bit-tech.net - Is Console Gaming Dying?

Well they would have to 'chip' their systems anyways. I just don't understand how they're physically getting the pirated games on the systems.

Well they would have to 'chip' their systems anyways. I just don't understand how they're physically getting the pirated games on the systems.

I dunno - but a quick google check (how I got my earlier info) said that they could use a PC and DVD-R disks ...

From the MS press briefing at CES:

- 39 million consoles sold
- 500 million games sold
- More than 20 billion dollars worth game revenue
- Xbox Live membership at 20 million

My guess would be the latter because while it is true that there are more Wiis out there it is also the more casual console that is certainly owned by millions of people who are lucky enough if they are able to find the "on/off" button in under two minutes

I think it is because of XBOX live, people want achievements and be able to play on live etc, but they cannot if they pirate.

I dunno - but a quick google check (how I got my earlier info) said that they could use a PC and DVD-R disks …

It's a very common practice where I'm from, and it's easy to accomplish.

The games are readily available due to the torrent technology, and all you need is a DVD writer capable of writing whatever disc format used.

In Denmark, the practice of chipping a console is legal - and we have shops doing it for money.

Cool … state sponsored piracy. ;)

I think it's about not restricting what people can do with their property, without proper research. Our laws are not quite so much on the side of corporations as in the US. But that's changing constantly, and I'm sure it's going to be illegal eventually.

Cool … state sponsored piracy. ;)

I am pretty sure the laws arent designed for consoles specifically, but rather consumer laws against EULAs (which generally dont fly on this side of the pond) restricting consumer use of purchased products, be that a dishwasher or a console... Of course you still void your warranty and whatnot.

I understand that ... I was just joking around.

Back
Top Bottom