Siege of Avalon

SAGO

Typical RPGWatch user
a rl bro of mine has given me the siege of avalon anthology.

heard it was pretty long.

is it worth playing? i read the reviews of it and they seem pretty positive about it despite criticisms

discuss!

This game is still on my archieve. I remember it is one of the first games in history that released in chapters. If I remember correct first chapter released in 2000. They have released 6 chapters in total and later released an Anthology version on one disc. I have this Anthology version. I remember looking it a bit and set aside to play it in the future (and still waiting to be played :) ). It seemed like a decent game though. The patch's date is pretty new (2010) It has never been a popular game and it's really interesting it still has support.

so its pretty obscure but its p.cool game?

matches what mobygames said about it

i'll give it a spin then and see what its like

I played through the first chapter and parts of the second one. I'm not a hardcore gamer like some of the people here and found the game get a bit boring toward the end of the second chapter.
I did find the story and gameplay mechanics were quite ok, but not amazing.
Of course this was a long time ago, so my opinion might have changed since then if I try it again.

I think gamefaqs has a good faq with character tips, because I think some spells or whatever don't do exactly as described. I'm not sure.

I got it in '02 or '03. Their tagline was 'Play any good books lately?' I think they were going for the Ps:T approach where the reading really makes the game because there is a LOT of reading.

I didn't get very far before something else came up, but I do remember liking it and keep wanting to go back and play it through.

okay watchers, mission report

just completed chapter 1
it kinda plays like diablo(the only real complexity is choosing what stats and gear to use) and there are quite alot of words but nothing to really flex your brain over.

quests are fairly simplistic (so far!) but do require abit of exploration to complete like rescuing your bro, corvus, couldn't find him for 5mins when he was under mah nose

The German modding community is still active - at least they were several years ago, that is - and they are modding/releasing patches to match up the English-language patches up to the German version.

SOA got a similar "patch problem" like Jagged Alliance, if I remember correctly.

www.SOAMIGOS.de
http://www.soamigos.de/wbb/hmportal.php

Edit : Just noticed there is a new page as well : http://www.avalonier.de/
It's a German-language fan page.

SOAmigos also has a few real rarities :

the "Pillars Of Avalon" concept level/demo (the complete game was never made),
and a SOA demo.

The only bad thing is that one can only download things from SOAmigos as a registered user of the forums there.

the game is kinda annoying at times, most of the time in the game i am actually running around between places.

just completed chapter 2 as well, combat has got abit harder as well

p.s, thanks for the links watchers

watchers;

just completed siege of avalon. the final boss was kinda challenging, i was playing a fighter/mage.

i'll give my short and unrefined review, in case other watchers were genuinely interested in the game.

the game has a nice story, non cringe worthy story albeit abit cliché, some c&c, much like the c&c in baldurs gate. the music/ambience is hit and miss really and very repetitive, abit like arcanum where the 1-3 tracks of music play and loop. looks nice in some places. isometric.

the combat, is something like diablo (in otherwords, an action rpg). you gain 'training points' whenever you kill opponents which you can use to increase stats and there are no classes. you can also add characters to your party(2 max) but the AI for them is so stupid, sometimes they just run into opponents that kill them, same applies to the enemies, most enemies can barely damage my character but when mage opponents come up, they can 2 shot my char with fireballs, even with resistances on.

TL;DR ver
Nice story, told in episodes
decentish graphics
Repetitive music
Plays like Diablo
facepalm inducing AI
crazy level difficulty scale

5/10, i wasnt disappointed and i enjoyed it to play it through but there are also alot of frustrations. it was released in 2000 by digital tome, bought it for 3$ second handed. would interest the rpg enthusiast.

final piece of info, a sequel was planned but because of bad advertising (called pillars of avalon), it was cancelled.

Yeah, SOAmigos have a concept demo of POA.

So I guess it wasn't very long after all?

Btw, I'm proud of you, SAGO. You finally contributed to the Watch in a non troll-like fashion. ;)

So I guess it wasn't very long after all?

Btw, I'm proud of you, SAGO. You finally contributed to the Watch in a non troll-like fashion. ;)

well i thought it was quite long for an indie rpg, installed it on the 17th and completed it on the 22nd of march

also, just because im abit of an contrarian doesn't mean im a troll. im not gunna go on a hip hop site and hack the code of the site and place racist caricatures (such as cotton picking, low iq, eating friedchicken & watermelon, having a preference for white women and getting lynched by members of a certain white supremacist group) of black people on it.

Back
Top Bottom