Project Eternity - Post-Funding Update #56, Paladins

So traditional novels/ PnP games are only bought by newcomers? Nice theory, but I don't think it holds up under scrutiny.

I reworded my original post to clarify the meaning. My point was not that all veteran players become bored in the said manner, but for those that do there are plenty of new players to fill in the ranks. Ergo it is not necessary to abandon traditional tropes.

Oh my goodness, why?
The same reason why I pledged 165$.

But I don't feel a disappointment or something. Josh was a pain in my arse back then when designing the DaVinci game with Reflexive, was another ulcer with his FO:NV who cares mod and etc. so I can't expect the stuff I want from him. He does stuff many ppl love, want, cherish, and he's good in it. What I desperately want is crazy brain blowing up stuff Avellone does.

So don't get me wrong, I do say yuck when I hear "here come paladins", but honestly, that's something I'll easily ignore. On the other hand, many will be happy with it, critics will praise it, sales will be better - it's a case of win win.

…astonishingly good dungeons and plot twists.
Obsidian not on a leash - we'll get exactly that and probably more.

Sacred_Path said:
I don't know if the leap from BG to P:E will be quite as big.

I agree on JDR :p I don't think it will be a leap from BG at all. Sorry, but Obsidian isn't that great in my eyes. They did some great things but never on same level as BG series. They have tendency to produce half-baked crap, that falls apart especially towards the end, but hey, that's my opinion :biggrin:

In saying that, I really do wish they succeed. Torment and PE are the only games I look forward to these days, and frankly, I like the usual, boring, same old fantasy setting more than Torment setting. So I'm not disappointed with the updates at all :)

Paladin was never my favourite class which is funny, because I love being what my hubby calls a goody-two-shoes. I like having Paladin in party, but never liked playing paladin in D&D setting (don't mind it in WoW).

Still good update, and I always look forward to hear/see/read any news about PE. I'm impressed with what I've seen so far :)

Noone, not even BioWare, has made anything on par with BG1-2 before or after actually making BG1-2, so that's hardly a fair comparison. ;)

Beyond that, I'd say Fallout, IWD and PS: T is pretty much as close as it gets, and the developers at Obsidian were responsible for all that, so they certainly master the whole isometric-party-based-tactical-RPG thing.

I've always found D&D paladins, if built pure, quite underwhelming for some reason. A few levels for some useful feats then multiclassing early seems necessary for the character to be useful.

Who cares about the power? Paladins can be great fun from a roleplaying/character perspective. Lawful stupid is a bit cliched, but there are a variety of approaches one can take to personal codes of honour etc. that make a great hook for both the character and others in the party to play off.

I don't know if P:E will be a leap from BG at all.

In that case I'd suggest you read the updates on the official forums (if you're interested in the game at all). Topics like stealth, resting, and general balance have been adressed, and it should be apparent to you why if you've played BG recently.

And then there are other nice touches, like the internal consistency of the game's languages... dunno if you're into that tho ;)

In that case I'd suggest you read the updates on the official forums (if you're interested in the game at all). Topics like stealth, resting, and general balance have been adressed, and it should be apparent to you why if you've played BG recently.

Better yet, I'll just wait until I actually play it before declaring that it's superior to BG. :)

Better yet, I'll just wait until I actually play it before declaring that it's superior to BG. :)

fine by me, as long as it doesn't take you more than a fleeting glance to declare it's inferior to BG ;)

Back
Top Bottom