GW2 pre-purchase is LIVE!

Drithius

Magic & Loss
https://buy.guildwars2.com/

Pre-purchase will actually be a charge on your credit card (as opposed to what a pre-order would entail). You will have 3 days advance on the official launch, as well as access to any further beta testing from here on out.

You didn't happen to have seen or know when downloading starts for Guild Wars 2?
Do we have to download that huge beta client then download the finished client later?

There's been no information on when/how on the client as far as I know. I pre-purchased, registered, linked my gw1 account... and that's about it. In fact, the beta forums (linked to in registration correspondence) seem to be down as well

I kinda want a box for this one although this client is gonna change so many times that it won't be long before the box version has no resemblance to the actual client. Just like most MMO's

They will send an email when people can download the new client for the BWE. It's at the end of April.

The only other thing I know is that people who had the previous client need to re-download the next one. Not idea if you have to re-download for each BWE and live though.

edit:
The retail box doesn't come with data on disk though, it's just an installer.

Yeah, I had contemplated getting a physical copy... but for an MMO + a likely leaflet for a 'manual', I just gave up caring.

The collector's edition, however, is pretty darn nice for physical media. But at $150, it's hard to justify.

The collector's edition, however, is pretty darn nice for physical media. But at $150, it's hard to justify.

It have a nice statue made by Happy Worker and a book.

Also, it is sold out almost everywhere worldwide. It was actually sold out in a few country before the official pre-purchase date.

I decided to just pre-purchased the standard edition. Very interested in playing but none of the "plus" stuff really interested me.

So I'm guessing some of you guys have played it? What's unique about it from other MMOs like WoW, Warhammer, SWTOR? I've heard some people get excited about it but never really played GW1 and unfamiliar with what's unique about it.

Beta is up and running :) Got me a Ranger and a Rogue so far. Laggy but thats to be expected considering the numbers … and that I have every setting on max for graphics.

My Ranger:
gw007.jpg

and Rogue:

gw011.jpg

gw015.jpg

Login servers are gettting hammered pretty badly. Hell, even the official forums are down.

Aaaarghhhh, i've been trying to login for the last 45 minutes! :(

The furthest i made it was to the character selection screen before the dreaded "Network Error" dialog shows up and kills everything…

Was messing around a bit with a Charr Engineer,, and one thing that really bugs me is how bad the graphics lag is. I should really be getting more than 15-20fps with an ATI 5870 and AMD Phenom II 3.4GHz chip.

Devs have stated that the game is heavily CPU-bound right now and not optimized, but it's still no excuse.

There is a problem for users of AVG internet security software, updating hangs, you can't log in and such. Stopping your firewall lets you play.

A somewhat less radical solution to the problem is found from the AVG bulletin: http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=199353, at least fpr Win7 64bit versions.

It involves setting the BranchCache/Windows Remote Management and the Windows Remote Management to Allow for all in the advanced settings, system services for the firewall.

Not sure if that's entirely safe, but I guess some of you can answer that.

Not sure about others but it got a lot smoother for me later that night (friday). I was able to go in and out making characters pretty easy. There were A LOT of characters on screen and still able to manage ... they still have plenty of optimizing to do though.

Pretty fun game. I am enjoying a lot of the user-friendly touches they have added. Just makes the game very easy to use and track things with. I was able to play most of the night.

Well, my problem isn't computer related. Turns out to be account related.

I'm playing in the UAE and when I first managed to logon, I chose an EU server (less latency) after which I was promptly booted and could never get back in again. It seems that my game was automatically set to NA (without me knowing) and by choosing a different server, it got borked.

Many people are on the support forums waiting for a resolution. Good news: Anet has acknowledged the issue. Bad new: They did so 13 hours later!

Oh well, more than 15 hours have passed and i'm still unable to play in the rapidly-finishing Beta Weekend…

I is sad panda! :(

Saw "Pre-Purchase" boxes in retail yesterday.

I might buy it one day, but I must say I didn't like GW1, felt too much like a card game to me (i.e. having to choose a set of abilities for an adventure). Is it still the same system? or can I at least change the abilities at will without having to reset the adventure?

I might buy it one day, but I must say I didn't like GW1, felt too much like a card game to me (i.e. having to choose a set of abilities for an adventure). Is it still the same system? or can I at least change the abilities at will without having to reset the adventure?

It's not the same as GW1, which I personally lament; however, there is a completely new system in place. Depending on which weapon you currently have equipped, you have access to 5 distinct skills. Swap to another weapon and you have 5 other skills. In addition, you also get a set of 5? utility skills common across all weapon types that you pick and choose from a skill window.

It's a completely different system than what's become the tired and boring norm of late, of have 20,30,40 skills all on your skill bar, all at once, but typically long cooldowns.

Back
Top Bottom