UFO: Extra Terrestials

Out 10, 10 being the best, how do you rate UFO:ET

• Total voters

Lucky Day

Daywatch
I've been playing this game for 4 straight days now.

I should be studying for finals!

My only complaints so far are the repetitive music and the problems I had with X-Com the fist time: it gets bogged down in tedious fight after fight. It would be nice just to skip them once in awhile.

That's been my general complaint about most TBS games since SSI. At least SSI had a way to abstract a battle using the numbers in most of their games (you were taking your life in your hands by doing that however).

It really is tough even in Easy Mode.

A number of complaints have been over minor issues in regards to it being different than X-Com. I have a scoop for those people..I don't see the word Mindprose anywhere on the box. That said UFO: ET is far more faithful than say X-Com: Apocalypse.

UFO:A is an interesting historical footnote. It came out at a time when TB games were thought to be on the way to the graveyard. Its one of those rare games where you can it RT or TB. It gives the impression that possibly many developers never liked the idea of TB to begin with, they were simply forced to use it because of the limitations of computers at the time. Garriot said so much regarding Ultima 9.

So here we have the irony that is UFO: ET and possibly a wake up call to the industry if it does well.

On a side note UFO: ET is apparently very modable.

here's is a thread on the subject

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...how_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-35190683&pid=927132

It's one of the few upcoming games I'm truly excited about. I'm waiting until I can pick up a box and cd, so I can't place a vote yet.

Short reply: I'm at mid-june in game, my biggest complaint is too much combat. I'm playing on normal and I have to say combat is too easy. Strat mode is great, combat mode is okay. Character building is pretty bland.

Its basically the real x-com Appocolypse. Its exactly the same as ufo defense and terror but with some updates. But not updated every where I would have liked it to be, namley in combat and character building. Taking the tanks on missions just sucks away experience from your troops. Also, less combat would've been nice. If you liked the orginal x-coms, there is no way you wouldn't like this game. Its the same thing.

The graphics aren't anything to do cartwheels over, but they are definitely better than the originals. I'm not a sound guy or a graphics guy so I have no complaints in those department. Maybe a female paperdoll would've been nice.

My only big design complaint besides too combat heavy (which I critise every game for) is the ability to save in combat. I haven't tried playing on hard yet, so maybe you can't in hard, but saving in combat just ruins any tactical feel, and nullifies any and all complaints about dying in combat. If you have the patience to save and reload enough, you will get lucky and not get hit in an impossible situation. Maybe I could be disciplined enough to make say, "I'll never save and reload and make it ironman on my own," which would dramtically increase the games dificulty, but I'm not. I don't cheat, but if I can save and reload I'm going to save and reload.

I rated it an 8 so far because I'm having a great time playing and didn't put much thought into it and to average out my views on it.

My only big design complaint besides too combat heavy (which I critise every game for) is the ability to save in combat. I haven't tried playing on hard yet, so maybe you can't in hard, but saving in combat just ruins any tactical feel, and nullifies any and all complaints about dying in combat.

You can save during combat in the original XCOM though so a close remake would probably have it too. I agree with you however, it would have been better if they had a system like Jagged Alliance 2 where the random number seed is saved in the save game file so if you reload your still going to miss the next shot or the enemy is still going to hit you.

Roqua, you can't blame the game if you have weak willpower :)

I don't look upon it as a bad feature - Hell if Heroes V, another tactical turn-based strategy game, didn't have this same feature I would have stopped playing after the 1st Chapter. But then I suck, I guess :p

You could always wait for an Ironman mod from the UFO community.

Yeah, I should have clarified that that complaint was in general for all games (like having way too much combat) and not specifically UFO:ET. Its also my biggest complaint for FO and every game that includes it. When you have to get through combat whithout saving, or start over, like in Fire Emblem and ToEE, it just makes it a lot more tactical and worthwhile.

As an x-com clone this game got it perfect, I am more than happy with my purchase. I just would be even more happier if the devs could've read my mind and catered to my smallest wants and desires, of course.

Its also my biggest complaint for FO and every game that includes it.

What is FO? If you mean Fallout it actually doesn't let you save during combat.

FO2 does!!

And one does also. I just loaded it up to check. My FO 1 I have now came in the case with fo 1 and 2 combined, but I just saved and reloaded during combat 2 seconds ago.

Just an add to my post above, I have mutliple mods loaded into the game, so one of the mods certainly could have changed the way it saves. But i promise, it is saving and reloading during combat. When i played it without mods is so long ago I honestly can't remember how saving and reloading worked, so I definitely believe you, especially if other people tell me I'm wrong.

Well, naturally the Gamestop in the Bustling Metropolis doesn't have any copies, so I've ordered online and ponied up for 2 day shipping. Friday night, it's me versus aliens. Oh, it's on bay-bee!

Well, I didn't actually get to play until Sunday, but it was worth the wait. Granted, I didn't play until 6am like I did with XCom, but I'm an old codger now. The undead soldier thing is working out better than I thought. With XCom, the soldiers were mostly throw-away in the beginning. With the sharply limited supply, I think I'm more careful about keeping my undead troops alive, so to speak.

EDIT: It would appear what I have written below is incorrect. I just tested on the final battle with the master and it let me save under version 1.2. The thing is I remember trying to save during the battle to free tandi and I swear I got the prompt saying I couldn't save right now. I have no idea what happened and I can't replicate it not letting me save.

Fallout version 1.2 certainly does not allow you to save during combat. When you click to save it gives you a small popup saying that you cannot save during combat. I just finished a play through last week.

Last edited:
UFO is dragging me in big time. There's some things I wish they had (hotkeys, please?) to make it go a little faster, but I'm plugging away. What a fun game. I'm only to mid-March of the first year, so I've barely scratched the surface, but I keep looking for the next step. I've restarted 4 times, which isn't bad for me. I really want to build more research labs, but I went bankrupt very quickly when I did that on restart #3.

A listing of some things confirmed for the very soon to be released patch:
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1471912

Ive followed the development of this game since about mid 2002. About a minute after Matrix Games had it up for download, May 4th 12:01 am, I grabbed it. Since then I've been so busy playing it, can't seem to drag myself away, thus I haven't added much to the conversations here on the Watch concerning the game.

To be perfectly honest I never realized people here at the Watch were even playing it or might have some interest. Apologies Roqua I should have realized you would likely have it; the same goes for Cormac.

So given all the above I imagine most think I am now going to extol the virtues of the game. Sorry no time for that, I have a commander to capture, a base being overun, and some scientists who need a swift kick in the butt; I need that new weaponry dammit...

Ubbax
I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you had better take one along that worked. --Raymond Chandler

Looks like that's going to be a very good patch to have. Thanks for the heads-up, ubbax! I was wondering when one might be coming out. Since they're calling it "070530", I'm guessing it was sent to QA a couple days ago.

I've moved on to restart #5. I've learned a few things by actually reading the manual (injured soldiers lose XP!) and finding a tech tree. With improved strategy in hand, I'm ready to roll. I've researched straight thru to laser rifles, and the engineers are finishing up the ammo and getting ready for the rifles themselves. I'm being smarter with my levelups, too: strength to 40 and then pump accuracy and agility. Finally, I've decided to scrap my previous "spread the XP" approach and use the same 4 soldiers every time until I screw up and get one hurt.

This game is nearly as addictive as XCom, and the improvements of the patch will push it even closer. Huzzah!

Big tip DT, focus on that strength. You'll be glad you did. You are probably safe to stop at 70.

I didn't know about that on injuries, it does make sense.

You'll notice for a long time it will seem like there are only four types of aliens. This isn't true. At a late point about half dozen really nasty ones will show.

Nerve gas does not stun your enemies. Get Stun grenades asap.

Here's a weird one that seems like an exploit to me. Hit the Alien with stun gas then shoot to kill afterwards. They wind up being taken alive. I haven't tested this on any other setting than Easy.

Just a reminder, even Easy is hard.

If you are looking for Commanders of every type of creature like X-Com don't bother. So far I've only found two: Vipon Commanders and Phantom Commanders. You'll notice they are green and they are a lot of tougher. Don't bother capturing anything but Commanders alive.

Build an Interrogation room as one of your first builds.

Alien AI is not that great. They like to move down straightaways. You rarely find them actually inside of a building except if they are generated there at the beginning.

Alien Terrors are really annoying. All your aliens are spread out and your town folk just walkback and forth waiting to be killed.

So far it doesn't tell me the loss of civilians is bad but I suspect it is by the ratings it gives at the end.

It doesn't appear the Ratings mean much. They may mean something to the countries they land in, but XP is garnered strictly by kill. Being involved in the shot is meaningless. I think you get 6 XP just for being on a mission.

A good tip is to take a rookie with you if you have the room. Try nad give him the last shot to buildup their XP.

At low levels take plenty of grenades. Your shot accuracy is the pits. 9% accuracy with a grenade can be quite effective.

If you suspect you might be going against gas or fire Aliens make sure you spread your men out. Heck, spread them out anyway. It will reduce the dangers of Area attacks.

Research Medikits and Helmets ASAP. When you discover Surgery build two of them.

Don't forget, off country bases can't house people in them. Don't build labs, etc. They are strictly hangers.

It appears to me the cost of maintaining a base is about the same as the extra cash the country that it is on will give you. +-100k

Never empty your clips and stimpacks or you will have to replace them outright. After your mission your base will reload them.

This, like many things in the game, is an automatic charge.

Manufactured goods sell for half price, Unlike X-Com, its not worth it to go into manufacturing. Use your equipment to raid Alien equipment to sell to keep you out of the red.

Having too much fun with manufacturing and even research can leave you in the red.

If its too slow to get to your enemy try a more direct approach: blast through the wall. They never see it coming.

Improve your Armor ASAP.

Tanks are a magnet for enemy fire. This can be good or bad. Tanks do not earn XP and therefore take it away from your men.

Shooting down a UFO over water will destroy it completely.

Leave a fwew AP to get reaction shots durting enemy movement. Leave a pistol in your off hand as they take fewer AP's and can give you a shot or to at the end. You can't control what kind of shot you take; it appears to be an unaimed single shot.

Don't bother leaving your highest ranking guy on the Ship like you would do in X-Com. Morale checks only come into play with Psychic attacks.

Try not to shoot anything that blows up on alien ships. The more that's saved, the more that's potential booty.

Scouts and Fighters do not carry commanders.

Research Plasma ASAP by capturing a leader for it. It will save you cash on manu'g your own Lasers.

That's all for now. I'll probably think of a few more later.

Until then, keep watching the skies.

...oh..apparently the game is really moddable. There's already a mod that defines hot keys.

...oh..apparently the game is really moddable. There's already a mod that defines hot keys.

That's what I wanted to ask, if any of you had tried a mod or two. I still haven't purchased my copy; Matrix online store has it for $65 with shipping, so I'm waiting to see if a store will have it somewhere around here sometime soon.

I bought online via Amazon last week for $40. Pretty sure you'll only pay a little extra shipping due to being in the Great White North.

At ubbax's link, it looks like the patch is "borrowing" the major stuff from the most popular mods. Outside of Morrowind and one specific utility for Wiz8, I've never gotten too excited about user mods. Just makes me nervous fiddlin' with things I don't truly understand. Kinda silly since I could always do a clean install, but I never claimed to be totally sane.

Back
Top Bottom