Alpha Protocol - Non-Combat Path

Glad we got that sorted out, then. Where did you get this information?

That's awesome news! I love non-lethal but non-ghosting runs like I could do in the Thiefs (how do you pluralize that anyways? Thieves doesn't seem right.), Deus Ex (mostly), and the last Hitman. Ghosting is great, of course, for those who enjoy it, and the ultimate challenge for the skilled. Personally, I prefer just knocking everyone out. :D

Glad we got that sorted out, then. Where did you get this information?

I know Matthew Rorie said in some video preview that providing a diplomatic solution to the game was not a focus.

It's also confirmed here: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=52932
"Mike will be forced to fight in some missions, just not forced to kill."

So yep, I think I'd change the topic title because OEI never said there is a non-combat path. It's very different than not killing someone, especially since the game seems to have quite a heavy focus on kills vs non-lethal takedowns.

Using something like chloroform would be considered a non-combat solution since you are not attacking the person but just putting them to sleep. There wouldn't be damage so no combat occured. Most other forms of non-leathal takedowns are combat solutions like tanquilizer darts since you are attacking the person to stop them.

I know Matthew Rorie said in some video preview that providing a diplomatic solution to the game was not a focus.

It's also confirmed here: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=52932
"Mike will be forced to fight in some missions, just not forced to kill."

So yep, I think I'd change the topic title because OEI never said there is a non-combat path. It's very different than not killing someone, especially since the game seems to have quite a heavy focus on kills vs non-lethal takedowns.

Cool, thanks for the info. That's what I figured too -- along the lines of Deus Ex with a combination of stealth, tranq darts, and cattle prod, and minus the set-piece battles that you had to sort of wiggle out of, and the game acted as if you had killed your man afterward anyway. I like that approach just fine; a cRPG with *no* combat at all would be a bit... unusual, and I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it.

Well, most of the cRPGs can be completed with killing anyone ;)

Nah, most cRPGs can be completed with killing everyone, this can be completed by killing anyone. Defeat the first NPC you see and you have completed the game!

To finish MGS4 on 100%, you cannot kill a single NPC in the entire game. The MGS series and Splinter Cell relies on stealth to get through the mission and not being spotted once is the real challenge. If they draw inspiration from those games I can understand what they are going for.

I think having a way to go through most of the game using diplomacy would work since diplomacy is an option and depending on how the person is roleplaying they may want to take a diplomatic direction at certain points and not at others. This way it would be up to the player on when and where to take the diplomatic root and not to.

To finish MGS4 on 100%, you cannot kill a single NPC in the entire game. The MGS series and Splinter Cell relies on stealth to get through the mission and not being spotted once is the real challenge. If they draw inspiration from those games I can understand what they are going for.

There is actual gameplay tucked in between the cutscenes ... crap, must have missed that! :D

Glad we got that sorted out, then.
Good. :)

Using something like chloroform would be considered a non-combat solution since you are not attacking the person but just putting them to sleep.
In gameplay terms, it's combat all right. Of course, the semantics of the thing change, but if there's no impact in the plot, it's just metagaming, or different approaches, at most.

Indeed! Here's hoping that they do.

Back
Top Bottom