The Witcher 2 - 1.7M Sold

Well that sounds great, but Kingdoms of Amalur sold almost that many and was a failure. Wonder what this counts as?

Daniel.

Does that count downloads?

Well that sounds great, but Kingdoms of Amalur sold almost that many and was a failure. Wonder what this counts as?

Daniel.

This game is developed in Poland.

U.S. salaries and costs >>>> Poland salaries and costs

Considering the quality of TW 2 compared to what most U.S. games companies pushes out one can wounder why......

Well the development cost of the pc version was near $10 million USD so I would say yes. They made more than enough but deserved more.

Edit-Changed the amount to be accurate there.:p

Last edited:
Wasn't CDP in some sort of financial trouble itself a while ago, though? 1.7M isn't bad, but I would have expected a little higher actually. I hope it's enough for them. Well I guess not being a US developer still is a bit of a disadvantage, even now.

Well the development cost of the pc version was near $15-25 million so I would say yes.
Source?

Afaik, it was around 25 million, but Polish zloty, not dollars.
Meaning, the cost was around 7 million dollars.

Yes the studio had some financial troubles.
The first Witcher came with some development videos , in one of them they said that they used a Chinese studio to make the models ( and all the NPC models they made were looking Chinese LOL ) , it is likely that they are keeping costs down by moving work here and there.

KoA wasn't a failure.

38 Studios as a business was a failure.

Curt should have hired a few talented people and used his guest house as an office and made the same game with less overhead.

Source?

Afaik, it was around 25 million, but Polish zloty, not dollars.
Meaning, the cost was around 7 million dollars.

Sorry what they spent is the equivalent of $10 million USD here. I don't know what the port job cost though. Remember this is an estimate as I can't find any more proof anywhere else. This was gathered from forums and various news sites

So where was the "$15-25 million" figure gathered from? Better check your sources next time before claiming anything as facts ;).

I guess you didn't read the sorry part did you.;) No need to get an attitude. I was off by 5 million the first time it was an estimate.

They have always had huge obstacles to overcome and better be budget conscious irregardless of sales. The biggest, it's not their license and secondly it is/was an obscure series internationally.

That doesn't even get to the sales limiting game designs, which were aimed at the hardcore audience. Not to mention their Much Too Strict adherence to the series, just to please an even smaller base of book fans will ALWAYS keep this an obscure title with no hope of being a breakout success.

I'm glad they are working on something else, maybe this time they won't constantly handicap themselves.

Would it be fair to assume the XBOX360 version wasn't as successful as they'd want?

Or that the XBOX just isn't that spread in East Europe ?

Back
Top Bottom