Dungeon Lords-some newb help please?

Did you try saving the game right there, and then loading it up with only your character and trying to get the reward then?

We did while dealing with Augustus, and it didnt work. But since we could proceed with the main quest we ignored it. It was only much later, after more or less clearing the path to Arindale, that we realised that my progress within the celestial order was blocked. By then we didnt have any appropriate savegames.

Luckily it turned out that my hope of only the NPC in Fargrove having bugged triggers was true. The guildmaster in Arindale has different triggers and let me progress. Funny thing is that once I've become Paladin (in Arindale) and return to Fargrove, Seer Paulus treats me as if I just talked to his buddy Augustus and asks me to talk to the Celestine. If I do that he offers me to join his order and go place a candle!!! Not wanting to mess things up further I politely declined:p A funny side-effect is that only my gf has access to the celestine order's "member inventory", and since they stock a slightly different sortment of crystals that's a nuisance.

The other similar bug we've seen was with the freeing of a prisoner that gives you a password to the slums district. My gf and I both talked to the prisoner, both got the password, etc, but only she got a quest reward and only she can open the door to the slums. At that instance we did a lot of experimenting (given that the whole "quest" is so short) but never got around the problem.

Otherwise we ARE having fun with the game, but the fun is mainly with tactical fighting. The event driven roleplaying part of the game is rather weak both in technical implementation and story, and both visuals and audio are rather crappy. Luckily we are prepared to overlook that in MP.

Otherwise we ARE having fun with the game, but the fun is mainly with tactical fighting. The event driven roleplaying part of the game is rather weak both in technical implementation and story, and both visuals and audio are rather crappy. Luckily we are prepared to overlook that in MP.

Good to hear! :) I've never completed the game in MP myself, but have read several times that others have, so there shouldn't be anything you 2 can't get around (unless you both chose Urgoths, in which case I can point you to the work around for a quest-stopping problem with them).

Surprised you found the visuals "crappy". I quite liked the art direction and find the monster design to be some of the most interesting I've come across in a while. Of course, if you're refering to the lack of diverse terrain or the semi-empty towns, or the "hilly" water, or the artificially limited view distance outdoors, I can understand that. ;)

We're both habitual humans (for some reason we always go human or elf), so the Urgoth bug shouldnt be a problem:)

In all fairness I've mainly played either fairly new (Gothic 3, Two Worlds, Oblivion) or too old for one to care about the graphics (Arcanum & IWD 2 with the latter arguably looking better than DL) in the last year, so I am not in a position to give a unbiased judgment on the games visuals. So I go by a rather subjective believability criterion, and here DL isnt that great. If anything I'd put the graphics in the ballpark of Gothic 2 (but now I compare with something I havent really seen for two years), only less immersive.

Aside from your "short" list of beefs which all have been noticed the wilderness feeels empty as well(it is funny how it feels like we are running into more random encounters inside Fargrove than in the wilderness), but thats not what bugs us. It's the horrid player character animation that bugs us the most though, and given the games perspective you have to look at that all the time:p I dont know how to describe it, but it feels a bit like watching someone trying to run on ice, with the leg movement not quite matching the character's speed. We are however not overly concerned with graphics, so we can live with that.

The monsters on the other hand are great and is part of what pulls us in. They are fairly varied and really require us to be on our toes to a level that wasnt needed in the old Infinity engine classics or NWN that was distinctly lacking in surprise elements.

My initial fears about getting shafted on the experience front are alleviated, having another player cover your back and take some heat of you is such a huge advantage that a slightly lower level doesnt matter at all:)

I thought that the monsters were well done, as were the dungeons, but the exteriors looked to me like a 3D-ified Wizards & Warriors ...

heh heh, I got my DLCE for $5 and G3 for $10... :D

I liked the idea of a more complex class and skill system for an ARPG, along with what I thought was a decent combat system. The dungeons and interior areas seemed to be fairly well done, although towns and outside areas seemed kind of barren. It's too bad that the game wasn't completely finished and polished, even for the "collector's edition".

I played about halfway through it, but haven't played it much since as I'd been hoping that wine would eventually be able to run it perfectly, but while it runs it now, it doesn't allow full camera rotation. It stops at about the halfway point and forces you to move the camera the other way around to see the other area, unlike windows where is spins freely along a 360 degree arc.

IIRC in my game, I had a cleric type of character(dwarf IIRC) with wizard(IIRC) and it seemed that identify would only be attempted once when you examined an item(been a while since I played) and you'd only get the one shot at it in which the item would be IDed or not.

I can't remember if I ever got repair to work reliably...

@txa1265
The DL engine was a modified version of the same engine from Wizards & Warriors...

Perhaps its just the lack of reviews (for the CE edition).

Sadly, they earned almost every bit of bad reputation they got, misdirected and otherwise, by releasing a very unfinished game, pretending they didn't, and then having the gall to ask already paying customers to pay even more for the (almost) finished version. Very, very bad business practices that greatly harmed the rep of a pretty fun game. Too bad.

cutterjohn said:
It's too bad that the game wasn't completely finished and polished, even for the "collector's edition".

That's probably the greatest tragedy of the whole tale. The game left so much potential on the table, it's painful to think about.

cutterjohn said:
and it seemed that identify would only be attempted once when you examined an item(been a while since I played) and you'd only get the one shot at it in which the item would be IDed or not.

Not quite. If you fail, you just have to wait a while before the game lets you try again. Nice mechanic to incentivise and make worthwhile uping your identify skill, imo.

cutterjohn said:
I can't remember if I ever got repair to work reliably...
It does. Confusing thing was that you had to unequip to repair. An example of the less than elegant UI implementation.

BTW: I was browsing totalgaming.net (stardock) and noticed that they had DLCE for $19.95 or 2 tokens...

You can problably find DLCE cheaper somewhere if you look enough...

I liked DLCE. I know it wasn't finished but it was a fun game. I didn't like that certain spells were still broken but overall I played the game to the finish and glad I bought it.

Damn, xSamhainx that's a sweet deal. :)

We took up Dungeon Lords again this weekend, and are still having a blast, but we noted another multiplayer bug. My second fighters guild quest involves killing a slaver and talking to his knight prisoner afterwards, but only my gf (who is hosting the game) could talk to him. If I try to talk to him and she doesnt he just wanders off onto a mountain, where he was attacked by a bunch of randomly spawned ninjas who we couldnt reach:p

After that the quest was broken. Luckily we still had a recent save and only lost about an hours worth of playing.

EDIT: Encountered another MP bug. One of Staroxias quests require you to pick up a totem, but only the host can pick it up, and the quest doesnt register as completed for the other player.

We got to the shadow ruins last night, and after 2h of frustration we decided to print the walkthroughs for the section. I truly hate teleporter mazes. We did some manual mapping but gave up as we got to parts with series of identical small corridors and floating islands. In another game I would have tried dropping items to use as markers for the otherwise identical areas, but dropped equipment seems to disappear in Dungeon Lords.

Last edited:
The Save Game Editor, might work if you encounter a broken quest, not upgrading rewarding correctly.
We had similar problems the sever must always carry Quest items and do the talking first to be on the safe side and prevent broken quest.
Especially when Saving your game, if you lose an item most likely you can add it back with the Editor on the Host's Save, just back up first.
It's much easier to spend 10 minutes with the Editor than replaying an hours worth of game.
You probably already know this, always Save before picking up a Quest and don't Overwrite it until Quest complete. :)

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/d...aved-game-editor-dungeon-lord-game-72087.html

Mobygames says the Bad Reputation... Terrific Game!
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dungeon-lords-collectors-edition

Perhaps its just the lack of reviews (for the CE edition). And Im really not in great need of yet another (3d) fantasy rpg. There are so many better ones nowadays that games like DL have no place really.

Hehe... that review "Bad Reputation... Terrific Game" is one I wrote...

Take that knowledge for what it's worth :)

We got to the shadow ruins last night, and after 2h of frustration we decided to print the walkthroughs for the section. I truly hate teleporter mazes. We did some manual mapping but gave up as we got to parts with series of identical small corridors and floating islands. In another game I would have tried dropping items to use as markers for the otherwise identical areas, but dropped equipment seems to disappear in Dungeon Lords.

:lol: That was definitely one I felt absolutely no guilt for using a walkthrough.

Prices in the US, have jumped back up to $39, since xSamhainx's great deal, a week ago.

Nicely done, I didn't even think or know about a Gothic 3 and DL package. :)

The Save Game Editor, might work if you encounter a broken quest, not upgrading rewarding correctly.
We had similar problems the sever must always carry Quest items and do the talking first to be on the safe side and prevent broken quest.
Especially when Saving your game, if you lose an item most likely you can add it back with the Editor on the Host's Save, just back up first.
It's much easier to spend 10 minutes with the Editor than replaying an hours worth of game.
You probably already know this, always Save before picking up a Quest and don't Overwrite it until Quest complete. :)

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/d...aved-game-editor-dungeon-lord-game-72087.html

Having played (often buggy) RPGs since the early nineties I know a thing or two about sound savegame practices, but my gf is hosting (for some reason we get shorter loading times when her slow computer is hosting) and, not being native to RPG peculiarities, she sometimes mess up:p

The save game editor unfortunately cant solve all potential problems (quest rewards being a fairly inconsequential one, given that there is unlimited experience to be had from moonbeasts and arena). Problems mainly occur when quests arent flagged as done due to only one of us having a quest item, and when that flag is used to trigger something else (I mentioned a problem with the guildmaster of the celestial order in Fargrove earlier in the thread). Currently I have two uncompleted quests that my gf doesnt, one from Staroxia (the totem), and one old Celestial order quest that stems from the bug in Fargrove.

In an event driven game we dont know how important these broken triggers are (so far we've managed to get around ignoring them, and since others have completed the game in MP I'm fairly optimistic). And the editor wont let you add items or change quest flags as far as I can tell...

We havent seen detrimental effects from me picking up quest items though. They cant be transferred, and only I can apply them, but it's never been a showstopper. There's also the odd occurance when quest items are transferred to my gf upon loading a savegame, which I take as yet another sign (the first being that I have to reassign my quickslots every time we start up the game, something that killed me more than once) that the game doesnt have completely separate data fields for the characters in a MP savegame.

@Zaleukos: if you mean the Quest Log when you're talking about quests not being flagged as done, don't worry too much. The Quest Log updating properly has been a bug since release. They made some fixes, but I'm not surprised it doesn't work properly in MP. As you said, as long as you can progress the story line, you'll be fine.

The apparent random movement of quest items from you to your gf/host was actually a kludgey "fix" they put in for MP in one of the patches to avoid some quest-breaking that used to happen.

Back
Top Bottom