeable system administrators on staff.

Last edited:

I'm not sure how much of this is the result of kids having fun, afaik hacking, malware and whatever are mostly done by professional criminals. Am I right or am I right?

O modi, O tempora.

Why people have such a high criminal energy I do not understand.

I think they should turn the act of hacking into an act of terrorism.

/sign ... including the whole shock & awe B2-paying-you-a-friendly-nightly-visit MOAB treatment and send USS Nimitz in their general direction. Flatten two or three hacker homes or... err... training camps and then see who's laughing :biggrin: .

Back
Top Bottom