Gothic 3 G3 glitch: caves go dark

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO
Okay, here's another one I ran across and haven't managed to solve (nor have I seen it mentioned here, apologies if I missed it). In certain caves, when moving into certain areas, the screen fades to black. First I thought it was intentional since there were shadowbeasts in the cave and I figured it could be a nifty spell-like effect, but it happened again in a perfectly normal bandit cave. Anyone see this? Any clues for solving it?

(BTW, I solved that recurrent freezing problem, and feel like an idiot for it. It was just my GPU overheating; turning up the fan on it a notch solved it right out. Strange that it hadn't happened on other games though.)

Well I still think the darkness is intentional in any cave to simulate daker the deeper you go in a cave and to simulate lack of torches in a paticular spots, though I could be wrong. :)

Of course it's intentional, if everywhere was well lit there would be no need for light spells or torches. I suspect that it also gives a gameplay-purposeful discentive - eg: if when holding a torch you arm the bow, the torch is dropped and unlike G1/G1 it is extinguished, yet if you arm a melee weapon - the torch stays lit.
In the dark cave of the bandits i wanted light yet i wanted to snipe with the bow - solution = light spell+bow.

I think it's intentional, ín a lot of caves you can manage pretty well without a torch because of the crystals often lining th walls, but when those chrystals are not present sight in the cave goes black, it's mostly in passage's between larger cave areas.

I know of the cave you speak of - three or four shadowbeasts lurk in the dark in that one. I actually won that fight without using Light or a torch or anything, beating them in the dark, but that was a miracle, not skill, hehe. If you use the spell Light, you can illuminate any such cave - I strongly recommend that you spend 5LP to get that spell even if you are not a caster; you can get enough Ancient Knowledge to get Light by just reading old tomes and stone tablets. It will help you out a lot in dark tombs and caves, really saves the day quite a few times.

In Gothic 1-2 I used to stack up a sick amount of Light spell scrolls to use in those situations if I was not a mage - it's far better than the Paladin version of the spell, and torches can't even compete as you have to hold it in one hand, while the Light spell allows you to use both hands like normal.

Where are these stone tablets you speak about? I don't recall coming across any!!

I can't believe it's intentional at least in the bandit cave -- I can actually see the light sources, they just don't light up the corridor. It's not at all like walking into a dark area, it's like walking into a "darkness" or "blindness" spell. That is, you can see *into* the dark area from the outside, but once you walk into it, the screen fades to black.

Yes, it makes sense in the shadowbeast cave, but not at all in the bandit cave. (OK, in the latter case it could be an intentional effect that they put in by accident.)

Well they proabaly don't have fully implimented Partical Shadows ( I hope I said that correctly and accuratly as it very late here :p ) due especially considering there Engine is based on No Loading Levels which take huge resourses.
An Engine like Doom3 would never even start on a modern system, well none I can thing of at the moment if it tried to run a huge world like Gothic 3, with all its massive Mapping techniques, god just thinking about it makes my head hurt. :p

So it proabably could use some tuning but basicly I doubt it will chance much, though I certianly could be wrong.

Corwin - you can get stone tablets in Geldern(for winning arena matches and at vendors) and in the desert. Loads of old stone tablets, pillars and books you can read to get AK up in the desert - I got around 100 AK on my latest character without spending a single point getting it. You can also get enough alchemy to produce the best potions in the game from just reading books.

Thanks, I haven't got past Cap Dun yet, only level 9. Haven't found anyone selling a Flame sword, so still using original blade and Fireball, with the occasional Bow use when I'm not out of arrows. Money always seems to be running low since everything costs a great deal, but sells for peanuts!!

Corwin
Out couriousity did you find a Blacksmith for Reddock, if so did you check his inventory closly or Aldern's Blacksmith, the starting village? ;)

Here's another vote for intentional darkness (Although I don't have the game yet)
Remember there were pitch black areas in the final dungeon in G1 that forced you to use a torch. I remember lighting it up only to find the room filled with Minecrawlers. What an awesome gaming experience!

Yes, I do remember that Jabberwocky, still this is sth different imo. For a game of todays standards it goes not gradually enough. In some caves (bandit cave athe coastal region) you can sometimes see yourself really well, move a bit and then almost nothing. It's not that the lightsource has been blocked or anything.

Corwin
Out couriousity did you find a Blacksmith for Reddock, if so did you check his inventory closly or Aldern's Blacksmith, the starting village? ;)

I know where the smith is, but he won't talk to me. I suppose I have to kill the 4 Orcs who are keeping him there. The smith in Ardea had no inventory when I talked to him??

If you want a hint you can get far away from the hut an pull a single at a time this way the main one stays sitting in his throne till you go talk to him which gives you one of the little mini quest, i.e. a duel which nets you attribute increases.
The smith should have an invetory in Aldern, wait unless you need to complete the lamp oil quest first, can't remember only alittle sleep, doh! ;)

What Lamp OIl quest?!! :) I've missed that one!!

Nah you just haven't gotten to it yet or don't realise you have it, without spoiling it. ;)
Info about it comes from 3 places, Marlo will sell you info, Cyrus in Cape Dun actually gives you the main quest and Iomar (a little walk toword Montera from the farm with the blacksmith just before the Y intersection that actually leads to Montera) gives you the sub quest for Oil.

I won't PAY anyone for information (I'm short on gold right now). Cyrus doesn't seem to want to talk!! I'll check it out again later, so thanks.

Back
Top Bottom