Dragon's Dogma - Preview @ GameBanshee

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameBanshee serves up a preview of Dragon's Dogma for consoles:
Truth be told, I had many doubts about Dragon's Dogma's depth as a role-playing game before trying the demo, and I came away from it with the same exact doubts. As it is, it's difficult to gauge how interesting the experience as a whole will be, whether the game will hold up when exploring its promised vast world map, or just playing through its allegedly 30-40 hours long critical path. What I can say is that the demo provided an enjoyable experience and points to a game with undoubted potential. Arguably, it won't please those that found Skyrim too action-focused, or frowned at Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and its God of War-like combat, but for those that don't mind fast-paced action in their RPGs, Dragon's Dogma is a title worth keeping an eye on.
More information.

Based on that blurb, I guess this one's a pass for me. :p

I haven't played the demo, but I preordered it based on the previews I've seen.

Often compared to Dark Souls and Skyrim, this open world action-rpg was described by OXM as "unexpectedly impressive" and Destructoid.com says, "Dragon's Dogma is gooooood!" Some things that caught my attention were the interesting and varied boss fights, flexible character creation, and level cap of 199.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/02/21/dragons-dogma-video-preview
http://www.oxm.co.uk/40774/features/dragons-dogma-review-what-do-you-want-to-know/
http://www.destructoid.com/preview-dragon-s-dogma-is-gooooood-226258.phtml

The demo didn't do this game any favors by completely hiding any kind of inventory or advancement system. I know some have doubted that this is really an RPG, but the gameplay videos I've seen have shown a pretty elaborate inventory system with plenty of loot, characters gaining levels, gaining new skills, etc. It all looks good to me, but then the bare-bones demo has me wondering if all those "not an RPG" folks know something that I don't...

The demo didn't do this game any favors by completely hiding any kind of inventory or advancement system. I know some have doubted that this is really an RPG, but the gameplay videos I've seen have shown a pretty elaborate inventory system with plenty of loot, characters gaining levels, gaining new skills, etc. It all looks good to me, but then the bare-bones demo has me wondering if all those "not an RPG" folks know something that I don't…

I would say it's a pure "action"-RPG at best.

Unless there's really a lot more to the game than what the demo showed me… but then isn't it the purpose of a demo to show you what you can expect from the game?

That's not to say it won't be fun. I enjoyed the demo, but it's certainly no Elder Scrolls.

Will definitely wait for reviews, but it looks pretty damn good to me. Not sure why Dark Souls is covered here as an RPG and not this... DD looks much closer to an RPG to me.

Back
Top Bottom