DOSBox 0.71 Released

A wonderful, important program, moves forward. I don't know whats the changes are, but since the 0.7 version its one of the most important little freeware projects thats going on. Its soo good that i just want to give this news a little comment. :)

Here are the changes listed:
A bugfix release this time, but we couldn't resist adding a few new exciting features:

* Added a new recompiling cpu core which is easier to port!

* Added a x86_64 and a mipsel_32 recompiling core.

* Fixed hangups on certain platforms after long gameplay of several games.

* Fixed several joystick bugs.

* Improved cdrom support. (fixes for audio, iso and detection.)

* Improved SVGA and VESA. (detection and display)

* Fixed a few textmodes and improved ansi emulation a bit.

* Fixed pcspeaker and certain types of soundeffects.

* Added undocumented mousebackdoor.

* Made mount and imgmount a bit easier to use. (ioctl by default, support
for ~ and ~username, auto size guessing for images)

* Fix a few compilation problems on various hosts and a general code
cleanup.

* Several small fixes that improve compatibility.

The compatibility should be the same as 0.70 aside from the games we fixed. (see the Changelog for details)

I will test later tonight to see if this resolves the issue with Shadow over Riva in dosbox, sounds like it is possible if they made some changes to cdrom support.

Yes, if only it weren't so complicated to use.

Yes, if only it weren't so complicated to use.

Download and use this program. It makes using dosbox very easy. I've been using it for about a year or so and it's great.

dfend

It may not be compatible with the newest version of dosbox... but it's worth it to use an earlier version of dosbox just for the user friendliness that this provides.

What about all the MOUNT commands etc??

What about all the MOUNT commands etc??

Well, in my opinion it *is* better to insert the correct mount commands in the dosbox.conf file (there is a tutorial on how to do this on the DosBox webpage) - but if you just drag'n'drop an exe onto DosBox it'll automatically mount the dir that contains the exe as C:\ and then run the exe file. As long as the dos game doesn't assume that it's installed in a specific directory, and as long as its memory requirements are "standard", then it should work to just drag'n'drop the game onto the DosBox icon from a plain vanilla install of DosBox.

*nods* I think mounting is a strange concept for people not used to linux/networking. But surely it's only us geeks who are interested in playing old dos games anyway? ;)

I guess the project started by some Linux developers/programmers, that's why the mount commands are there at all.

Just a guess.

I recently heard of a very cheaply produced (read: bad quality) compilation of Vivendi, selling old Sierra adventures in a package with DOSBOX ... The reviewer, a rather serious adventure games collector from the Larian boards, wrote that this was "a five minutes work" or so, which reflects the quality of the product.

He was also quite annoyed by the fact that they even didn't use filters for display for the old adventures (I know from his earlier posts that these "display filters" can increase the display and look / beauty of a game quite a lot).

So, I just fear that coimpanies will try to exploit this program called DOSBOX : "Someone already developed it for us - so let's go and make some money out of it !"

Version 0.72 is out - http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

This release fixes a few bugs that slipped through when releasing 0.71.
Here a list of the changes:

* Fixed unitialized variable in joystick. (Fixes crashes on Vista and Mac OS X)

* Some bugfixes and speedups to the 64 bit recompiling core.

* Fixed sign flag on soundblaster dma transfers (Space Quest 6 intro)

* Fixed a bug in keyboard layout processing code and fixed certain layouts.

* Fixed Dreamweb.

* Improved speed unlocking when running cycles=max.

* Fixed a crash related to the tab completion in the shell.

* Improved aspect correction code. Should now be like how a real monitor handles it.

* Fixed a bug in the xms status report code. (Blake Stone 1.0 shareware)

* Added a lot more keyboard layouts.

* Fixed crash related to changing the scaler before a screen was created.

* Hopefully fixed compilation on *bsd.

* Enabled auto cpu core selection for recompiling core as well.

* Made the used joystick selectable when 4axis is specified.

* Added some hints for inexperienced DOS users to the shell.

Compatibility should be same as 0.71 and 0.70 aside from the game specific fixes.

Back
Top Bottom